Warrior thread

faust

So yesterday I started replaying Congnomedrum, and I have been enjoying him a great deal. He is protection specced, and I plan to having him farm the instances (still need to farm Ramparts more for a few more items).

I am curious to hear from other warriors in the guild how well protection warriors scale in the end game instances?

I ask because I made the mistake of visiting the Warrior forums on Blizzard's site. :( To hear it from those posters, we are doomed. I am hoping all this talk is just a case of the warriors who are enjoying the class are all too busy gearing up, and those who don't are complaining.

On a side note, as many of you know, I have an up and coming teddy tank (level 57 right now). I am interested to see how the two classes scale as tanks in all the various instances.

Dps warriors are whining cause they got their rage nerfed with 2.0 and can't do as much damage as they had been able to, which doesn't affect me in the least.

However, Prot warriors are upset cause they are having trouble generating the same amount of threat that druids can generate, and the amount of amazing ac/hp/dodge that druids have compared to prot spec warriors is sending some warrior folk over the edge, lol.

Druids need high ac/hp/dodge for their mitigation, as they don't get any of the abilities that warriors do. They don't parry, they don't wear shields, they can't sunder, they have no shield block, etc. They have to do alot of damage to generate threat, and they do, and they keep aggro well. This is fine. No problem here with druids tanking and having the high ac/hp/dodge and damage output to do it.

The problem is that warriors threat generation is not scaling. I have noticed with Tinie, even at 70, that my taunt fails often, even mocking blow. I have noticed that it is difficult to keep aggro, even when I have had complete aggro on a fully sundered mob with other aggro generating abilities like devastate being spammed. All it takes to loose the aggro is for a dps class to get a crit and it is immediately gone. I then have to go get the mob, and try to taunt it off, which very frequently will fail.

I had been attributing this to mobs that were higher than me, and dps that is putting out a bunch more damage than they used to, and me not being 70. On the other hand, the bear tank doesn't seem to have this problem, and I am 70 now. So, this does become a problem for warriors because we should be TOP on being able to generate and hold aggro, cause we are THE tanking class, and give up alot in the area of damage dealing coolness to be able to mitigate all that damage. The others are just hybrid wannabees!! *cough* Er, I mean, I love bears!

Blizzard has made a post about how they are going to be tweaking the warrior class. We will just have to see what they end up doing. Druids are afraid with the warriors griping, that they will nerf bears. I truly hope this doesn't happen, and that they just buff warriors as far as threat generation goes. There is not a problem with druids being able to tank. Warriors are still the top at mitigation, we just need a boost on threat generation is all.

Threat generation is the only thing that does not seem to be scaling with gear and level. I am happy with Tinie at 70 other than this. Sure I would be happy if my class was the uberest of all, but she is really fine other than threat generation.

I'm a fury warrior, lvl 70. I've always been fury and I've spent most of my time MT'ing 5-10 man instances and OT'ing 20+.

I like the flexibility of being able to hang with hunters dps wise.. and also tank..I compensate for my lack of talents in the prot tree, with a good tanking set. I'm around 11,000 hp and a little over 10k armor without buffs. Plus I can use skillz like piercing howl and improved intercept to compensate for any lack of threat generation I have. (If I lose a mob I can just spam PH till I get him back) I've MT'd 3-4 of the 70 elite dungeons with no issues holding hate on the bosses, provided..I'm given time to get my sunders in and the group understands dps management especially during an aggro wipe.. In general this is true for all warriors, but especially dps tanks.

If we are talking just about talent trees alone, (dps vs. Prot) the prot tree is still king in terms of threat generation/survivability. All things being equal, (Often they are not) skill and gear, the prot warrior is better specced for threat generation, dmg mitigation (which lends to mana efficiency for the healers) and survivability.

If you want to MT all the high lvl instances in BC with maximum efficiency and be sure you will get the tanking spot, go prot tree. If you want the flexibility of being able to be a viable dps class and tank (Hybrid) go dual wield fury and stack Strength/AP/Crit/agil on your dps set. Get yourself a nice tanking set and you can easily MT or OT the lvl 61-72 elite 5 mans. I can't speak to the 10 man or the 25 man instance yet.

But if you are not prot, don't expect to get the MT or OT spot if skilled, good geared prot warriors are present. (Which is how it should be)

Danny

as a arms warrior I find it hard to tank and keep the aggro off others if I dont get a sunder or two in but aafter that I have no porblyem and i think it goes back to the tank 101 bit where given the rage time we need tanking can still be awesome, I do get frausted when I cant hold aggro but hey I am arms not aproc, and i can crit hit for 20% and I got crusader so yeah lol

Where would you put +hit in that order? What about things like +dodge, parry, & +def?

I'm an arms warrior who does some tanking, so generally I carry 2 sets of gear, with lots of +stam & + def for tanking.

For soloing or dps I use +agi, +str, & +crit

+hit only really factors in for warriors in two cases:

1. You are dual wielding. The extra +hit helps lower the greatly increased miss rate in this style of fighting.

2. You are fighting mobs above your level.

There is a base 5% miss rate everyone gets, and I don't think that can be mitigated with +hit gear. When you fight mobs your own level then you should have a 5% miss rate.

Back