Contemplative Prayer

Gaming4JC

What do you think God thinks about contemplative prayer?

Definition of Contemplative Spirituality: a belief system that uses ancient mystical practices to induce altered states of consciousness (the silence) and is often wrapped in Christian terminology; the premise of contemplative spirituality is pantheistic (God is all) and panentheistic (God is in all).

I have my own thoughts on it, but I figure I'll wait and see some responses first...

Contemplative Prayer is an accepted type of Christian prayer - contemplative spirituality as you define it here is a totally different beast.

If somebody came to me and asked for the definition of Contemplative Prayer and Spirituality in a Christian context, I would define it as:

Contemplative prayer: Prayer centered on the Lord, not on my wants or needs. Thanksgiving and praise, silence and simply listening for the Lords voice. What is God saying to me?

Contemplative spirituality: A life centered on God. A life where you seek Gods will over your own. A life where you allow Gods Word to form you from the inside out and outside in. How does God want me to live?

I think the world has tried to take some meditation techniques and given them a twist to trap us. When I think of the difference I think what the world has done is to say, contemplate on a word or thing and repeat it (or something similar) to center yourself so you can be open for a spiritual experience. Where as I contemplate upon God, and the most physical thing I know about God is Gods creation. When thinking on Gods creation, I don't sit there and repeat a word over and over until I enter some sill state of mind, emotion, physical or spiritual, I give thanks to the Lord and praise for the creation and I pause to listen to the Lord.

the tl;dr version:

New age: Center on thing or word until you have some epiphany.
My definition: Center on God to learn more about God, to become closer to God.

@Icthus: Lighthouse Trails Research.
@ewoksrule: amen! Very interesting website too, I didn't find that one myself. :)
@Abba San: Indeed, the old term of contemplation "thinking on deeply" is not the same as this new terminology.

@Avesther: Yes, I think we're pretty much on the same ground there. Though as many other words I think Christians should try to steer away from the word since it has so much of a new age over-tone. We as christians contemplate only by thinking and dwelling on God and His Word in a sound mind, not any silence/repetition or altered state of consciousness. The same goes true for the word meditation as it occurs in the Bible, obviously we are to mediate on God's word, but this means prayerfully dwelling on it not mindless.

The purpose of contemplative prayer is to enter an altered state of consciousness in order to find one's true self, thus finding God. This true self relates to the belief that man is basically good. Proponents of contemplative prayer teach that all human beings have a divine center and that all, not just born again believers, should practice contemplative prayer.

"Contemplative consciousness," says [Thomas] Merton, is "a trans-cultural, trans-religious, trans-formed consciousness … it can shine through this or that system, religious or irreligious"(Thoughts on the East, p.34)

More info: http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/cp.htm

Psalm 1:
1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

When you look up the word "meditate" in the original language you get the phrase for a "cow chewing its cud" this is a process where a cow chews on a piece of food then regurgitates it back up and re-chews it. With the multiple stomachs a cow has this can be a long process of chewing and regurgitating.

I think that is how we are to look at meditation as Christians. Take a piece of The Word and chew on it over and over. Bring it back up for more chewing on. This is not the process of emptying oneself nor the process of focusing on a single thing until everything else melts away. It is constantly chewing on the food throughout the day and hopefully finding new ways to apply it to your life.

Sounds a lot like those pentecostal sect believers (those that can speak in tongues and stuff). Don't know why I can't or what I'm lacking, neither do I know enough to be for it or against it but is that what you're talkin about? Or are you just talking about 'getting into' it? However, anything works, but don't think repeating the same words over and over again (as mentioned in the link) is going to make a difference, as in the bible it was mentioned something along the lines of keep it simple, many words are just for man. Rather, pray in quiet and in secret.

Last edited:
Back