Content management systems

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
What content management system do you think is the best? While I use PHP-Nuke for all of the web sites I currently manage, I'd like to branch out and try some new systems.

If you have any suggestions, please post them here with a brief description and link to the CMS's home page.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Tek, what kind of CMS solution are you looking for? High end? Enterprise solution? Java? ASP? Or are you staying in "PHP + MySQL = Free" land?

I've been researching and working with various CMS's for the past 2 years so I can point you to a whole whack of solutions, but strangely enough, I haven't gotten into PHP-Nuke yet.
rock.gif

Obviosly, CGA is currently using PHP Nuke. Most of the other Unix CMS's are much like Nuke anyway...but for some change you might want to try Geeklog. I host a geeklog website for Sir Ryan, which is here.

If you want to convert, Tek, let me know, because I am the webmaster
biggrin.gif

for my personal websites (wrighton.org) I built my own using the Rich Text Editor found here http://www.openmymind.net/ using PHP

for my Apologetics site I built my own using the Rich Text Editor found here http://www.fredck.com/FCKeditor/ using ASP.Net (the backend is .net while the front end is classic ASP)

With my company I've built a number of them using various Rich Text Editors. FCKEditor is my favorite, with the best feature set and the greatest price (free)

Dot Net Nuke is built of the IBuySpy portal Microsoft used as a demo for its technology. The portal is very robust and we used it at my work for a custom CMS solution. The only problem would be its possible dependency on using SQL Server as the backend database.

Actually, we use the FCKEditor on the ToJ website for the news and calendar forms. Although it is just an WYSIWYG editor. It doesn't do any other type of content management.

Post Nuke is another popular Nuke variant. CCGR uses a CMS for ASP called MaxWebPortal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Dec. 29 2003,2:49)]Tek, what kind of CMS solution are you looking for?  High end?  Enterprise solution?  Java?  ASP?  Or are you staying in "PHP + MySQL = Free" land?
*shrug* Meh, whatever's good. I'm thinking of re-launching my personal site using a different CMS (I use PHP-Nuke for it right now), but I don't have much experience with any systems outside of PHP-Nuke and PostNuke. MaxWebPortal looks cool...*scratches chin sagely*

Just something more suited to personal sites, free, and would operate on an inexpensive web host. And no blog-based something-or-other. Even though it's only for a personal site, I'd like it to be as robust as possible. I have several photo galleries I need to keep online and allow my friends to post to the site as well.

What can I say? I'm a demanding web consumer.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PureFun @ Dec. 29 2003,8:20)]If you want to convert, Tek, let me know, because I am the webmaster
biggrin.gif
Oh, this wouldn't be for CGA. PHP-Nuke is a perfect fit, actually. We've got all we need for the site--even some custom PHP-Nuke modules! The only reason we haven't added review and gallery sections is because CCGR and Creation in Digital cover those aspects and it'd be silly to duplicate their work.

And the only reason we don't use the built-in phpBB2-to-Nuke forums is because converting nearly 50,000 posts and 800 users to a new forum system would be an absolute nightmare. Believe me. I spent about four hours one night a few months back researching it. Gave me a headache. >_< Oh, and phpBB2 doesn't have all the features we use in IkonBoard.

Buuut, back to topic. CGA + PHP-Nuke = good.

I figured this might be a good place to post this.

My church wants me to build a website for catering to thier needs. They need to be able to admin and manage it on their own. There are a few people there that are semi-computer savvy, nothing too great though. I currently run a test site using PHP-nuke, but it doesn't do what I need.

Heres what it needs to do:
I need to post a full word for word with pictures copy of the Church newsletter. It's about 5 pages of 3/4 size newspaper.
I need to manage information regarding service times, contact information, and other churchy stuff.

If anyone has some examples of some nicely done church websites that I could use as a model, that would be awesome.

The menus are kind of dodgy in mozilla firebird for Kidan's Church's website. Nice in IE though. You coded all of that yourself?

Thad's got a nice design, and that cascading menu popup has a link to the main website in the source. That may be the way to go, it looks nice, and can do just what I need it to. PHP nuke really wasn't that great for this purpose anyway.

I just need to get that newsletter online. Thats the main thing that the church council wants. Maybe an Adobe PDF is in order?

que. the menu is a drop in control I got from somewhere and the RichText Editor for the admin side I got from somewhere. everything else yeah. it's what I do
biggrin.gif

I'm currently building a image gallery for it right now
biggrin.gif

as for Firebird, I know it works in Mozilla, and I thought they were the same code base. I'll have to look into that.

It's probably my version, I'm using a nightly build of 0.7-beta from awhile back. I'll get it up to the release version of .7 sometime.

there's also plenty of free convertors for Word format to PDF (online, you upload the file, they'll email it to you as a pdf)

Back