Big Brother

Most "reality" shows are an exscuse for immoral behaviour imho....except maybe Survivor...that is mostly still acceptable...... personally I do not watch the ones we get here in SA ... only Survivor

Well, even Survivor is questionable in the sense of honour and lack of principles ....

Reality shows...stink. Something badly.
But if you're really talking about Big Brother...
Yeah. I think we're too close to Big Brother...closer than I'd like, and closer than ignorant America will acknowledge. Pssh.
But I never got the point of the show...what WAS its point?

i personally despise them all.

Not so much because i'ma Christian, but just because it's horrid entertainment. There's no humour, no true drama, no real action. It's all backbiting, and shock.

That said, none of the shows promote a Christian worldview

We can break down reality shows into 3 categories
1) Fear/Feats
2) Love/Marriage
3) Elimination

The first category, spearheaded by FearFActor and Dog eat Dog all promote recklessness. They instill a sense of defiance of the odds and abandonment of taboo and removal of fears. The Bible teaches us to not tempt the Lord our God, yet if we perform these stunts, is that not what we are doing?

the second category, characterized by Joe Millionaire and the Bachelor make a mockery of the God ordained covenant of marriage. The are selling their right to this beautiful covenant relationship, for the chance to be on TV

The third category, with a following of shows such as Big Brother and Survivor. These teach the lesson that the sneakiest person wins. Rather than promoting love and understanding (as is the Christian way) they tell that if you are loving, you will be eliminated. Compassion (which is essential to a Christian's walk) is a weakness in a survival of the fittest world, and survivor and big brother are survival of the fittest worlds.

I avoid them simply for the fact that I think they have no entertainment value.

Isn't Big Brother some sort of antichrist guy? When the gov't marks us all (not christians) with teh Mark of the Beast (aka gov't registration, databases, etc.) 1984 is quite Christian, imo.

OH THAT BIG BROTHER...
I thank God (truly) that it doesn't air in Canada (AFAIK). One less reality show for ppl to watch.

I've seen a few people take advantage of the popularity of reality TV to spread the word. I remember one guy on survivor who praised God on a regular basis.

well think of these stunts they're doing. playing with poisionous snakes. doing things really high in the air. a majority of these stunts could be life-taking (though truthfully with the safety equipment that's not really a problem on the tv show) but anyways, the actuality is that these people are doing these stunts and basically saying they are doing them by their own power. They don't need God's protection, rather they trust in their safety equipment and/or their own selves.

That's how. Rather than placing their trust in God, and by extension, not doing rather stupid things which places their God-given life in danger, they place their trust in themselves and their safety equipment, and thrust that gift from God into a danger zone.

"Walk fifty feet on an inch-thin thread, while digesting disease-ridden earthworms, and do the hokey-pokey for money. Watch. If you fall you'll just bungee up. Ohhh...whoops. That wasn't supposed to happen. Tough luck down there, fella!"
It could be testing God in this way: "Heeey, Lord, if you exist, catch me before I strike the ground!" or it could be akin to "God doesn't exist, else He would not let me hit the ground. Watch...He either does or doesn't."
Who knows? Maybe that doesn't even go through the minds of the people, since well over half of America doesn't believe in God.

You can only serve one God. And people will do anything for the God they serve. Including eating disease ridden worms while walking on a 1" tightwire 100' above the concrete with nothing more then a mesh net to keep you from splattering your brains all over the place.

I don't think it is as much tempting God (these stunt shows) as it is serving another God.

If they are.
Maybe it's just fun, too. I like to have fun. I like to do stupid stuff and have fun. Like running through Walgreen's...and running and leaping over parking curbs, or trying to clear those realty signs.
It's fun...not serving another god...or not serving God. Now, say, "Run through the mindfield blindfolded! And grab the moneypot before the Arabs RPG you! Go go go!"
Is that fun? Or is it godlessness? Or just plain stupidity?

Back