Community Idea

Dchsknight

Tribe of Judah Minecraft Community Manager
So no matter what way the server restart poll goes, I would like to propose a community project idea. Someone stated they would like to see more activity on the server, So would I! I think a good way to do that is to get everyone involved in building something.

I would like to propose a community castle project where we all decide on an architecture or building material and we all contribute to building a large (and I do mean large) castle. Fully furnished and sustaining, but I would like to do so legit. No admins providing any mats no flying and full of mobs and such. And of course we cant all be on at the same time but we could all contribute in our ways to make this work. There would be community tools and mats for us all to use. Maybe a kind of System where we write down what we used so that the gatherers can go get more etc.

Now when I say castle I am thinking of something big... Like this for example.>>

vglm1mih-800x447.jpg

Now this is a build of King's Landing from the Game of Thrones story. I am not thinking some this exceptionally large but maybe... It could be massive But I think it would cool to do something like this together. I think it would be cool to all pick a resource pack and all of use it together. so we are all seeing the same thing.

What are all your thoughts on this?

If you put plans on the forum or somewhere that we could follow then allow anyone who wants or helps to decorate part of the castle to their liking that might be doable. I joined a server once to help a buddy, but I didn't know what the overall vision for a build was so aside from digging holes, contributing mats and simple things like finishing a wall, I wasn't much help.

If you put plans on the forum or somewhere that we could follow then allow anyone who wants or helps to decorate part of the castle to their liking that might be doable. I joined a server once to help a buddy, but I didn't know what the overall vision for a build was so aside from digging holes, contributing mats and simple things like finishing a wall, I wasn't much help.

Oh there will be, but before we can do that we need to see how many would interested and pick a architecture style and main building mat for it.

This sounds like a great idea. Lets see how this poll plays out, though it looks like the majority (thats voted anyways) wants a new map?

If thats how it will be, maybe we can designate this new mega-build as spawn?

I'm down for this. I normally build small size castles (100x100) wherever I play so it sounds fun. Only question is whether the restart is going to be pure vanilla or modified vanilla before I can commit.

Plus with all the traveling I do, I can't get on very often.

I love the idea of a community build. I'm not architecturally gifted, but if I have a blueprint, I can follow it. If I know what resources are needed, I'll assist in getting them.

I would take it a step further, and build the city "organically". Form up teams:
- a logger's camp, responsible for harvesting, planting, and stockpiling various types of wood.
- a carpenter's guild, who processes the logs into planks, sticks, fences, gates, etc.
- a miner's camp, responsible for harvesting stone, ores, gravel, dirt.
- a stonemason's guild, responsible for processing stone into bricks, smooth stone, etc.
- a blacksmith's guild, refining ores into ingots and blocks
- a farming community, responsible for planting and harvesting crops and tending livestock.
- a butcher/baker guild, responsible for refining the crops and meats into food items

Each camp/guild would have their own in-game location, complete with workshop, storage, and housing. Some, like the logging, mining, and farming, will obviously be a bit away from the city. Others, like the carpenters and stonemasons will be closer to the city. Eventually, new guilds would form, like a merchant's guild, public works (for water, safety), military, political, thieve's guild, etc.

A new map would be ideal, but if we pick a remote location on the current server, we could have everyone start "fresh" when they move to the new location, possibly only bringing in their stone/wood tools from their former life.

Vanilla would work fine for this. Modded would also work, of course then you would throw in additional guild needs:
- Toolsmith (Tinker's Construct)
- Power (Buildcraft, Thermal Expansion, Nuclear Reactors, IC2, etc)
- Mage guild (Botania, Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Witchery)
- Furnishings (Bibliocraft)
- Industrialization (Applied Energistics, Factorization, Steve's Carts, Steve's Factory Manager)
- Beekepers (Forestry)
- Engineers (Railcraft)
- Armory (Powersuits)
- Florist (Botany)

I'd say start simple, keep it vanilla. Maybe consider adding in Tinker's Construct to allow customized tools to assist in the harvesting/gathering process (vanilla tools still work, but TC tools are better). Don't go whole hog - not yet anyways.

Announce a start date for the project. Maybe send out a survey team to pick a suitable location on the existing server. I'll be there :)

I am not sure we would have enough people to do all that, but we definitely could at least build all those things.

And as for spawn that would be cool to! I do how ever really like the idea of a beacon in the center at spawn.

As for blue prints we can find them all over the internet or I can just draw some up with graph paper(really old school) and then we can vote on which ones we like.

as for architecture style, we could do All sorts however I personally would like to push the creative juices as we do this. This youtube series has been a blessing when it comes to building in minecraft for me.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL673hsQx0Zth9DfmlXpnPjzUz0sxyWnJT (Might be some language have not watched it in a bit dont remember) This is a guy named Devilhunter who does tuts and such for minecraft.

