Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Durruck

Pirate!
John 4:4-9, NIV:

4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

There are several important things to notice about the verses leading upto the discussion with the Woman at the Well.

First, Jesus and the disciples were traveling through Samaria. Jews viewed Samaritans out worthless. They were essentially half-breeds that didn't fit in. The long and short of it, they hated each other. Quite often, Jews would go the long way around just to avoid coming in contact with Samaritans.

Second, Jesus stopped at about noon. It was the middle of the day in the desert. Temperatures have been known to reach over 140 Fahrenheit (60 Celsius). This becomes important because when we stop to consider what the woman was doing there at noon. If it's getting to 140 during the day, when does everyone do their work? In the morning/evening, when it's cool. This woman was going at noon to avoid the other people.

Even among outcasts, she was an outcast.

Lastly, this event takes place early in Jesus' public ministry. About the only other person telling people about Jesus was John the Baptist. Jesus finds this reject among rejects, and uses her to reach an entire village.

The same is true for us. No matter how messed up we are, no matter what we've done, no matter how useless we may feel sometimes, God has a use for each and every one of us.

An outcast among outcasts - ever feel that way? Thanks for this passage.

Back