web site suggestions/requests

janc

In preparation for working on the chapter web site, I would like some input about any features and information members would like on the web site. I'm not sure what capabilities I will have for dynamic content on the site, but I will try to accomodate as many requests as possible. Some things I have developed for other guild sites I have worked on:

- guild roster and stats (from Camelot Herald XML data)
- guild structure, rank information
- guild charter and rules
- weapon style information (from Camelot Herald XML data)
- spell information (from Camelot Herald XML data)
- character planner

Does anyone have any requests?

Also, do we want to change the look of the site, or leave it as is?

Tonight when I get home, I have some time and will work on your access to the site.

As for dynamic capabilities, our host supports CGI, php, ASP, .NET and Cold Fusion so it is really up to you.

For the most part, the ToJ site is written in Cold Fusion with the exception of a couple chapters sites like DAOC. If you want, I have the Cold Fusion template files that I use for the other chapters that can be used to quickly plug into the features of the ToJ website like the calendar, news, roster and polls. Otherwise, if you want to tie into those systems using another server technology like php or asp, I can pass along the SQL queries.

Janc, I have added you as the web project leader for the DAOC chapter on our staff listing page. Again, if you have any questions about our host, how to use some of the alreading existing features of the website or general web design question, please don't hesitate to ask me.

First, let me thank you for taking on this project. God has blessed you with the opportunity and the knowledge that some of us do not have, and as such, it is an honor and a blessing to have you among us. Thank you Jan.

Now for a few ideas of my own that can be agreed upon or laughed at by our members. Its for everybody to decide upon, but keep in mind that these ideas are raw and will need some refining or thinking. So here goes.

Maybe on the main page, we have a screenshot of the week. That way, anyone who visits the site can see an up to date picture that shows us to be an active and fun-loving family of Christians having a blast in a wild realm.

I like the idea of linking Trinity guild information to the site so that instead of going to the Camelot Herald all the time to check on guild status, we can check it at the web page. This would be good to like the guild roster section to.

Maybe put some permanent screenshots in the 'about' page that show what the guild is all about.

The news section may need 2 sections. 1: main updates from the camelot herald. 2: officer/leadership information and/or announcements for the guild.

I think if we start putting up to date pictures and information in the page that more people can do a quick check of it rather than sifting through the forums.

Maybe a guestbook?

How about a page that presents the Christian gospel: Who is Jesus?

Give the page a Christian/medieval flavor. Kind of like we were actually in the dark ages in England, but with Jesus as our light.

Just a few raw ideas. What do you guys think?

Most of the guild code I have written to this point is in ColdFusion, but I was prepared to convert to PHP if necessary.  It should go much faster since I can keep it in ColdFusion.

I like your ideas, Malohout - ideally, I'll set up some sort of web-based admin so news items and screenshots can be added from a browser.That will also allow several people to keep the information current easily.  I already have code written to incorporate the Camelot Herald news in a site, so adding that will be easy.

For the style and spell information (as well as the character planner, if you want it), I may just connect to my current DAoC databases if I can, just for ease of maintenance - only one set of data to keep current.

I'll start experimenting with a graphic design.  I'm a developer, though, not a graphic artist, so input will be welcomed.

From a scriptural perspective for the design, I thought this goes well with our emblem: Proverbs 18:10  "The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe."

i like it , keep going !
smile.gif

~C

As I was scrolling up much later I saw a request for written information about ranks for the website flash by in /gu this evening...

I have seen information on ranks in writing...but I forget where...does anyone remember where I saw this?
smile.gif

it was prolly posted someplace here before the move...ill check my old computer later and see if i still have the original post from back in the days when i set up the new rank system

By the way Janc thanks for taking the initiative to revamp the site...it is something we all have discussed for a very long time but none us us really had the know how of how to go about it. I really love those ideas. Keep us informed. Another feature id like to see is a place for a scripture of the day so our guild pastors can keep us fed from the site.

I made some more modifications to the design I posted a link to earlier.  I decided to expand on the parchment/document theme and added a heraldic device, as well as a wax seal thing.  I also added the DAoC logo to the bottom.  The sample is at the same location as before, http://www.janc.cpinternet.com/parchmentbuild.jpg

As always, feel free to comment, critique, etc.

Wow, I really really like it. I never thought about having a crest. Every medieval family (well at least noble ones) had a family crest. I guess its about time we had one lol. Great job. Keep the good work up.

Have you considered using frames? It makes using that page as your homepage easier... just a thought...

Back