Creative Writing Project for 2013: Create a framework for a comic.

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
I've wanted to do this for a long time now, and I think the time is right. We have a lot of fans of comic books and anime here. I also know we have a few comic artists here.

I'd like to do a collaboration of people who love comics and anime coming together to make something new. I'll try to keep it on task, starting with character development, setting, and premise, and then moving on to storyboards, images, and plots in, say, May of 2013.

I'll keep an eye out on facilitating and trying to figure out where to set limits to bring it together, BUT! I'm not an editor and would love to step aside to let someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

I will be starting a number of threads to add layers of discussion without throwing the main work off kilter. We will need something like a poll to decide settings and perhaps plots, but let's get going.

I'd like anyone who is into this to give me two character sketches.

NOW, all of this should work together. But I understand that a bunch of us have dream characters and dream ideas that we'd all like to see in a trade paperback. So write them out. But be aware that they may have to change to accommodate things, and we may need to cut some things out because they're totally outside of the realm of what we've agreed on.

Also, here's what I want in a character sketch:

Name: <Endo Ichigo>
Brief descriptor of the character that tells us why we care: <Endo is a fairly normal japanese male, with the exception of the fact that he can see angels. He can't see demons. Endo is very used to this phenomena and doesn't really care. Ninjael is his guardian angel.>
Story that tells us what the character wants and what they need to do to get there and what's in their way: <Endo desperately wants to fall in love but none of the girls he knows meet his discriminating standards. He needs to find a good enough girl and win their hearts, but he's afraid of offending girls' angel guardians.>
Physical descriptor that tells you that you can recognize the character: <Endo wears a black leather biker's jacket at all times and a green ball-cap with a grey underside. He wears blue or grey or black jeans (it changes from day to day) and he either wears white earbuds or over-the-head phones, like Beats or something. He is tall and thin and has short-to-mid length black hair and clear black eyes.>

That's it for now. He will have to grow.

Also, he doesn't count for what we're doing. And, I'm not going first.

I'm not much on anime or manga. I think they tend to involve more drama then I care for. But perhaps that had to do with my sampling of the art form. I do greatly enjoy certain webcomics (i.e. Dr McNinja, Bearmageddon, Axe Cop and before it ended Ratfist). Perhaps due to the humor involved that I don't see in Anime. Not that Anime doesn't have humor, more because of the type of humor.

Regardless, I certainly can provide a couple character profiles that have been roaming around my brain for quite some time. Did you want them in this thread or should they go in a different one?

Christian gamers slice of life manga.

Like if Konata from Lucky Star was a Christian.

So much fun.

Christian gamers slice of life manga.

Like if Konata from Lucky Star was a Christian.

So much fun.

That is sooooooo odd. I was just following a YouTube train and it dropped me off on a video of Konata playing a MMO. I was like who is this chick, and read up on Lucky Star for the first time, only to then read this post 30 mins later...

Moving a bit forward (I'm not launching out For Official until January) is going to be a bit tricky, I think.

My goal is to make something collaborative. That means something that joins our talents together to make something that none of us can call ours, but that we can all own. The goal is that this isn't my little burrito, or Patriot's or Ewoks's, but that it's a mashup of varying degrees, made special by the inclusion of different and often contrasting visions.

But, at the same time, it can't be completely disjoint or it will become a schmauz.
So the biggest problem that I'm facing is "how do we come up with a setting that respects our talents but is still homogenous?" I don't want to simply vote on it, since I don't think it is a democratic process.

This problem is going to repeat itself when we think about characterization (by which I mean when we give our characters roles) and plots.

Any thoughts? First-come first-serve isn't the greatest idea either, as good ideas should get precedence.

First, I suggest a Teamspeak meeting with those interested. Flesh out a plan. Designate a leader (Neirai). See how things work.

It won't be perfect the first time. Getting something down like this with different personalities involved will take time.

Second, do we have any artists interested? I can't even draw a nice looking star. lol.

I think Josh is right, by the way. Gathering the group together on Teamspeak to shoot ideas back and forth might be a great idea. I'm usually very available on Tuesday nights from about 7:30 to 10:00 Mountain time. I know that's prime TF2 time, but it's my most predictable time.

I have sporadic and unpredictable availability. I also have very limited art skills (generally limited to 3D hard surface modelling).

Back