As for the styles I like:

Dwarven: Basically Large over sized halls and geometric shapes. This might be the easier of them to do. It might also be really time consuming as the buildings will be massive.

Elvish: Very lithe and lanky in the buildings very flowing and organic feel to it all.

Human: Some what militarized, very traditional fantasy.

Modern: Like real life but adding in modern castles(mansions)

Future: very spacey feeling or even Asgard from the Thor movies.

Mix: Taking aspects we like from a bunch of different styles.

For the mats Most I see people use stone brick or nether brick,

If we choose say like a desert to build in we can do sand stone or if we do a watery biome we can do clay.

OH speaking of Biomes we would need to choose a biome if we do not want to do at spawn. That might be a big factor. but I am sure we can pick a biome and move the spawn.

Also what about a resource pack. I feel we should pick one all of us use it. Because we might build something in our own way and have it look cool with our resource pack but if someone is using something different it might look really goofy and turn people off from playing.

Personally I use Sphax. I also like Ozocraft but that is really dark. DokuCraft is good as well.

Re: population - people can pull "double-duty", working both as logger and carpenter, or miner and mason. The concept is to create designated areas for each "profession", theming them appropriately. If we're doing an organic build, it would stand to reason that a logging camp might start as a small wood cabin in the forest, then as more people join the camp, it becomes a village unto itself. A dedicated carpentry shop would be created as demand for that type of material increases. Starting small would actually be beneficial to an organic build.

Re: architecture - I'm thinking more of a human/modern style, but allowing individual areas, particularly the outlying ones, to be themed based on the populace. For instance, I could create a human logging camp area, but the mines could be dwarven themed. We could even have two different mining outposts - one dwarven, one human. I would imagine the main city would be mostly human in nature, but there may be elements from other racials (like an elvish grove in the heart of town, or a harbor that is staffed by an aquatic race, and themed appropriately (or even a second harbor for this other race).

Re: mats - it would be REALLY nice to get the Chisel mod running, which allows simple blocks like stone bricks to be transformed into a variety of other patterns, allowing for more choices in architecture. Similarly, Carpenter's Blocks would allow slopes and ramps, allowing us to get away from stair-stepped roofs, and providing a rolling landscape within the town without the chunkiness of steps or slabs. While that would require a minor number of mods, it would only impact aesthetics, as these mods don't provide any functional blocks that I'm aware of (like machines, weapons, etc. that might impact game balance and performance)

Re: biomes - if we are considering a human or modern town, plains/forest might work best. If there is interest in a dwarven mining outpost, that could evolve into a large dwarven city in the mountains, complete with mineshafts, railcarts, and the blocky structures you spoke of. I don't see swamp or sea being a biome that we would want to build anything massive in, as I can't think of many examples of large-scale cities in these climates.

Re: population - people can pull "double-duty", working both as logger and carpenter, or miner and mason. The concept is to create designated areas for each "profession", theming them appropriately. If we're doing an organic build, it would stand to reason that a logging camp might start as a small wood cabin in the forest, then as more people join the camp, it becomes a village unto itself. A dedicated carpentry shop would be created as demand for that type of material increases. Starting small would actually be beneficial to an organic build.

Re: architecture - I'm thinking more of a human/modern style, but allowing individual areas, particularly the outlying ones, to be themed based on the populace. For instance, I could create a human logging camp area, but the mines could be dwarven themed. We could even have two different mining outposts - one dwarven, one human. I would imagine the main city would be mostly human in nature, but there may be elements from other racials (like an elvish grove in the heart of town, or a harbor that is staffed by an aquatic race, and themed appropriately (or even a second harbor for this other race).

Re: mats - it would be REALLY nice to get the Chisel mod running, which allows simple blocks like stone bricks to be transformed into a variety of other patterns, allowing for more choices in architecture. Similarly, Carpenter's Blocks would allow slopes and ramps, allowing us to get away from stair-stepped roofs, and providing a rolling landscape within the town without the chunkiness of steps or slabs. While that would require a minor number of mods, it would only impact aesthetics, as these mods don't provide any functional blocks that I'm aware of (like machines, weapons, etc. that might impact game balance and performance)

Re: biomes - if we are considering a human or modern town, plains/forest might work best. If there is interest in a dwarven mining outpost, that could evolve into a large dwarven city in the mountains, complete with mineshafts, railcarts, and the blocky structures you spoke of. I don't see swamp or sea being a biome that we would want to build anything massive in, as I can't think of many examples of large-scale cities in these climates.

