What is a True Christian

The problem is that YOUR definition isn't going to match someone else's definition of what Christianity is. The more specific you are trying to be, the more you will disagree with other Christians.

Hence my post. But, should not the definition of Christianity take into account the basic tennets of Christianity?

Therefore your never going to prove him without killing him.

Twas already done

Gen

Genesis1315 said:
Hence my post. But, should not the definition of Christianity take into account the basic tennets of Christianity?

Should it?

Not according to the dictionary which simply states, "one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ".

It doesn't specifify which teachings or all teachings, nor does it need to.

From there you can begin to be more specific, breaking it down into separate catagories.

Consider our definitions of bird and duck. Bird is, again, defined as, "any of a class (Aves) of warm-blooded vertebrates distinguished by having the body more or less completely covered with feathers and the forelimbs modified as wings". Notice there is no mention of webbed feet. Not all birds have webbed feet, hence the more specific definition of duck. Conversely, not all ducks are identical, think of the different types of Catholicism.

Our definition of Christianity would be what most would define it as. You have to understand that although there are many different types of Christianity that have minor differences there are also the same number that have Major differences (outside the pale of orthodoxy).
We as Christians understand (between those of us whom have minor differences) that what we have differences on we can have in house debates over but not seperate over.

The name christain is a label given to us by the Muslim/Islamic faith so as I see it not to offend anyone Yet hold my head up proudly is to say that I am a follower of Jesus the Christ my Savior!

kevman4christ said:
Our definition of Christianity would be what most would define it as. You have to understand that although there are many different types of Christianity that have minor differences there are also the same number that have Major differences (outside the pale of orthodoxy).
We as Christians understand (between those of us whom have minor differences) that what we have differences on we can have in house debates over but not seperate over.

Who do you include when you say "our"?

What groups don't fit into your definition of "we as Christians"?

Where do you draw the line between denominations/sects/cults?

cc.slim said:
The name christain is a label given to us by the Muslim/Islamic faith so as I see it not to offend anyone Yet hold my head up proudly is to say that I am a follower of Jesus the Christ my Savior!

And how would you feel if a fellow Christian said you weren't REALLY a Christian? Or that you weren't a "true" Christian?

You say that you hold your head up proudly to say you are a follower of Christ, but what about Mormons that say they are proud to a Christian, yet don't have the respect of their fellow Christians?

DV,

You bring up interesting points. The interesting thing is, even I were to take the time to give you our point of view you still wouldn't be happy with it.

Are you supposed to be happy with our explanation.. No most likely not.

One thing I will say is that I admire your tenacity.

Kev, once again, you have avoided pointed questions:

Who do you include when you say "our"?

What groups don't fit into your definition of "we as Christians"?

Where do you draw the line between denominations/sects/cults?

Are you refusing to answer these questions because you feel I won't be happy with the answers?

It shouldn't matter if I like the answers or not, should it?

At least then I'd have a bit more understanding with some sort of explanation that is INTEGRAL to this topic.

EDITED TO ADD:

I think this is an important topic to discuss because it has major ramifications. Christians have been eager to claim that Christianity is the largest religion in the world with roughly 2.1 billion followers. Funny how inclusive THIS number is but how exclusive your definitions are. Once you remove these nonChristian Christians, how low will that number drop? This is just one of many reasons I ask who should be included as a Christian and who you include when you say words like "our" and "we".

Last edited:
Ok look at it this way and take it as you wish there were 12 disciples that came from various walks of life hence quack meow ruff cluck ect... Yet each and everyone of them was taught the same things that we are learning today. Of course as brothers and sisters we will interpret some things differently but the one Standing thing not a One of us can change is the Only way to heaven/ eternal life is through Jesus Christ.Now as this point is true, for one to say you are not a christain is/will be accountable for those words. A Christain is not to judge others and are under the commandments to Love then of course Love some more. Of course there are false teachings that we are to be aware of and to realize that they are false is to gain wisdom through his word and decide for yourself but also note that when you do and dedicate yourself to that teaching it is still wrong to slander or gossip of/on other teachings. Hence we as christains are to teach the words/teachings of Christ and spread his word and not to deviate or change such teachings. Plz remember John 3.16 and fear not!

Sorry slim, but that makes NO sense.

You said, "Hence we as christains are to teach the words/teachings of Christ and spread his word and not to deviate or change such teachings." Unfortunately, Christians don't teach all the same things. Some believe in the trinity, some done. Some believe in salvation through faith, some through works. If they're not all correct, then some of them have to be false/incorrect/untrue teachings.

How do you discern who is correct and who isn't?

I'll ask you straight up, you say that you are a Christian, what KIND of Christian are you? Catholic? Protestant? Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks!

DV,
I will give this to you one more time. What is said below is ESSENTIAL to being a Christian.
When we talk about the essentials of Christianity we're referring to the basic elements that make up and characterize our faith, and which, of course, separate it from other beliefs. Let's survey these doctrines.
First, we believe in the authority of Scripture, which is another way of saying that the Bible is God's inspired, infallible, and inerrant Word. It's the ultimate source for knowledge about God, as well as the definitive guide for our daily lives.
Next we affirm the existence of a triune God or one God in three distinct persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This God is self-existent, eternal, unchanging, omnipotent, omnipresent, holy, righteous, and loving. God created the universe from nothing and He rules over His creation sovereignly including both human and angelic beings.
We also hold that man is a physical and spiritual being who is created in God's image. But because of his sin or transgression, man has lost his fellowship with God. The extent of sin is so great that its effects continue to this very day in the form of cruelty, suffering, and death.
By God's grace, Jesus Christ - Who is fully God and fully man - was sent to save us from our bondage to sin. We believe that Christ was born of a virgin, died for our sins, physically rose from the dead, and will one day return to judge the world and deliver His people. Faith in Christ is the only means by which mankind can escape eternal damnation and judgment.
Finally, we recognize the church as God's ordained institution headed by Christ. The church is composed of all believers, and is organized for worship, for fellowship, for the administration of the sacraments, for spiritual growth and support, and for evangelizing the world.

