XP sp3 memory reference error

zoemorn

I will of course do a fair amount of googling on this, but wondered if any of you TOJ-ers had run into this.
This is Post-Virus-Removal-Attempts and though Kapersky, ClamAV, McAffee, and Trendmicro all come up clean - there apparently are some core parts of windblows that have been hosed up. I was getting some crazy dwwin.exe (dr watson) issues where basically everytime you opened a microsoft product (windows live msgr, IE, etc) it would fail to open and you'd see dwwin.exe in task mgr instead.

so as I try to correct my windows without fully reinstalling, just wondering if anyone might have a lead or knows of a good app for actually scanning windows itself to check for corrupt dlls & core system files and replacing those files? Not sure that actually exists, I mean yea there's the windows repair tool but I'm personally not very knowledgeable in using it and it seems like you'd have to know exactly what you're trying to replace using it. I will attempt to find a usable restore point but so far that's not worked either.

happy gaming and windblows fixing.
thanks, see screen shot for the memory error thats biting me when opening IE, also bombs on some other apps as well, even the windows logon.exe app.

thanks

attempting this, but its hung up right at the end of the scan while in normal startup.
and it doesnt appear to be allowed in safemode (or at least something is making it bomb when trying the command from safemode)

soo... i guess i'll try it again from normal startup and see if it'll make it thru an entire scan.

If that process blows up, I'd strongly suggest backing up your data and reinstalling Windows.

Have you verified that your hard drive itself is good? Scandisk, SMART reports, etc?

Back