Are You Wiser than a 5th Grader Bible Study 5-21-07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleburg

This will be a series "Are You Wiser than a 5th Grader". It has been a interesting topic at church so I thought I would share it with y'all. I'm going to try something a bit different, spritures I will type in green unless it is Jesus or God speaking then that will be in red , purple I will use for my opoinions. There are questions, which will be black, within this study for you to think about and post your reply. Please give me your opinion on my new format. Here we go.

Are You Wiser than a 5th Grader
Avoiding Extremes

Say What?
Prov 30:7-9 (New International Version)

"Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God

#1. Extreme Prosperity can tempt us to deny God
Deut 8:12-14 (New King James Version)

lest—when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them;
and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied;
when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;
How can we avoid this from happening?

• Often in life we are the spiritally vulnerable when we are the most materially successful. It is easy to gain the world and lose our souls.
#2. Extreme poverty can tempt us to dishonor God
Matt 4:2-3(New King James Version)
And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.
Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
Describe the meaning of this?

In desperate times, we either "take it to the Lord in prayer", or take matters in our own hands.

Shouldn't always take things "....to the Lord in prayer" or take them in our own hands? Why?

So What?
Eccl. 7:18b

The man who fears God will avoid all extremes
Prov. 24:13 with 25:16,27
.....eating just enough....
avoid over eating
Prov. 6:9-11; 24:33-34
sleep
being lazy
Prov. 25:17
social life
don't make your social life priority
Eccl. 7:16-18
Spiritual life
don't go to the extreme and leave family and friends out
Are there any extremes that are not describe with the bible that we shouldn't avoid? and Do my opinion fit in most cases?

Now what?
Matt 6:9-13 (New American Standard Bible)
Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen

Last edited:
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24 (NIV)

This rich man valued his wealth over his relationship with God. Does God require us to be poor?

No, of course not, but he does command us to have no other God before him.

"You shall have no other gods before me" Exodus 20:3.

Do not make money out to be your God. However, there can be rich men who always give the glory of thier riches to God. Then it glorifies God instead of competing with Him.

Sarah and Abraham took matters into their own hands when God wasn't quick enough in fulfilling his promise to give them a son. The result was a son named "Ishmael" who was in constant competition with Isaac, the son God had promised--perhaps even to this very day in that their ancestors, the Jews (descended from Isaac) and the Arabs (probably descended from Ishmael) are in such terrible conflict in the middle-east.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back