Atilla ... the ... Hun ... (?!?!)

Krissa Lox

I miss the days when mature adults were in charge of the government.

Social media will be the death of us all...

I wasn't aware of the context for this thread, but a quick Google search led me to an article with the explanation.

Wow.

I find myself once again grieved by the polarizing rhetoric that has become the norm in modern American culture, but I am simultaneously comforted by the knowledge that our salvation does not rest in the hands of the state--whether this government or any that has preceded it or will succeed it--but rather in Christ Himself. That confidence does not excuse the Christian from the sphere of politics, but it does ground us in a context that seeks to evoke and capitalize on outrage at nearly every turn. I pray that it will also call us back to Scripture not only as our foundation of belief but also as a standard for behavior, both online and off.

The high standard of "love your neighbor as yourself" is, of course, impossible by human means but not impossible with the empowering of the Holy Spirit. Our challenge lies in submitting our lives to God and resisting the temptations to withdraw from the culture in which we live or lash out in response to the seemingly constant stream of vitriol that comprises American political discourse. I confess that both temptations are very strong.

The "mature" days of old have been greatly exaggerated but I understand your sentiments and frustration.
True. I immediately thought of the insults George McClellan hurled at Abraham Lincoln a very long time ago. McClellan often referred to Lincoln as "the original gorilla" in letters to his wife.

Really? This is a norm rather than an exception?

That is ... all the more discouraging, especially given how many decent, honorable people are struggling just to get by and take care of their families even before this year's chaos began, to have such spoiled children sitting in positions of power to represent the country's interests instead.

Normally I don't follow the political scene that closely, as being libertarian it's usually a case of "Not my circus, Not my monkeys," and I prefer to act on personal and local levels rather outsourcing benevolence to national government, precisely to protect against situations like this.

This year I'm only involved not for the politics, but because the conspiracy cult I've mentioned elsewhere has been trying to actively recuit other autistic, disabled, and vulnerable people, and seeing signs of behavior more like a military operation than a purely political one, I felt compelled to seriously research what they were teaching in order to help protect or heal others from whatever harm they might do.

I suppose that if my own voting and actions haven't been contributing to the problem, then aside from the obligation to stay faithful in what Christ actually teaches in hopes of His name not getting tarnished by those who would misuse it, there's not much differently I can do to try for better outcomes, just keep on in faithfulness to what the Lord gives and equips me to deal with. But I am still disappointed in American society for not better than this.

Really? This is a norm rather than an exception?

That is ... all the more discouraging, especially given how many decent, honorable people are struggling just to get by and take care of their families even before this year's chaos began, to have such spoiled children sitting in positions of power to represent the country's interests instead.

Normally I don't follow the political scene that closely, as being libertarian it's usually a case of "Not my circus, Not my monkeys," and I prefer to act on personal and local levels rather outsourcing benevolence to national government, precisely to protect against situations like this.

This year I'm only involved not for the politics, but because the conspiracy cult I've mentioned elsewhere has been trying to actively recruit other autistic, disabled, and vulnerable people, and seeing signs of behavior more like a military operation than a purely political one, I felt compelled to seriously research what they were teaching in order to help protect or heal others from whatever harm they might do.

I suppose that if my own voting and actions haven't been contributing to the problem, then aside from the obligation to stay faithful in what Christ actually teaches in hopes of His name not getting tarnished by those who would misuse it, there's not much differently I can do to try for better outcomes, just keep on in faithfulness to what the Lord gives and equips me to deal with. But I am still disappointed in American society for not better than this.

I've been following "politics" a bit now. Eventually I hope to post a "talking Trump" thread before the election about all the good and all the bad points but I'd rather not get into it at the moment (because these things always end in a week long death spiral of research and posting for me so please let's not get into him atm XD). What I will say is that people often dismiss politics as politics when the vast majority of the time it's really about morality and on morality Christians should never be silent. That's actually why people get offended by politics because you are actually questioning their morality. Abortion, Israel, LGBT are all moral, Christian, issues and by large distinctly separated in Republican and Democratic sides (Corona, BLM, and economic issues have a moral side to them too). Remember folks Christianity has a set of rules and principles that pre-dates any party, Republican or Democratic. If people ever actually lived those concepts than they certainly would have manifested themselves and shaped one party more than another.

Here is the ad we are talking about if people don't want to look it up...