I think most of the people have voted for no mods so we will need to look at what to do with out them.

With regard to mods - I fully expect to be playing on a vanilla map, and that's just fine. I looked over the poll thread again, and I saw two comments related to mods:

Wolfeman said:
I don't mind mods that add to the gameplay. I generally just ignore them and let others use them as they wish. However mods or alterations that take away from the game (such as the creeper nerf) make the game completely unenjoyable for me.
Kahiel said:
As for mods, I've never played with them much. I like the gotospawn command and the warp wall and command block returns. I see mod packs and think "wow, that looks cool!" but as I investigate and start to realize that "wow, that's really complicated." I'm not sure I have the patience to get a degree in engineering so I can build a simple steam engine to water my garden, as cool as that sounds. (This from the guy who made the "hidden" gate and entrances to my castle and the self-harvesting garden...)

The mods I last suggested (Chisel, Carpenter's Blocks) are minor aesthetic/cosmetic mods that add new block textures. They don't have to be used, don't detract form the game, and don't require a "4 year degree" to use if you choose to. I only mention/suggest them because they will add a lot of textural variations for minimal additional effort. For those unfamiliar with these mods, the links are below:

Chisel: http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224329-chisel-1-7 (click the spoiler button in the description area)
Carpenter's Blocks: http://www.carpentersblocks.com/tutorial.html

The other mod I had suggested was Tinker's Construct. Again, players are not required to use this mod (in fact, it might be more "roleplay" if only members of the tinker's guild did!), but it adds the ability to create custom tools and weapons by assembling parts together. The link below is the best resource I can find at the moment to describe it:

Tinker's Construct: http://ftbwiki.org/Tinkers'_Construct

Please understand that I'm NOT advocating that we must play with these mods - I only mention them because they add a great deal of variety without significantly changing the fundamental concepts in vanilla (TC might be a bit of a stretch, which is why I've separated that from the other two). Modding is a loose term that can mean MANY different things, from changing the entire game to a zombie apocalypse pr a spaceship-themed planetary survival game. Through modding, it's possible to industrialize and automate everything, making the game run (with lag) on autopilot. It can become a destructive, nuclear weapon-wielding, insta-death force field, PvP arena. However, there are other mods out there that only seek to enhance the vanilla experience by providing additional information, new textures, and introduce other minor changes that stay true to the original concept of simple survival. The latter of these is what I'm specifically speaking of; I don't seek to change the world or how it works.

Please tell me if I'm ranting too much about modding. I will shut up (I promise). I feel like many people simply turn away from modding because they've never tried it, or don't understand it - or because any modding they've seen has been seen to cause drastic changes to the world. It doesn't have to be that way - it can be a simple mod like WAILA (What Am I Looking At?) that puts a (configurable) tooltip box on your screen that explains what block you're looking at and whether you can successfully harvest it with your current tool. It can be NEI (Not Enough Items) that allows you to look up the recipe for any item in game from your inventory screen. Even the /gotospawn and /home commands are only available because of a mod.

Back on topic - I'd love to be a part of any of the guilds/camps I mentioned, should we try for an organic build. I'd even volunteer to be on a survey team to scout out potential sites for the new town. If it's only two or three of us to start, that's fine too :)

With regard to mods - I fully expect to be playing on a vanilla map, and that's just fine. I looked over the poll thread again, and I saw two comments related to mods:

The mods I last suggested (Chisel, Carpenter's Blocks) are minor aesthetic/cosmetic mods that add new block textures. They don't have to be used, don't detract form the game, and don't require a "4 year degree" to use if you choose to. I only mention/suggest them because they will add a lot of textural variations for minimal additional effort. For those unfamiliar with these mods, the links are below:

Chisel: http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224329-chisel-1-7 (click the spoiler button in the description area)
Carpenter's Blocks: http://www.carpentersblocks.com/tutorial.html

The other mod I had suggested was Tinker's Construct. Again, players are not required to use this mod (in fact, it might be more "roleplay" if only members of the tinker's guild did!), but it adds the ability to create custom tools and weapons by assembling parts together. The link below is the best resource I can find at the moment to describe it:

Tinker's Construct: http://ftbwiki.org/Tinkers'_Construct

Please understand that I'm NOT advocating that we must play with these mods - I only mention them because they add a great deal of variety without significantly changing the fundamental concepts in vanilla (TC might be a bit of a stretch, which is why I've separated that from the other two). Modding is a loose term that can mean MANY different things, from changing the entire game to a zombie apocalypse pr a spaceship-themed planetary survival game. Through modding, it's possible to industrialize and automate everything, making the game run (with lag) on autopilot. It can become a destructive, nuclear weapon-wielding, insta-death force field, PvP arena. However, there are other mods out there that only seek to enhance the vanilla experience by providing additional information, new textures, and introduce other minor changes that stay true to the original concept of simple survival. The latter of these is what I'm specifically speaking of; I don't seek to change the world or how it works.

