What's your opinion on Psychic stuff?

Goose62 said:
Why did you ask the question in the first place if you could cite relevant scripture.

You know what arkanjel was trying to say by his link, don't try to get under people's skin just for the sake of arguement.

You misunderstood the intention of my post.

Just because one quotes verses from the Bible doesn't make the argument right or condoned by God.

How is that getting under someone's skin?

Believe me, if I wanted to openly antagonize everyone here, I could, but that's not my intention.

The question still stands though, "Where do you draw the line between psychics and prophets?"

Just because one quotes verses from the Bible doesn't make the argument right or condoned by God.
Depends on what the argument is about. If they are taking scripture to back up what they are talking about, then yes, I believe that is right and condoned by God (since the Word IS God). On the contrary, if they are twisting scripture verses and taking things out of context to "back up" what they are talking about, then I believe that is wrong and not condoned by God.

The question still stands though, "Where do you draw the line between psychics and prophets?"
I doubt a psychic (not of God) would be calling the name of Jesus or God and it be a trick from satan (I hate using the word "gift" regarding satan - he gives no gift, he is the father of all lies).

Well at my church the pastor had something to say here that may be helpful. In II Chronicles where its talking about how christians make up tha body of christ it lists prophets as one of many titles for christians (this is not to mean a old guy with a beard who says all these things that come true), its more to do with evangalists really. As for Knowledge being a gift from satan. I think that true knowledge comes from God. Other lies such as evolution, or even the belief that your smart enough to second geuss God(the book of Job illistrates this), I believe come from the devil. But even sin con sometimes work into God's master plan. (look up the geneology of Jesus in Matheww) When King David had Uriah killed so he could mary his wife, one of their descendants was Joseph! So you all see, its all part of a bigger picture!

To be clear, let's make sure that people don't find an excuse to sin by claiming it is all a part of God's plan. :)

I'm not saying that is what you are implying, I just wanted to mention that for clarity.

Evolution is NOT a lie, it is a theory. If you disprove it - Poof! - it goes away! All you have to do is submit a better theory that fits observable phenomena.

And believe me, if you crack a history book you'll see the devil doesn't have a monopoly on lying...

Goose62 said:
Depends on what the argument is about. If they are taking scripture to back up what they are talking about, then yes, I believe that is right and condoned by God (since the Word IS God). On the contrary, if they are twisting scripture verses and taking things out of context to "back up" what they are talking about, then I believe that is wrong and not condoned by God.

You make it sound so black and white, but we both know it's not that simple.

Who are you to say what it condoned by God? I'm not picking on you, I'm just saying that by you saying that, you leave a LOT open to interpretation.

I doubt a psychic (not of God) would be calling the name of Jesus or God and it be a trick from satan (I hate using the word "gift" regarding satan - he gives no gift, he is the father of all lies).

So how do you tell the difference?

DarthDapor said:
Well at my church the pastor had something to say here that may be helpful. In II Chronicles where its talking about how christians make up tha body of christ it lists prophets as one of many titles for christians (this is not to mean a old guy with a beard who says all these things that come true), its more to do with evangalists really. As for Knowledge being a gift from satan. I think that true knowledge comes from God. Other lies such as evolution, or even the belief that your smart enough to second geuss God(the book of Job illistrates this), I believe come from the devil. But even sin con sometimes work into God's master plan. (look up the geneology of Jesus in Matheww) When King David had Uriah killed so he could mary his wife, one of their descendants was Joseph! So you all see, its all part of a bigger picture!

Oh boy

Just because you say true knowledge comes from God doesn't do anything to explain why or how. Please do so.

Evolution is not a lie. Please explain why you believe it is a lie and who is perpetrating this lie. It may also help if you distinguish between micro and macro evolution, since they are not synonymous.

I wouldn't be touting the genology of Christ as a good example. There are MANY problems with it. (This is a whole topic in itself, if you honestly have no clue what I'm talking about, a quick google search should clear it up)

James said:
To be clear, let's make sure that people don't find an excuse to sin by claiming it is all a part of God's plan. :)

I'm not saying that is what you are implying, I just wanted to mention that for clarity.

Why would it NOT be part of God's plan since God was the one that A) created sin and B) intended for his creation to dwell in sin C) created this whole plan?

You make it sound so black and white, but we both know it's not that simple.

Who are you to say what it condoned by God? I'm not picking on you, I'm just saying that by you saying that, you leave a LOT open to interpretation.

I guess it depends on who the person is doing the "interpretation". If you know the Bible well enough and if a so-called "prophet" is saying things that aren't lined up with the Word of God, then I wouldn't listen to him/her anymore. But you're right, one person might interpret something completely different than I would. But if it all points back to the Word of God and how well you know it (but even THAT can sometimes have different interpretations, hence why we have so many "religions" inside of Christianity ... that's another topic for another time).

