Why you havent seen me as often

redflameent

Well I still have my PS3 but sadly it is jailbroken. So that means I have no PSN access. I feel cut off from people so I may buy anothe PS3 just to have PSN access.

That makes sense. I thought I saw you on PSN just the other day, though? Weird.

We'll still be here if you get back on PSN. ;)

Just out of curiosity, is there much advantage to have a jailbroken ps3? On the PSP/Wii I can see that, but it just seems like there isn't much outside of running Linux (slowly) to be had. Am I wrong?

Based on what little I've read, PS3 homebrew isn't progressing at anywhere near the rate of Wii homebrew. There are some very polished Wii homebrew applications developed; I haven't read about anything comparable on the PS3.

I think the main difference is that there's no significant downside to installing homebrew on the Wii. In fact, it has major advantages, such as enabling owners to dump their games from disc to an external hard drive then load games from the drive. (That's how I play all games on my Wii now.)

I haven't installed the jailbreak on my PS3 and I probably won't since I'm not willing to lose PSN access or have to buy a second PS3.

And while I'm a vocal advocate of homebrew on the Wii, I see the main purpose of the PS3 jailbreak being piracy. I could be mistaken, though.

redflameent: There's probably a way to revert back to official firmware if you dig a little.

Yeah, but I wasn't even aware there was any good piracy going on, whereas on the PSP it's rampant, lol.

Yeah, but I wasn't even aware there was any good piracy going on, whereas on the PSP it's rampant, lol.
There's most definitely piracy on the PS3 now, though, as I understand it, it's MUCH more cumbersome on the PS3 than the PSP (which itself is much more cumbersome than piracy on the Wii and DS) and involves much greater risk.

PS3 games are also much larger and thus take longer to download. If pirates are using BitTorrent to snag the games (and they probably are), there's the issue of upload bandwidth and risk of law enforcement getting involved as well.

In short: With all the hassles involved, with homebrew progressing so slowly, with games dropping to $40 or $30 a month after release and to $15 down the road, and with Sony, unlike Nintendo, fighting the pirates tooth and nail, it just doesn't make sense to use the jailbreak for piracy.

People need to stop being broke and buy PS3 games. No, we can't all buy them at $60 (even I am regretting getting three recent titles, especially with the price drop after two weeks), but there are plenty of deals out there. Now developers have been moving into the DLC realm, not just for add-ons, but for full games, possibly because of piracy.

/use to pirate all things but is now pro-notbeingcheap

My PS3 runs games off of Harddrive. So the problem is that I prefer it because of faster load speeds than the load speeds of a disc. The problem is pirates who have made what they think is their right to do what they want. Now for me, I legitimately bought the ganes I have on the harddrieve, so I think it is my right to have them backed up. If I bought thenm, then it isn't piracy.

Sorry ifg this sounded wrong.

My PS3 runs games off of Harddrive. So the problem is that I prefer it because of faster load speeds than the load speeds of a disc. The problem is pirates who have made what they think is their right to do what they want.
I can understand the benefit. I played an undub (where a group stripped out the English dub and injected the original Japanese audio) PS2 RPG off a hard drive and load times were greatly reduced. If there weren't so many risks involved with the jailbreak and if I upgraded the hard drive to something larger (say, 500GB or 1TB), I'd seriously consider installing the jailbreak and running games from the hard drive.

So far, load times haven't been an issue for me, but I haven't played that many PS3 games, either.

Now for me, I legitimately bought the ganes I have on the harddrieve, so I think it is my right to have them backed up. If I bought thenm, then it isn't piracy.

Sorry ifg this sounded wrong.
Not at all. As I've stated elsewhere, I dumped my Wii game discs to an external drive and have been using a USB loader to play them for several months now. When the DVD drive (which I estimate to be the component with the shortest anticipated lifespan) in my Wii dies, I'll still be able to play the games I own without having the console repaired or buying a replacement.

Back