And the fate of those who never heard the Word of God?

MeridianFlight

There was a missionary who spoke at my church recently. Part of the focus of his message was reaching those who had never had a chance to hear the Word of God. The point was mentioned that if Christians didn't reach them, they were doomed to an eternity without Christ.

I found this a little troubling. How could they be condemned if they don't even know who Jesus is? They never had a chance to hear of redemption. They never had a chance to accept or reject Christ as their Savior. Is it fair for them to be sentenced to an eternity in hell without God?

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts on this were.

I agree with the Missionary and its not because my parents are missionarys too.

Some people if they dont agree with that purposly dont try to reach them...

Some people if they dont agree with that purposly dont try to reach them...

??

How can a person who never heard about jesus and never had the chance to choose go to hell.
Also I was thinking if u look think about the ratio of christians to other religions, there are more people going to hell than heaven. Christians are a very special group of people. Atleast I know I'll have company down there.

An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know." "Then why," asked the Inuit earnestly, "did you tell me?"
~Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

I liked the quote. :D

well, this is one of those hard questions to answer...I'll wait for Gen's verse first before i say much about it...

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. Romans 12:3

I think we are all born with a measure of faith. As we accept the things of God, our faith either grows or if we reject God it is squelched.

I believe God reaches each man on an individual basis. He uses what means that He will and while we have a responsibility to preach the Gospel, and I commend the missionary you heard for trying to get that point across...God does not depend only on us to woo and lead us to Him.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1:9

Thankfully so, for most of us don't fulfill the Great Commission as we should.

In addition, God has put a law in our hearts to know good from evil.

11 For there is no respect of persons with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) 16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Romans 2: 12-15 http://www.crosswalk.com

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse;
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Romans 1: 19-21

God has put the knowledge and realization of Him in our hearts. We have the ability to clearly see and understand the Godhead. (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.)

I don't pretend to understand it all, but God is a Righteous God and is not willing that any should perish. He makes the Way; He will not judge unfairly.

I can remember as a little child imaging about God, and I was not raised in a Christian home! He was speaking to me and making me aware of Him in my heart from a very early age. While that may not be true of every one, I do feel He comes to us on an individual basis and woos us to a relationship with Him in a manner in which we can relate to Him.

Here is what the Bible Answer Book by Hank Hanegraaff has to say:

What Happens To A Person Who Has Never Heard Of Jesus?

One of the most frequently asked questions on the Bible Answer Man broadcast is "What happens to those who have never heard of Jesus?" Will God condemn people to hell for not believing in someone they have never heard of?

First, people are not condemned to hell for not believing in Jesus. Rather, they are already condemned because of their sin. Thus, the real question is not how can God send someone to hell, but how can God condescend to same any one of us?

Furthermore, if ignorance were a ticket to heaven, the greatest evangelistic enterprise would not be a Billy Graham crusade but a concerted cover-up campaign. Such a campaign would focus on ending evangelism, burning Bibles, and closing churches. Soon no one will have heard of Christ and everyone will be on their way to heaven.

Finally, it should be emphasized that everyone has the light of both creation and conscience. God is not capricious! If we respond to the light we have, God will give us more light. In the words of the apostle Paul:

And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him,
though he be not far from every one of us:
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own
poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Acts 17: 26-28

*points to Marcy* what she said...

actually my take on it really is what Marcy said, bieng how the law is written on all of our hearts.(Romans 2) I hear someone saying, "Theres no law written on my heart". and thats perfectly fine because, you don't have to fool me. Its God you'll have to fool. The best of luck to you...

Master~Plan said:
*points to Marcy* what she said...

actually my take on it really is what Marcy said, bieng how the law is written on all of our hearts.(Romans 2) I hear someone saying, "Theres no law written on my heart". and thats perfectly fine because, you don't have to fool me. Its God you'll have to fool. The best of luck to you...

Or maybe you've simply fooled yourself.

"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"

Back