So how do you tell the difference?

Prophets come in the name of the Lord God and what they say is backed by scripture.

Goose62 said:
I guess it depends on who the person is doing the "interpretation".

The problem is that EVERY Christian must interpret the Bible and no two interpret it the same way. That's why you have so many denominations.

If you know the Bible well enough and if a so-called "prophet" is saying things that aren't lined up with the Word of God, then I wouldn't listen to him/her anymore.

I think that's another common problem with Christians...they simply do't know their Bible well enough. So if they don't know the Bible well enough, what is to stop them from believing in this "prophet"? God? Sorry, but even God says he will let his followers become deluded by false prophets. So how do you KNOW?

But you're right, one person might interpret something completely different than I would. But if it all points back to the Word of God and how well you know it (but even THAT can sometimes have different interpretations, hence why we have so many "religions" inside of Christianity ... that's another topic for another time).

So who is right and who is wrong? Not everyone can be right. But can everyone be wrong?

You may pray and study the Bible and come to a completely different conclusion than another person. Why is that? Isn't God supposed to be guiding your knowledge? Isn't that WHY you pray while you study, for understanding? How can you get it wrong if God is helping you learn and study? Shouldn't Christians be aligned then? All of one heart and one accord?

Prophets come in the name of the Lord God and what they say is backed by scripture.

AH! Then Benny Hinn IS a prophet! I have to remember to send him a check.

Ok listen up, first off! Elvolution is such a lie I con't even call it a theory. Second when I said true knowledge comes from God, I mean that humanity can not think without the will of a far greater being. This meaning that unless God wishes us to be intelligent we won't be. I was just answering some ones question by saying that. Third, I said in plain english that its all part of a bigger picture no one con see (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
DarthDapor said:
Ok listen up, first off! Elvolution is such a lie I con't even call it a theory.

Yet you have failed, consistently, to prove why.

Oh yeah, that's right, I'm just supposed to take your word for it, right?

Second when I said true knowledge comes from God, I mean that humanity can not think without the will of a far greater being. This meaning that unless God wishes us to be intelligent we won't be. I was just answering some ones question by saying that.

Humanity can not think without the will of a far greater being. I'd love to hear you back this one up.

Third, I said in plain english that its all part of a bigger picture no one con see (yet).

If it's all part of a bigger picture that no one can see yet, including YOU, then pray tell, how do you know?

Evolution has no base, Matter con't create itself. If you con't understand what I'm saying, thats your problem.
Dark Virtue said:
If it's all part of a bigger picture that no one can see yet, including YOU, then pray tell, how do you know?
I didn't say I "knew" I said I believe in a bigger picture.

DarthDapor said:
Evolution has no base, Matter con't create itself. If you con't understand what I'm saying, thats your problem.

In other words, you can't back up your statement that evolution has no base, right?

That IS a problem, but it's not mine.

I didn't say I "knew" I said I believe in a bigger picture.

LOL!

Thank you. You have proven me right on so many levels with that statement.

As I have said, you can believe in whatever you want to, that doesn't make it right or real.

To be completely honest, you did NOT say that you "believe". You said, and I quote, "I think that true knowledge comes from God." You didn't say true BELIEF comes from God.

Check and mate.

Beliefs are dangerous things, slippery as eels and as immutable as stone. In this argument yours have turned in upon your bosom as a dog upon its master.

Evolution is CLEARLY a theory. Whether you like it or not, greater minds than yours have spoken on this issue. You can choose to disbelieve the theory or not - that's your perogative and part and parcel of free will - but your disbelief doesn't make it more or less a Scientific Theory.

Whilst we're on the subject, wasn't the whole ineffability of the Divine Plan that we WERE supposed to be able to think without a higher power prompting us? That whole Free Will thing?

Thirdly, Stavka (Russian Army Staff College) teaches that the Bigger Picture is often an illusion. We can debate what can be held, smelt and felt. We cannot debate what you believe you know, based on a gut feeling.

Dark Virtue said:
As I have said, you can believe in whatever you want to, that doesn't make it right or real.
That doesn't make it wrong.

Dark Virtue said:
To be completely honest, you did NOT say that you "believe". You said, and I quote, "I think that true knowledge comes from God." You didn't say true BELIEF comes from God.
I was talking about a bigger picture not knowledge.

ChickenSoup said:
That's ok, we have more arguments waiting for you. *summons debaters from all over CGA* CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!

I'm waiting :)

Be thankful I haven't posted a link to this website at infidels.org. Then you'd REALLY have your hands full.

Back