August 1, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
To Keep in Shape

While physical training is of some value, godliness is valuable in every way, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

-1 Timothy 4:8-9 (NRSV)

BECAUSE my wife and I are not as physically active as we once were, we decided to enroll in an exercise program through a local clinic. At the beginning of our sessions, a physical therapist gave us a series of tests to determine the level of activity at which we should begin. I tested "average" or "above average" for my age on all of the tests except one. The cardiovascular test revealed that my body was not absorbing oxygen as it should.

The therapist explained that if I did not keep pushing myself, my body would become lazy and begin to lose its fitness. But he indicated that if I would work at it, pressing myself beyond my "comfort zone," my body would become more able to absorb the oxygen that would keep me fit.

I saw this as a parable about how easy it is for us to become too comfortable in our faith. When things are going well and we have our religious routines, we can settle into a spiritual comfort zone, unaware that our spiritual health may be slowly but surely deteriorating. But trying new spiritual activities can help our spirits remain whole and strong and keep us in touch with God's will.

David F. Knecht (North Dakota, U.S.A.)

Prayer!
Keep us fit, dear Lord, to serve you as long as we live. Amen.

Back