Ashlanders Rejoice

Patriot

I just found this:

http://morroblivion.com/

Looks like a group of fanatical individuals are converting TES III: Morrowind to the TES V: Skyrim engine. They aren't done with the project but they do have some impressive screenshots of the terrain. There is some good and bad with this. It means weapon mechanics from Skyrim will be used in the conversion, but it also means the leveling/skill mechanics will also be used. Depending on your point of view this could be good or bad.

Apparently, they already have plans to convert TES IV: Oblivion as well. But that won't be worked on till the Morrowind conversion is complete.

For myself, this may mean I will need to re-purchase Morrowind as my previous copy was thrown out in the great video game purge many years ago. I previously couldn't see going back to it with the clunky mechanics and dated graphics (despite the great storyline).

Patriot, this is an old thread now, but has pricked my ears up because I have all the Elderscroll games, plus add-ons, but not played them for years, especially Morrowind, because of the clunky graphics. I was actually thinking of getting a Steam version of Oblivion,because chatting with you and Wolfe and TMG on here is getting the juices going again, so - what is the state of play now do you think? Horrible thought - has everyone gone over to the online game and so this is now moribund?

Patriot, this is an old thread now, but has pricked my ears up because I have all the Elderscroll games, plus add-ons, but not played them for years, especially Morrowind, because of the clunky graphics. I was actually thinking of getting a Steam version of Oblivion,because chatting with you and Wolfe and TMG on here is getting the juices going again, so - what is the state of play now do you think?
They are still in Alpha (still working on it) but from the last blog post it looks like a major portion of the quests are complete. I don't personally own a copy of Morrowind (not since the 'Great Video Game Purge') so I couldn't legally test it out.

I'm actually hoping that the Beyond Skyrim project realizes its goal before the next TES game comes out.

Horrible thought - has everyone gone over to the online game and so this is now moribund?
Moribund? Never heard that term before and had to look it up. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

As near as I can tell, the modding community is still very much alive for Skyrim (and possibly Oblivion). I haven't seen anything regarding those projects to indicate they might be cancelled.

I, personally, have no intention of moving to TES online. I have numerous reservations about such an undertaking. My primary issue is that of the subscription. I don't want to pay for a game and then have to pay again (repeatedly) for the ability to play that game. Budgetary constraints aside (which do exist) I cannot deal with the subscription model. It makes me feel as if I have to play the game or my money goes to waste.

Add to that the loss of pause/save which is very important to myself since gaming tends to be more sporadic in my house. And the final nail is the complete loss of the whole point of the TES games (in my opinion). You are no longer the hero/heroine. Instead, you are one of many. The 'special' sword and armor you use happens to be used by no less than 20 people in your general vicinity (full disclosure: I have not played ESO so I cannot confirm the truth of this statement - but it was blatantly evident in every other MMO I have tried). That represents a loss of uniqueness to the character, sacrificed on the altar of the multi-player experience. And I generally do not group up in MMOs due to the absurd amount of time spent waiting around on or for group members. I don't have time for waiting around. . .

All that being said, I've heard from people who love the game. I think MMOs and their dreaded grind are just not for me.

I am with you on all that you have said about online play, and you sum up quite neatly what I feel about MMO as well. I am really looking forward to a number of single-player survival games currently in different stages of development (sans zombies), the nearest to completion, being 'The Long Dark'.
I have now installed Oblivion again, and Shivering Isles, but could not get Knight of the Nine to run on 64 bit ( no great loss). Have asked for help on Nexus about getting the OOO mod on again, forgotten how to do it now, plus archive invalidation (to be closely followed by all my favourite hidey-holes, no-gore, no main plot, and a few other must-haves)... did a bit of the preliminary 'escape through tunnel to the sewer' level before closing the game down. Nostalgia! Of course I blame you for getting me interested in it again mind! Off to bed now.

Have asked for help on Nexus about getting the OOO mod on again, forgotten how to do it now, plus archive invalidation (to be closely followed by all my favourite hidey-holes, no-gore, no main plot, and a few other must-haves)... did a bit of the preliminary 'escape through tunnel to the sewer' level before closing the game down. Nostalgia! Of course I blame you for getting me interested in it again mind! Off to bed now.
I accept the blame.

I use the Nexus Mod Manager to manage my mods. It's a simple download/install. It will detect which games you have that it works with. Then you can do one-click downloads of the mods to the manager. From there you just need to 'activate' it in the manager and everything is pretty much taken care of for you.

I recommend you get some sort of mod load order tool. I use BOSS but I've recently heard of another tool that is updated more often. Can't remember the name though, sorry.

at present I have OMM installed - but I take your point about Nexus. I used that a lot for Fallout3 mods. Tried BOSS a while back, don't think I got on with that, so ditched it. Yes, will do that - get OOO from Nexus and use NMM.....( why didn't I think of that!)

pawzisme, if the clunky graphics are a turn-off for you, you might want to look at the Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul. I can't stand to play the game without it.

As for Skywind, it's a good idea but I'm wondering how the differences between the games will pan out. How will they handle dialogue? MW had a crazy amount of chat topics (although a lot of them were generic). Will they voice act every character saying every chat option (even the standard ones like Background, Little Secret, etc.)? And will they have quest markers? I really enjoyed Morrowind in that you had to actually follow directions to get anywhere.

Oh, and don't get me started about ESO. Give me a co-op TESVI any day.

thank you Chuckle, I will look at the link, though have not installed Morrow Wind at present - maybe it works for Oblivion as well? Have just looked at the Skywind page - fascinating! I didn't know about this until it was mentioned couple of days back whoeeee! No I won't get you started on ESO - pleased really to find folk who see online games as a no-no a bit like I do. I haven't ever played coop either - but that might change....

I doubt MGSO would work for Oblivion, since a lot of it is texture changes or sound changes, which are unique to Morrowind. I've looked a little, but it seems like there's no overhaul for Oblivion.

And I'm not against online games per se, I just don't enjoy MMOs. It ruins the immersion a bit when 90% of Tamriel's population are adventurers.

Another Morrowind project to keep an eye on is OpenMW, which (as I understand it) is a remake of Morrowind on top of a powerful modified engine. I believe it's open-source too.

I was looking at the Skywind video in Steam news - mouth watering. Sad no update mods for Oblivion though, which I have played much more than MW

Back