Please tell me if I'm ranting too much about modding. I will shut up (I promise). I feel like many people simply turn away from modding because they've never tried it, or don't understand it - or because any modding they've seen has been seen to cause drastic changes to the world. It doesn't have to be that way - it can be a simple mod like WAILA (What Am I Looking At?) that puts a (configurable) tooltip box on your screen that explains what block you're looking at and whether you can successfully harvest it with your current tool. It can be NEI (Not Enough Items) that allows you to look up the recipe for any item in game from your inventory screen. Even the /gotospawn and /home commands are only available because of a mod.

Back on topic - I'd love to be a part of any of the guilds/camps I mentioned, should we try for an organic build. I'd even volunteer to be on a survey team to scout out potential sites for the new town. If it's only two or three of us to start, that's fine too :)

Oh I dont think your ranting. What ever BL says I am good with.

I would love to be able to introduce people to those mods, but as I understand it, they are both server and client mods. If a server has those mods enabled, the client must have them, or they wont be able to connect.

While that seems easy enough for those of us who have heavily played modded MC, those who havent might have a hard time getting them to install, or even run..

That being said, I am all for it, if thats how we want to go, since the do not change gameplay at all, unless you want to use them.

Thoughts?

I would love to be able to introduce people to those mods, but as I understand it, they are both server and client mods. If a server has those mods enabled, the client must have them, or they wont be able to connect.

While that seems easy enough for those of us who have heavily played modded MC, those who havent might have a hard time getting them to install, or even run..

That being said, I am all for it, if thats how we want to go, since the do not change gameplay at all, unless you want to use them.

Thoughts?

I would be ok with mod that do not change gameplay. Just tell me what ones and how to install them and we are good.

Ok, if thats the direction that we decide to go, I will put together a "mod pack" that people can download, that will be all set up for them. And maybe a video to import them into MultiMC (which everyone should be using as their launcher anyways, even if using FTB or ATLauncher packs ;) )

Scouting Report #1

I journeyed across the sea to the southeast (600 clicks east and 150 clicks south), and discovered a land of diverse resources and possibilities. The area boasts natural fungus vegetation, large wooded areas, and I have already located a variety of stone, including granite, which could be useful in our construction projects.

There is a nearby field that, with a bit of terraforming, would provide for our agricultural needs. I have seen sheep and rabbits so far, but no sign of other food sources.

A bit further east, some of the natives have setup a village on top of a chasm; perhaps we could establish a mining base in the vicinity and use the villagers as cheap labor - they have already discovered emeralds, but after talking with a few fisherman, they seem to be short on string - I'm sure we could arrange a trade.

Just east of that village is a sizable desert, which could be quarried for our glass-making operations.

North of the field is a dense, lush forest. I would recommend preserving it (for the time being) to allow the woodcutter's society to feel at home as they setup their logging operation.

If this site is chosen, I would recommend establishing the main base south of the fields and proposed mining camp. There is a large peninsula that would make an excellent harbor, but if we find the bay to be landlocked, a canal could be dug to the west to connect it to the ocean.

I will continue my exploration to determine if other sites may be more amenable to our colonization efforts.

Scouting Report #1

I journeyed across the sea to the southeast (600 clicks east and 150 clicks south), and discovered a land of diverse resources and possibilities. The area boasts natural fungus vegetation, large wooded areas, and I have already located a variety of stone, including granite, which could be useful in our construction projects.

There is a nearby field that, with a bit of terraforming, would provide for our agricultural needs. I have seen sheep and rabbits so far, but no sign of other food sources.

A bit further east, some of the natives have setup a village on top of a chasm; perhaps we could establish a mining base in the vicinity and use the villagers as cheap labor - they have already discovered emeralds, but after talking with a few fisherman, they seem to be short on string - I'm sure we could arrange a trade.

Just east of that village is a sizable desert, which could be quarried for our glass-making operations.

North of the field is a dense, lush forest. I would recommend preserving it (for the time being) to allow the woodcutter's society to feel at home as they setup their logging operation.

If this site is chosen, I would recommend establishing the main base south of the fields and proposed mining camp. There is a large peninsula that would make an excellent harbor, but if we find the bay to be landlocked, a canal could be dug to the west to connect it to the ocean.

I will continue my exploration to determine if other sites may be more amenable to our colonization efforts.

http://imgur.com/3TpNrCm

Notes included in PNG. I prefer 1 and 3. i am gonna start building at 3.

Back