For my part the first thought I had about the Attila the Hun ad was "why would anyone compare themselves to a person generally held to be terrib..." and at that point I realized we wouldn't be having this conversation otherwise. No one pays attention or remembers the stoic, salute the flag, I stand for generic thing campaign ads, no one. One can question the ad's taste but it got the results it looked for, it got a rise out of the left (which is super easy), and, as it is clearly meant to be comedic, it's hard to attack someone for it without coming off as having no sense of humor. Remember this isn't an ad to convince leftists to vote for her she burned that bridge just sitting next to Trump it's for Republicans. Even if negative feedback is the result if people are willing to accept apologies for far worse things politicians do it'd be hypocritical not to accept one for a joke falling flat. Basically the ad did what it was intended to do, get attention. The saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is not always true but seems to apply here.

...yes I thought the ad was mildly amusing, perhaps dumb, but I wasn't offended. I don't vote based on feelings though, no one should. Everyone should vote on moral, Biblical, principles, and facts, not feelings, nor any loyalty to party or person, and certainly not based on amusement or lack thereof.

I do listen to Ben Shapiro. I mention him because he is a right wing libertarian and you mentioned libertarian. I'm more authoritarian than him, yes he's an orthodox Jew so we definitely differ there, no he is not perfect, but I agree with him far more often than not. IDK if he'd be your thing but whatever.

Last edited:
I've been following "politics" a bit now. Eventually I hope to post a "talking Trump" thread before the election about all the good and all the bad points but I'd rather not get into it at the moment (because these things always end in a week long death spiral of research and posting for me so please let's not get into him atm XD). What I will say is that people often dismiss politics as politics when the vast majority of the time it's really about morality and on morality Christians should never be silent. That's actually why people get offended by politics because you are actually questioning their morality. Abortion, Israel, LGBT are all moral, Christian, issues and by large distinctly separated in Republican and Democratic sides (Corona, BLM, and economic issues have a moral side to them too). Remember folks Christianity has a set of rules and principles that pre-dates any party, Republican or Democratic. If people ever actually lived those concepts than they certainly would have manifested themselves and shaped one party more than another.

Here is the ad we are talking about if people don't want to look it up...

For my part the first thought I had about the Attila the Hun ad was "why would anyone compare themselves to a person generally held to be terrib..." and at that point I realized we wouldn't be having this conversation otherwise. No one pays attention or remembers the stoic, salute the flag, I stand for generic thing campaign ads, no one. One can question the ad's taste but it got the results it looked for, it got a rise out of the left (which is super easy), and, as it is clearly meant to be comedic, it's hard to attack someone for it without coming off as having no sense of humor. Remember this isn't an ad to convince leftists to vote for her she burned that bridge just sitting next to Trump it's for Republicans. Even if negative feedback is the result if people are willing to accept apologies for far worse things politicians do it'd be hypocritical not to accept one for a joke falling flat. Basically the ad did what it was intended to do, get attention. The saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is not always true but seems to apply here.

...yes I thought the ad was mildly amusing, perhaps dumb, but I wasn't offended. I don't vote based on feelings though, no one should. Everyone should vote on moral, Biblical, principles, and facts, not feelings, nor any loyalty to party or person, and certainly not based on amusement or lack thereof.

I do listen to Ben Shapiro. I mention him because he is a right wing libertarian and you mentioned libertarian. I'm more authoritarian than him, yes he's an orthodox Jew so we definitely differ there, no he is not perfect, but I agree with him far more often than not. IDK if he'd be your thing but whatever.

I appreciate the effort you put into explanation, and it does genuinely help to understand other perspectives to give them due respect and consideration, but I'd personally disagree that actual politics has much to do with morality, aside from using it as a tool to siphon attention and resources from the masses to achieve other, more hidden, agendas.

But I can also respect your personal conviction otherwise and agree we'd be a better nation if that were the case, so we can agree to disagree on that. Democracy does, after all, give a people the power to move their country from what it is closer to what it should be, so your conviction can still make difference in achieving that future whether or not it's the case that that's where we are now.

I miss the days when mature adults were in charge of the government.

Social media will be the death of us all...

I continue to stand by this sentiment...

... however, I do find myself now having to reluctantly concede that expression of one's leadership capabilities pertaining to barbarian hordes may have more political relevance than I'd like.

Back