Best programming language to start with?

HockeyNut

What is the best programming language to learn first? I don't know anything about programming,but I really want to learn.

Most programming (CS) programs start you with Java (used to be C or Ada). It all depends on what your interest is in programming?

Do you want to learn how to make video games? C++
Build scale-able web applications? Ruby or Javascript
Write a Wordpress plugin for your church website? PHP / Javascript

There are lazy languages and strict languages. Easy languages and complex languages. It really depends on where you want to go.

Once you do dedicate time to learning a language check out : http://www.codecademy.com/

I ended up starting with a form of Basic on my graphing calculator. I moved into Fortran in college and transitioned into Java. Personally, I think you should start with an easier language first (stay away from c and it's pointers until you have the basic concepts down) and learn the programming constructs.

I would start with something like Visual Basic (.Net) as the formatting is a bit more loose and easier to decipher for a beginner (in my opinion). Once you learn the basic concepts (declaration, assignment, if then, loops, switches, etc) then you can easily transfer that to almost any language with minor changes in grammar structure. At that point I would transition to a true object-oriented language like c#. Microsoft offers free code editors for your use (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-products).

Of course, transitioning from VB will mean moving to a language that wraps with "{}" and terminates lines with ";", but that is all part of the learning process. You'll find once you understand the major concepts, transitioning between languages is simpler than it sounds. Most have structures that are largely recognizable and you would only have to look up a small portion of the formatting to come up to speed.

In my work, I generally use JavaScript (with the jQuery framework) because I do mostly client-side programming because we don't control the servers. But I have a personal project that was in C++ that I transitioned to C#. I haven't touched Fortran since my first semester in college. I've used C, Java, and Visual Basic as well.

Edit: I would recommend staying away from Scheme and Lisp until you are well grounding in programming. Their formatting turns everything on its head, in my opinion.

For example:
C# - addition
(a + b)
Lisp - Addition
(+ a b)

Last edited:
I, too, took classes in a bunch of languages back when getting my associate's in software development. I like everything that has been said so far. ^^

C++ is my personal favorite. I like the power and freedom. It's not the easiest of starting languages, though. I've used PHP pretty extensively in web-development, but since you were posting about TF2 maps before posting about programming languages, I'ma hazard a guess and say webdev ain't your goal.

I'd personally recommend starting with Java or C#. The portability of Java is nice, and if Android development interests you, it's gonna be the way to go; in fact, I need to bust out my Java references so I can start playing with Java again.

If hobbyist-level game development is of interest to you, though, C# is a good way to go since it plays nicely with XNA last I checked. C# isn't my favorite language. I don't have anything in particular against it, I just didn't like it as much as C++ or even Java. Still, may be a good route for you.

Last thing from me at the moment, another resource: http://www.christiandevs.com/ Used to spend a bit of time there, even got in on a speedgame contest or two. Lots of good people with good information.

Good luck. And may the Force be with you.

Back