WTB A Raid Calendar...PST!!

nattyg

/cast Wall o' Text(Rank 999)

Hopefully I'm not the only one that can't really make heads or tails of attempting to schedule with posts, but I don't think it's the most effective way of organizing events. Maybe in the past when there were smaller (and fewer) teams, more consistent schedules and so on, but it's becoming pretty cumbersome to me to figure out what's what. I mean, I'm technically signed up for a Raid on Monday (which is actually a different day or date...can't remember) and now belong to a new raid team according to the post - definitely news to this gnome! :)

I would like to propose / suggest we give Group Calendar a *concerted* effort this time - meaning everyone read the installation and configuration instructions we've provided and give it a test to scheduling raid events. Since some people have had issues in the past, for whatever reason, we can keep the posts going for a period of time until it's considered "stable" and we can cut off using the forums to schedule after that point. After that period - it would be a required raid add-on for all raiding members.

Not only has this been pretty frustrating to use (as you may be able to tell when I posted to like 2 events and didn't know what the heck I was posting to...and corrected them)...it's pretty much impossible to keep up with and update on the site. If we use something like guild calendar, I can update the site every night or more frequently as necessary which will keep everything nice and in order.

So to summarize, some of the benefits of GCal are:

• In-game tool...no need to visit forums
  • Can be synchronized easily with website
  • Events can be edited easily...so no opening a thread to find out it's a different day or date than expected. In other words, it's more forgiving than having type-os in a thread name
  • No need to determine *if* you need to post in a thread or not to say if you're going to go, particularly when it's not stated int he post...just click yes or no
  • We *can* set it up to have the website send you email notifications when it detects that you've been added to an event...so you don't necessarily need to be in-game to get that info.
  • Nevi won't go even balder scratching his head figuring out where he needs to be and when

If you haven't seen/used Group Calendar before, you can check it out at:

http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/1958/

Good luck, how many times have we tried, some people wont install the addon anyway for one reason or another. Maybe just go back to using some sort of web sign up like MC was? Its still having to go online and visit a webpage but some people just find that less inconvienent than setting up addons. I still have group calendar installed but its basically useless right now:p

Agreed...some people won't install it, which is why there needs to be some push behind it rather than being more of a suggestion by someone who wants to schedule some 5mans with the goal of designating it as a required raiding add-on. People are certainly welcome to use it to schedule 5mans, birthdays, whatever else - but if you expect to be in the raid, you need to have it installed.

Regarding the old raid sign-up (eqdkp I think?) ...that could be an option as well - need to do a bit of research to look into that. A little out of band with the game which I'm not a fan of, but with a little more work, that can be worked into the site as well and is more organized than posting events in threads.

It never seemed to work right when changing or cancelling raids so unless they fixed it up alot...there could be 10 different teams actually posted to go. Just something to keep in mind to test out...because it will lead to someone being disappointed.

There is also an issue with when new updates coming out that the addon is not updated all the time in a timely manner to continue working, even if enabling out of date addons.

It never seemed to work right when changing or cancelling raids so unless they fixed it up alot...there could be 10 different teams actually posted to go. Just something to keep in mind to test out...because it will lead to someone being disappointed.

That's a possibility...but not testing it in a structured fashion (everyone using the same configuration and *verifying* it...and having some troubleshooting support, i.e. me) won't tell us anything :) I honestly can't recall having any problems with it in...I won't even say how long or how many guilds ago (the latter no being all that bad actually!).

I mean...we have a fancy site that you can upload pictures to...I could always make a "Guild Calendar Errors" folder :D

Oh yeah...another bonus...you can schedule your trip to the dentist...from the release notes:

"- Doctor, Dentist, Vacation and Other are now in their own Personal sub-menus"

I did like the group calendar but there really wasn't a big push behind it. and therefore it seemed kinda pointless. But if it was listed maybe as a "required raid mod" or something, it was be installed and used by more than a few people.

Whatever we decide, I would enjoy a more organized way to sign up for raids and know what dates we're going where. Even the old php site.

The old site still works, just has a level cap at the moment of 60. There were some updates to the software that could be applied along with someone taking the time to enter in the new dungeons and it will fill its purpose.

In the past I never liked it... but I'll look at it, If I think it's good, I have no problem making it a Req for my team.

It would be nice to use, but I also share the same thoughts as some of the others about people not wanting to download it.

Also, I don't know how good it would be to become completely dependent on an add on that some random person maintains. Sure they've kept it going for this long, but you never know when he could just stop and leave guilds hanging out to dry.

