Why Macs are better than PC's

SirThom said:
Windows users: please watch this video and make your own conclusions. =D

I'd dance around like an idiot too if I got paid what he did...

I was listening to the tv this morning and heard the commercial where two guys are standing there saying that one is a pc and the other is a mac. The mac says that he's into fun things like movies and music, the pc says he does things like pie charts and spreadsheets.

If someone that didn't know anything about computers saw that would they draw the conclusion that you can't watch movies or listen to music on a pc? I just think it was an attempt to smear pcs in the way that many of us talk negatively about macs... although what we say about macs is true... lol

I know personally that macs have their usage. Powerful photo and video editing, animation, graphic design, etc. But, when I go to microcenter or other computer stores and see ten aisles of windows software and only one for mac, I know that that I'll be able to find what I need. And I know that the market is larger for the windows os but it is the way it is.

The fact is that apple computers can edit videos and music out of the box (no windows audio recorder and movie maker are pieces of trash). Windows out of the box is...well useless. you have to install a ton of stuff just to get some functionality out of it. and *gasp* the drivers!!! apple machines work as soon as you install the os, no drivers to hunt for in osx(same with gentoo :p)

I hate windows, on my current box it takes 2 or 3 boots just to properly work because of all the dang drivers.

When it comes to operating systems, unix is superior, but more people use windoz.

SirThom said:
clock causes many problems with internal synchronization in many problems, the auto update causes mediashout at my church to fire off everything that is on a timer or scheduled.

vibrokatana said:
The fact is that apple computers can edit videos and music out of the box (no windows audio recorder and movie maker are pieces of trash). Windows out of the box is...well useless. you have to install a ton of stuff just to get some functionality out of it. and *gasp* the drivers!!! apple machines work as soon as you install the os, no drivers to hunt for in osx(same with gentoo :p)

I hate windows, on my current box it takes 2 or 3 boots just to properly work because of all the dang drivers.

When it comes to operating systems, unix is superior, but more people use windoz.

Mine takes less then a minute...

[toj.cc]phantom said:
Mine takes less then a minute...
yes mine boots in about 20 seconds when it actually decides to do, dont reply to other peoples articles when you blatently havent read the entire thing:

A) its disrespectful
B) i hate when people do it to me
C) you will know their issue
D) I will argue with a wall

But still noone can beat my gentoo linux boot time of about 15 seconds. and thats because I spent about 2 days going through my init scripts and optimizing them for boot speed.

vibrokatana said:
yes mine boots in about 20 seconds when it actually decides to do, dont reply to other peoples articles when you blatently havent read the entire thing:

A) its disrespectful
B) i hate when people do it to me
C) you will know their issue
D) I will argue with a wall

But still noone can beat my gentoo linux boot time of about 15 seconds. and thats because I spent about 2 days going through my init scripts and optimizing them for boot speed.

Sorry, I thought you said 2 to 3 minutes...I misread! :p

Yeah, that's been something I've enjoyed a lot -- just plugging in a device, and not having to hunt around for drivers.

SirThom said:
Yeah, that's been something I've enjoyed a lot -- just plugging in a device, and not having to hunt around for drivers.

I haven't ever had to hunt around...every time something tat I plug in needs drivers, it installs them itself.

[toj.cc]phantom said:
I haven't ever had to hunt around...every time something tat I plug in needs drivers, it installs them itself.
hehe you havent tried installing a wireless card in windows x64? or maybe a tv tuner? Raid drivers anyone?

[toj.cc]phantom said:
Sorry, I thought you said 2 to 3 minutes...I misread! :p
You can make windows take 30 minutes to boot, place 2 ide drives with slaves and no masters, it gets confused very badly. Meanwhile unix continues on as if there is nothing happening.

ChickenSoup said:
It seems that you just have all the bad experiences. Everyone I know is just peachy.
I tend to remember the 100+ hours i spent debugging windows machines. My apple machines havent even stacked over a hour :p

My pet peve is the whole Mac, Windows, Linux argument. Personally, I'm comfortable on both Mac and Windows. I've played around with Linux some, but my jobs and classes have mostly dealt with Windows or Mac OS. I did have one teacher that did require that we built our programs in Unix, but that was one teacher for one class.

At home, I have one computer with Windows XP, a Mac Mini running OSX, and one with Linux install (which hasn't been even plugged in for a few months). I pretty much just use my Windows box and my Mac Mini for the same purposes. Surfing the net, checking email, ripping movies to my PSP, and playing World of Warcraft. Honestly, they both seem to do everything equally well. WOW does run a little better on my Windows box, but that's pretty much just due to the fact that I currently have a lot more RAM on my Windows system.

I think the main reason I wanted the mac is because the software that is included with the Mac OS blows the Windows default software away!

Enough rambling...back to my pet peeve mentioned....

Basically I just hate it when someone says that one OS is better than another. They are basically just different ways of accomplishing some of the same things.

I do still like the old joke...

Mac - for users who do not care why there computer is working
Linux - for users who want to know why there computer is working
Windows - for users who do not care why there computer does not work

vibrokatana said:
I tend to remember the 100+ hours i spent debugging windows machines. My apple machines havent even stacked over a hour :p

Funny, I've NEVER had that problem. Maybe you're a jynx... j/k of course. Everyone has their preferences.

Tolk hit it on the head I think, different OS for different functions. And I think the problems that vibro has had is exactly what turns people off from windows.

I remember when I had WinME installed, that lasted about 3 minutes before I went back to 98se. Within the first few minutes of running the fresh install of ME I was getting blue screens, so I know first hand of the aggravation. Since I've used 2K and XP I haven't had any of problems, although there is a fair amount of configuration before everything runs smooth.

hescominsoon said:
So many folks hated ME..for me i loved it...it worked much better than any previous version of 9.x.

That was the weird part of it... a friend built an almost identical machine as mine, aside from the video card and memory I think. His loved ME, mine didn't. My notebook was the same way. I actually took back one of the first notebooks I bought because of problems, but once I loaded 98se on the one I kept, it ran perfect, and it still does 5 years later. Spooky!

The thing with ME is what software you run on it, M$ tried to modify too much stuff so old software(and not surprisingly new) caused it to upchuck and die.

For long term stability you have to go unix based or its gonna blow up atleast once a month.

Back