Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Durruck

Pirate!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

This bit of general wisdom was shared with the Israelites during King Solomon's day, but it also holds true today. What is interesting is that this verse is not talking specifically about sharpening, as in a blade (through honing) or a pencil (through cutting parts away).

The usage of the original Hebrew word, chadad, can indicate honing, like a skill. It is used to indicate the act of becoming more keen, more alert, or more aware.

We are not called to be sharp-tongued or scathing toward one another, but to help hone - improve - one another. Within our circle of Christian brothers and sisters, we are to hold each other accountable, improving the ways in which we show our love for God, showing His mercy, goodness, and love to one another through encouragement and through building each other up.

If anything, we are called to help encourage and cut away the sin and death in each others lives - the things that hold us back from a full life.

Something to consider: when others criticize you, do you get defensive or evaluate their accusations for truth?

We are not called to be sharp-tongued or scathing toward one another, but to help hone - improve - one another. Within our circle of Christian brothers and sisters, we are to hold each other accountable, improving the ways in which we show our love for God, showing His mercy, goodness, and love to one another through encouragement and through building each other up.

indicate the act of becoming more keen, more alert, or more aware.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that about the word sharpen, actually never gave it much thought.

If anything, we are called to help encourage and cut away the sin and death in each others lives - the things that hold us back from a full life.

Something to consider: when others criticize you, do you get defensive or evaluate their accusations for truth?

This goes with being Salt of the earth. I did a study on salt and boy was it a journey. I learned a lot about how we are to treat each other and how our reactions speak volumes about ourselves.

This was one of them blogs I truly do not believe I wrote, it was totally Holy Spirit all the way. I've read it several times since then.

http://marcielynns.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/please-pass-the-salt/

Enjoy!

Back