Beta experience to date

Xaris

I have been involved with the game since mid Alpha. I have nowhere near played as much as I could have. Being married with two small children, a pastor in the midst of moving to a new church, and playing Aion and WoW as well, my time in Eorzea has been limited.

Originally I was playing on my laptop as my other comp needed an upgrade to play the game. My LT has a centrino duel 2.8 and vid card is an ATI HD 4550, 4 gig ram and runs win 7. With that I can run the beta on lowest settings but is still choppy. On the benchmark I scored just over 1000 on low settings with this.

I recently upgraded my desktop with a gigabit UD2 mobo, Intel i5 quad core 2.8, 8MB cache and a Nvidia GTX 460 768MB. With this the benchmark scored 3900 on low but the beta phase 3 runs good at just under maxed settings. For those who look at the benchmark and seem discouraged, do not be as the benchmark was optimized at the alpha stage of development. The game has been well developed graphically and optimized better since then.

At this time in beta the lvl cap is set at 30 and only about 15% of the game is available to us. With that we have all been limited to Limsa Lominsa as the starting city.

As the alpha and beta phases have moved on SE has been taking very seriously the suggestions (and raging complaints; nobody is ever happy) and implemented them with each new phase. This is encouraging as they are listening to the player base and building a game the players would like to see. I foresee this happening even after release for future updates. But as new things come into play and other things get tossed or changed, you will always get those who will say it was for the worst.

I have yet to do any crafting. I plan to in the next day or two and will update this then.

At this time there are still a number of bugs SE are aware of and are fixing, such as UI lag, character development, crafting balancing (so I read), tweaking exp and rewards for balance. It seems right now way to easy to lvl and to do so soloing. However there are greater rewards for doing the quests and guildleves in a group. As such the game seems friendly for both soloing and grouping. Money also seems easy to come by.

I have only played as a conjurer so far and will be expanding that in the next week or so.

There is much I could say but will refrain as to not spoil too much. If you have any burning questions that I could answer please feel free to post them and I will do my best to answer.

Awesome. It is nice to hear from someone inside the game. :)

I have a question though. How do you think someone who is an alt-aholic in WoW will like this game since it is limited to having only one character?

Last edited:
How is the combat compared to other MMOs?
What's one of the most glaring issues that you've seen so far?
How bad is the grind?
What's one thing you love about the game so far?

1. What is point system of crafting skills like? by the hundreds, or leveled up like the other disciplines? But you already knew this question, answer at your leisure. Just a reminder. =)
2. What's the guild interface like? Is it as limited as Aion, or is there a lot of customizing available? How many ranks is there, or can there be?

1. What is point system of crafting skills like? by the hundreds, or leveled up like the other disciplines? But you already knew this question, answer at your leisure. Just a reminder. =)
2. What's the guild interface like? Is it as limited as Aion, or is there a lot of customizing available? How many ranks is there, or can there be?

I am not in the beta, but I know the answer to these...

1.) They currently level just like the other disciplines, and will probably be able to go to the same rank as the others (as that how it is right now).

2.) All of the Linkshell features have yet to be added...currently it is just a communication device...however, it is confirmed that this will change...

Jon
1) I also suffer from alt-aholicism in WoW. In beta right now we can have three characters, though I do not see the need for more than one. From what I understand you are not limited to only one character. Each character can level in all classes and crafts etc. And switching classes is easy; just switch what you hold in your hand. And that switch can be done anywhere unlike FFO1. I personally find this liberating not having to level several toons at the same time in order to experince everything. I suppose though if you want to follow the story line for each faction then you would need a few characters.

Strife
1) I can verify what Xion has said about crafting.
2) Regarding Linkshells, I am not part of one in the beta as most of them are asking you to join them after beta, and I can not do that. I suppose I could start my own in the beta for only the beta to see what the guild interface is like compared to Aions. If I do I'll let you know how it is.

Keero
1) not sure if there is a comparable mmo in combat except the first FFO. If you played that then you will have an idea what this combat is like. It is slower than Aion, WoW, Lotro, but more realistic.
2) a)The economy. It may seem that money is easy to come by in guildleves, however the lack of an AH is noticeable for trade. The Bazaar system is different and workable, but you have to search through 1000's of personal stores to find stuff.
2 b) grouping - almost no need to group and it is hard to find people to group with. Since it can be easy to solo everyone wants to move at their own pace. Yet if you are part of a LS this should not be an issue.
2 c) information on the mechanics and systems of the game. Almost no intro on how things work and the manual at this time is lacking imo. Most information on how things work such as crafting, guildleves, and combat have come through players success and failure. However, SE has added more information as each alpha/beta phase has been released.
3) what grind? not near as grindy as Aion. In late Alpha and early beta phases there was more of a grind to it and it took longer to level. However in phase 3 here it is much easier to level, and some in the game are calling for less exp as it seems too easy. It is a matter of opinion I suppose.
4) Graphics, sound, story, realism. A game has to captivate me and pull me in through these mediums.

Last edited:
So after playing the beta for about 8 hours...I really like it so far...but figuring some stuff out has been a pain...but much easier than FFXI was...really the only thing left I need to figure out it the Guildleves... I know where to get them and how to use them...but do I really only get 4 combat leves every 2 days...that doesn't seem right to me...I see people doing combat Guildleves for hours...yet I knocked out 4 in 20 mins...and can't seem to get anymore...am I doing something wrong...or what?

EDIT: Also now that I am out of Guildleves, I feel stuck...and am unsure how people are reaching level 10+ in just 2 hours...I know there is something I am missing...any ideas? :p

Last edited:
My understanding is that you can only posses 8 guildleves (4 combat, 4 non-combat gathering type) at a time. Once you are done a specific guildleve you can return to the city to "turn it in" and get a new one that you have not done. Once you complete a guildleve, that specific guildleve is not available to repeat for 48 hours. However there is a rotation of available guildleves it would seem, thus allowing for you to do more than just 4. The following excerpt from the present manual says -

During the Beta Test, the list of guildleves made available by the Adventurers’ Guild will change once every two hours (Earth time). Until that list is updated, players may not accept the same levequest twice, nor may they return an incomplete levequest having accepted it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you can only posses 8 guildleves (4 combat, 4 non-combat gathering type) at a time. Once you are done a specific guildleve you can return to the city to "turn it in" and get a new one that you have not done. Once you complete a guildleve, that specific guildleve is not available to repeat for 48 hours. However there is a rotation of available guildleves it would seem, thus allowing for you to do more than just 4. The following excerpt from the present manual says -

During the Beta Test, the list of guildleves made available by the Adventurers’ Guild will change once every two hours (Earth time). Until that list is updated, players may not accept the same levequest twice, nor may they return an incomplete levequest having accepted it.

Hope that helps.

So I found out I need to turn them in...however, I am unsure how to do this...and I did a little research and the guy I need to turn them in to said talk to him to turn them in...but I have went through all options he gives me and none have me turning them in... :p

Back