Are mesmers any good?

Raknor

just wonderin if mesmers hav any good skills, im thinking of Making a me/mo or a mo/me it really depends....

Last edited:
Yes, i have a mesmer charecter and they are good, the hex spells are very good, and the me/mo is what i have and its awsome.

Mesmers are a HUGE support class. If not THE support class. They have a nice arrnagement of anti casting spells for interuppting / disabling / and just damaing casting classes. They also have life draining spells and hexes. If built right, Mesmers can be very deadly.

This is kind of a different veiw of a Mesmer.

I use a me/mo just for healing. =) I use Healing Prayers to heal and Inspiration for stealing Energy. I use Fast Casting to improve casting times. Major problem is I've only seen weapons for Illusion and Domination. I might end up droping a little of my Inspiration and Fast Casting so that I can use a max damage Illusion weapon and maybe use an Illusion skill. =)

My mesmer is a Domination/Smite character. My philosophy for the character build is, "Cast, but it will cost you." I also carry Rebirth. With my mes i can res at double speed of other characters. I focus on anti-caster. With PvE, mostly I just use BackFire and the stupid AI kills itself easily. In PvP I expect to couple back fire with Wastrel's Worry. Back fire will cause them to not cast and if they delay in casting, the Wastrel's Worry will cause damage.

Some make mesmers energy drainers. I just can get the timing on that, but that is not to say it is not effective, I just can't get it to work. Also, I struggled alot to "understand" how to run my character and only recently do I feel I got it.

Last edited:
Tsawdak said:
My mesmer is a Domination/Smite character. My philosophy for the character build is, "Cast, but it will cost you." I also carry Rebirth. With my mes i can res at double speed of other characters. I focus on anti-caster. With PvE, mostly I just use BackFire and the stupid AI kills itself easily. In PvP I expect to couple back fire with Doubt. Back fire will cause them to not cast and if they delay in casting, the Doubt will cause damage.

Mesmers rock as anti-casters and W/Mo killers!!! Mesmers take some getting use to. I play mine totaly different then my other characters... even set up different hot keys!

i made a mes/war yesterday and she is up to lvl 7 and i am almost done in pre-Searing. The Artilleryman is gone and replaced with Mrs. Wells. Early results are very promising.

I recently started my Me/R after my lvl20 monk got, well, pulped by a mes in about 10 seconds. Its currently lvl9 and looks pretty deadly.

Its nice in missions cause u can unload a virutally unlimited number of hexes, then damage the area w/ arrow spells, only downside is the high energy costs, but you can steal that from enemies :p

Earlier today i charged in pvp and mauled the ele/monk from the beggining and crushed the poor person :p

The mesmer is, in my mind, the most underrated class in the game, in large part because others do not see them doing the same high profile jobs of hacking, healing, shooting fireballs or fire arrows, or raising hordes of undead as other classes do. But anyone who has been a warrior can tell you what a big pain Empathy is, and I have more than once had a monk healing spell blow up in my face (literally) because of Backfire. It's gotten to the point where mesmer enemies in PvE scare me more than almost any other class (save perhaps enemies with chain lightning), as much for the progressive damage and massive disruptions they can cause.

In an ideal world, I'd want a mesmer with me every time I went out on a mission.

Of course, as a monk, there is also something oddly satisfying about using Smite Hex to blast enemies around a Hexed ally...

Back