Am I thinking right?

cc.slim

I am at an indecision as to which of two words has the most godly power. Both are powerful in heartbeat and worthy of utterance.

Praise verses Worship.

A quick browse through the dictionary and thesaurus point to Worship by using Love as my measurement, so in impasse I ask you to help me weigh and measure the two words.

Just my personal opinion, but LOVE was the most powerful word you typed. The differentiating between praise and worship is like splitting hairs, IMO. Regardless of what you call it, the driving force behind your action should be love.

Furthermore, God calls us to worship (and praise) in Spirit and in Truth. In my humble opinion, you can't necessarily do that unless your motivator is love for God.

If your motivator is something less, such as pride, or guilt, or a host of other words, your praise and your worship will be diminished. Love for God is the true power behind praise and worship.

Not sure as to the biblical basis for this thought but i always considered praise to be general exaltation of God, usually associated with singing/dancing/doing something exuberant. I alwasy considered worship to be a lifestyle, something you can do in every task, use it as an act of worship. So in that sense, i would say worship > praise.. but surely they are both similar and splitting hairs to differentiate.. and both compeltely fundamental to faith.

In my opinion... Which by the way, did you realize opinions are like butts? Everyone has them. Anyway, In my opinion, Praise is what you do to thank God for something, even if it is simply because you woke up. Or Praising Him in the storm, when bad stuff just seems to keep happening to you. Praise seems to actually change your way of thinking to something more positive.

Whereas worship, Worship is telling God how much you adore and love Him. It is also the time when one can best hear God's still small voice as your spirit is a lot quieter and generally in worship there are fewer distractions.

Both are needed in a Christians daily life. How can we worship without Praise? How can we give Praise without Worship? Both are the same and yet so different.

I hope that made sense. It made sense in my head, but you know how that goes...

Back