Xonotic

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Xonotic is a free (GPL), fast-paced first-person shooter that works on Windows, OS X and Linux. The project is geared towards providing addictive arena shooter gameplay which is all spawned and driven by the community itself.
Anyone else want to give Xonotic a shot? I wasn't able to raise interest in Quake Live and this seemed like an obvious choice for a solid "impromptu 15 minutes of deathmatch at random times" alternative.

Fantastic.

I'm going to let my right index finger heal up a bit first, but I'd like for more ToJ members to download, install, and try the game so we'll have several members ready to play when I'm ready to go.

EDIT: I already have the game downloaded, by the bye.

I tried it out....it is promising!

Feels like a fast-paced old school Unreal Tournament.

Played the first single-player deathmatch map. I like it. Since Quake Live uses PunkBuster and shows ads before the first round the user players and since UT4 is a long, long ways off, I'd say this is a satisfactory substitute for a new arena shooter.

I'll still be playing UT3 and Quake Live, but if interest in Xonotic picks up among ToJ members, I'll definitely be playing it, too.

All I ask is that you don't play Xonotic Monday nights if you also own UT3. Monday nights are our UT chapter's game nights. :)

Only trouble with xonotic seems to be the lack of players in servers QQ

Only trouble with xonotic seems to be the lack of players in servers QQ
Indeed. It looks as though most of the servers are based outside the US.

I'm going to create a separate thread about choosing the "best" (for ToJ members) free arena FPS game. Watch for that.

I'll check it out tonight. Sounds like it has similar movement to Quake. I never really took to any of the Quake games. Out of all the FPS i've ever played I like the movement in UT2004 the best. Probably because it is what I am most accustomed too.

I'll check it out tonight. Sounds like it has similar movement to Quake. I never really took to any of the Quake games. Out of all the FPS i've ever played I like the movement in UT2004 the best. Probably because it is what I am most accustomed too.

I don't like it.
:(

If you prefer UT-style movement to Quake-style movement, then I'd recommend checking out Warsow. Its movement is closer to UT99 or UT2004 and, like Xonotic, free and open source.

If I were to pick a second free and open source arena FPS to play, Warsow would be it (but Xonotic is most definitely still my first pick).

I'm reviving this thread because I just installed the latest version of Xonotic on my desktop PC.

Anyone else want to play Xonotic some time? I added a shortcut through Steam so it'll show on Steam Friends when I play it.

The game is still free and it's still awesome! :)

I'm reviving this thread because I just installed the latest version of Xonotic on my desktop PC.

Anyone else want to play Xonotic some time? I added a shortcut through Steam so it'll show on Steam Friends when I play it.

The game is still free and it's still awesome! :)

I cant get the video to work properly on my media center comp :(. Id be willing to give it another chance if it was playable...

**Edit** It runs good on my wife's laptop :) Let's play!

Last edited:
I just youtubed the game. I don't understand how some of you are saying this looks similar to ut. It looks nothing like ut to me and looks like a quake 3 based game. I played a game against Tek7 in quake 3 and I'm much more of a UT kind of guy when it comes to arena shooters, but let me know if this game picks up popularity with ToJ, and I'll consider trying it!

I plan on playing Xonotic more often after I move my desktop PC from the living room to my bedroom (if and when I get a desk where I can set it up). I'll go ahead and update it up on my laptop (which is still set up at a desk in my office at home) to play it some time.

Back