Not to mention the fact that people probably wouldn't be as willing to come read the forums.. and that makes me feel lonely :(

It took about 30 minutes but I got the phpRaid site updated to the latest version which supports TBC character levels and the addition of shamans to the alliance. I even went ahead and created a quick raid.

http://www.toj.cc/wow/information/instances/index.php

phpRaid worked great for us in MC/BWL why not use it now for Kara/Gruul? It allows raid leaders to create raids and manage those attending. For raiders, it is a lot clearer which dates and once you register, the signup process for a raid is pretty simple. Just click on the attend raid button, select you character from your profile and provide any additional detail to the raid leader.

Advantages are no mod to install and maintain. Driven by a browser so you do not need to be in game to sign up or cancel. Raid leaders and raid members have clear visibility on available raiders, raids and times. Win win for everyone in my book.

Raid leaders, sign up on the site and shoot me a message in the forum with the username you used so I can bump up your access. Everyone else, create an account and add your characters to your profile. Send me a message if you have any problems.

I put an announcement on the main page in phpRaid but I forgot to mention it here. I went ahead and cleared out all the original data from the old version. So if you had a login you will have to recreate it. I thought it was best to start fresh since we used the site for our multi guild MC/Ony/BWL raids back in the day and there was a lot of out of date info.

I think something that we keep in mind is that we need to choose a solution that will fit the guild. But remember the fact that one has yet to be chosen. I also do not believe that we should jump feet first into either, we need to see what one will be best... or if there is a third solution.
One thing that would be nice is if Nevi can work a Calander into the new site that raid leaders can add to and members can sign up. There seems to be more and more action over there. I really don't want to (But will) have to go to 3 differant sites for Redeemed info.
And on the addon... I don't think you can have an addon and completly rely on that.. I believe you need a back up solution and one that keeps our members going to the forums. I think all members need to read the forums... you don't have to post but it is good to keep up to date atleast once a week.

I personally liked the PhP site.

However, I know it had its limitations.

The best thing we can do currently is keep each other informed. Checked the forums for teams going and if you are not able please let everyone know.

Raid leaders are doing everything they can to post raids ahead of time.

Remember, we are all in this together.

Ok, not raiding yet, but still gonna share my thoughts. (small Wall o text Rank 666)

From what I've seen since joining Redeemed a few months ago this website is only recently starting to have enough key content to begin to bring people to it regularly. Also, You generally can't rely on in-game for communication because people are not on at the same times, so just telling people whaz up is risky. The website should be a key means of sharing useful communication and bringing the guild together, and is probably the only way of effectively doing so. So to echo what some others have implied above, do as much as possible here on the website (wherever 'here' is - with the new site ??) . A raid calendar is a perfect opportunity to bring people here for other updates as well.
Other aspects - many of us can check raid schedules/changes at work or just around town getting to a PC. But if you put it in-game, there's only one place to check it....and more often you can't get to that place if it's in-game.
Also, we have 4 PC's at my home, but only 2 can handle WoW, so might not be able to get to one to check a calendar should I want/need to. Still could check a website tho.

Thats not to say something can't be done in game as well, but people best go to a single place for calendars, and I suggest best place is Here. Now what form that is: --> old system that Plankeye updated/current/new - dunno bout that. Leave those details to you current raiders.

a/k/a Meltaway

Last edited:
I absolutely sympathize with
* Nevi's frustration (I looked at the Raid Schedule forum this morning and there were somewhere between 8 and 10 new posts that maybe I needed to review and check my name on ... that seems excessive)
* Zacch's hope (I don't care what we use, but there's gotta be something better)
* Mordos's caution (let's not move from bad to worse)
* and Icthus's pragmatism (the raid leaders are doing a great job managing a bunch of moving parts on the whole ... we all get a ton of flexibilty our of our current raid system so we should all make sure we're being flexible and accomodating to other, too).

I personally would love to move towards something more sophisticated than the forum-post method ... but in the near term, can we adopt a few simple conventions on the forum-post method to make things a little clearer:
1) Put DATES in the forum titles ... "Team 5 Friday 6/22 Kara Signups" rather than "Friday team 5 Kara" or "team 2 next Monday"
2) Put a clear start time (e.g., invites at 6, first pull at 6:30) in the schedule message
3) The "proposed team with confirmations in bold" convention is fantastic, I think. I'd like to see all schedule posts use it.
4) I seem to recall that back in the MC/BWL days, that we used PhP as a baseline tool but people who couldn't access it also signed up by either sending PMs, in-game mail or whispers, or making forum posts to Goblit. The important thing is that communication between the raid admins and the team members ... not necessarily between all team members. MASSIVE PROPS to Sandric for getting PhP back up ... I'd propose we start using it and that the Raid Team admin leads get trained on it... but that for now it's a supplement as opposed to a replacement for anything.

Back