Matt 6:33...You know I used to be afraid of this very issue of choosing the wrong religion for I so desired to be on the right side of a argument and then one day my mind set absolutely changed.It was Luke 17:33 that changed me forever.Relax n read the new testiment and you will find the correct religion and remember Jesus is the answer.John 3:16

Hehehe A member of Tyro Christain Church hehehe Guess I am Christain hehehe :)

kevman4christ said:
DV,
I will give this to you one more time. What is said below is ESSENTIAL to being a Christian.
When we talk about the essentials of Christianity we're referring to the basic elements that make up and characterize our faith, and which, of course, separate it from other beliefs. Let's survey these doctrines.
First, we believe in the authority of Scripture, which is another way of saying that the Bible is God's inspired, infallible, and inerrant Word. It's the ultimate source for knowledge about God, as well as the definitive guide for our daily lives.
Next we affirm the existence of a triune God or one God in three distinct persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This God is self-existent, eternal, unchanging, omnipotent, omnipresent, holy, righteous, and loving. God created the universe from nothing and He rules over His creation sovereignly including both human and angelic beings.
We also hold that man is a physical and spiritual being who is created in God's image. But because of his sin or transgression, man has lost his fellowship with God. The extent of sin is so great that its effects continue to this very day in the form of cruelty, suffering, and death.
By God's grace, Jesus Christ - Who is fully God and fully man - was sent to save us from our bondage to sin. We believe that Christ was born of a virgin, died for our sins, physically rose from the dead, and will one day return to judge the world and deliver His people. Faith in Christ is the only means by which mankind can escape eternal damnation and judgment.
Finally, we recognize the church as God's ordained institution headed by Christ. The church is composed of all believers, and is organized for worship, for fellowship, for the administration of the sacraments, for spiritual growth and support, and for evangelizing the world.

I'll break it down for YOU once more: These are essential doctrines for YOUR PARTICULAR BRAND OF CHRISTIANITY.

Why is YOUR interpretation of scripture 100% infallible and incorrect for those that disagree with you? How are you so sure about your understanding? Keep in mind that the methods you used to attain your understanding (prayer, bible study, et al) are most likely the EXACT SAME methods another Christian used to attain their different understanding.

Are all of these other "Christians" deluded? What is their ultimate fate?

cc.slim said:
Matt 6:33...You know I used to be afraid of this very issue of choosing the wrong religion for I so desired to be on the right side of a argument and then one day my mind set absolutely changed.It was Luke 17:33 that changed me forever.Relax n read the new testiment and you will find the correct religion and remember Jesus is the answer.John 3:16

Hehehe A member of Tyro Christain Church hehehe Guess I am Christain hehehe :)

Slim, how do you answer those, like kev, who don't agree with your particular stance and claim that not only aren't you a "true" Christian, but you shouldn't be considered a Christian at all?

Wow hehehe So funny. Quack meow ruff cluck Me is not dis'd by any means hehehe for God is everything and anything so as for three things why not six, ten or twelve(but 3 things are mention'd and Jesus did say he and the father are 1) Also christain must be reborn plz don't forget that.hehehe Seek and you shall find.

and to make things a bit more interest...

Do you think that the Creeds listed below would define what a True Christian should believe at a basic and fundamental level

Apostles' Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell. [See Calvin]

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

*The word "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Nicene Creed

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I've given up on the whole "true" Christian thing.

It's hard enough to define what a Christian is to begin with, let alone what a "true" Christian is.

As I've said before, I'll give Christianity some credence when it can cease its infighting and fly under a single, unified banner. After all, if there's ONE God and ONE Bible, shouldn't there be a SINGLE group of Christians?

The deal is DV is the views we are giving YOU (like my post that I gave to you AGAIN) clearly dictates what 90 of the Christian Churches out there believe.
You made a lovely listing of those 'Christian' Churches.. it is nice to see that you took the time to make that list but have you researched to see if they believe the same?

Yes there should be a single group of Christians. But with satan in the mix of things blinds us with doctrines that can clearly be looked over instead of seperated over. You sir need to understand that fact.

They DON'T believe the same, yet they are all described as CHRISTIAN.

That's why I asked for someone to separate them for me.

I'd really think twice about your 90% estimate.

Let's look at this 1995 breakdown of Christianity:

Branch Number of Adherents
Catholic 968,000,000
Protestant 395,867,000
Other Christians 275,583,000
Orthodox 217,948,000
Anglicans 70,530,000

According to you, we can discount Catholics and Other Christians. I'm not sure if You consider Anglicans Christian, so I'll leave them in there.

That makes 1,243,583,000 nonChristian Christians and 684,345,000 Christian Christians.

You can double check my math, but I think that puts you in the minority.

BTW, those numbers are from www.adherants.com cited from the 1995 Encyclopedia Brittanica

Wow thats awsome that you have spent so much into this..The book of revelations tells of a one world religion. Not a pretty thing. My advise is to get off the fence before you get pushed over to the wrong side.Matt 22:37 to 40 this is the law.

Back