Trojans, malware, blah blah blah = Hacked WoW accounts ...

Allanon

Maybe it is cause we have had so many hacked accounts lately, maybe its cause I have too much time on my hands, maybe it is cause I enjoy security as an industry, but I have been refreshing my knowledge on the subject. It amazes me that nothing changes. While the hacks are a bit more ingenious, they really are not mind blowing.

I do find it interesting concerning the authenticator Trojan currently out there. There has been much discussion on the subject:

Blizzard's response/confirmation:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=12730404058&sid=1&pageNo=1

How the trojan is being spread:
http://www.worldofraids.com/topic/15642-authenticator-keylogger-source-fake-wowmatrix-website

It fascinates me how far people will go to get access to your account. I am posting this largely for education but also to simulate discussion on the subject.

So post your thoughts on the subject and tips you use to keep clean.

- Keep your OS up to date.
- Keep your antivirus up to date.
- Don't click on links in emails, IM, on websites, etc that you don't recognize. Check the page source to see where the link goes if you are suspicious. It's not too difficult to disguise on the surface where a link goes.
- Don't install plugins/software unless you know EXACTLY what it is. Same goes with downloading files.
- Turn off automatic execution of scripts in your browser. Also try get an adblocking plugin for your browser (such as Adblock Plus for Firefox) - ads from questionable sources are one more more window into your computer.

- Or don't play WoW?

/gets poked with a level 3 dagger

Trojan targeting WoW players. Don't play WoW, won't have the trojan affecting you.

But for serious, also be careful of some MMO gaming sites. There are a few that have had banners and ads that installed keyloggers before.

Trojan targeting WoW players. Don't play WoW, won't have the trojan affecting you.

But for serious, also be careful of some MMO gaming sites. There are a few that have had banners and ads that installed keyloggers before.
I wouldn't go so far as calling you a troll, but this is a WoW Christian Guild and member of the Christian Gaming Alliance. We are here because we all play World of Warcraft together. I believe the intent of the OP is to ensure folks are aware of current attacks and applying appropriate measure to keep their systems and accounts secure.

"Don't play WoW" isn't really the answer we are looking for nor is it constructive advice.

- Keep your OS up to date.
- Keep your antivirus up to date.

That alone will protect you from most of the stuff out there; it’s kind of akin to locking your windows and your doors when you go out. There’s more you can do as posted above but those two things are so simple, and its amazing how many people don't do that.

Good point Vig, interesting note from one of the forums I was reading. Many of the compromised boxes are coming from pirated copies of XP. I guess they got it coming but nevertheless, it has an effect on us. Oh, I should note why this is relevant, pirated copies of XP are not allowed to connect and update to the latest security patches which leaves these machines exposed in a bad way.

Oh, and to add :)

Using a browser besides Explorer is good as well, not that explorer is horrible or that the other ones are problem free. Its because if you wanted to hack computers and you were going to invest a large amount of your time to do so would you learn how to do it exploiting Explorer, which 100's of millions use, or Chome/firefox/etc where it has a fraction of the market. Or to go with the home analogy again: if you picked locks and wanted to break in places, would you learn how to do it for the one lock type that 90% of the homes have, or for one that 3% of the homes have?

My thoughts on it anyway. :) ((Currently using Chrome myself at home))

I wouldn't go so far as calling you a troll, but this is a WoW Christian Guild and member of the Christian Gaming Alliance. We are here because we all play World of Warcraft together. I believe the intent of the OP is to ensure folks are aware of current attacks and applying appropriate measure to keep their systems and accounts secure.

"Don't play WoW" isn't really the answer we are looking for nor is it constructive advice.

No need to take offense, my post was tongue-in-cheek. :)

Oh, and to add :)

Using a browser besides Explorer is good as well, not that explorer is horrible or that the other ones are problem free. Its because if you wanted to hack computers and you were going to invest a large amount of your time to do so would you learn how to do it exploiting Explorer, which 100's of millions use, or Chome/firefox/etc where it has a fraction of the market. Or to go with the home analogy again: if you picked locks and wanted to break in places, would you learn how to do it for the one lock type that 90% of the homes have, or for one that 3% of the homes have?

My thoughts on it anyway. :) ((Currently using Chrome myself at home))

I wouldn't pick any locks; I'd smash windows - probably the reason why I'd be a horrible hacker :p

I remember a forum post years ago from Adam that actually had Microsoft recommending people to utilize Firefox as a browser because it was superior to their 'we-left-too-many-back-doors-unguarded' browser IE. I wish I could find the archive for it. Was so priceless to read it right on their own website trying to steer people clear of their own product.

And I also recommend dressing like a night elf hunter and hanging out at the local Taco Bell...you don't catch viruses that way but if you aren't careful you can earn a ring of fire! :D

For those of you who use Firefox, you can pick up a little gem I found last night: Firebug. It lets you see the HTML behind the site in question allowing you to easily see what links and redirects a site has on it so you're not caught completely unawares.

Get Firebug at http://getfirebug.com/...

Yeah, Firebug is awesome. Just a note of caution, it does chew up a hefty amount of resources while it's running...

I used Firefiox for a good 6-8 months and ended up switching to Chrome, Firefox just seemed to have too many little issues with hanging etc, not sure what it was, did fresh installs, made sure it was up to date, etc. When I installed windows 7 fresh I started having the same issues, tried chrome and it has been fine for the last 3 months, not one hang-up/crash from it yet. I know firefox works just great for some, not sure if it’s a piece of hardware it doesn't agree with on mine since it has been two operating systems it didn’t like now.

I don't have issues with firefox on Windows but I have had many problems with it on the Mac (starting with firefox 3 — never had issues with firefox 2). Like you, I prefer chrome to firefox. Just found out that there's a firebug version for chrome called chromebug. Get it here: http://getfirebug.com/releases/chromebug/. :)

Just to add it was the same for me, Firefox 2 never had an issue for me, it was with Firefox 3 that the issues starting happening as well.

Firefox was simply awesome until the update to version 3. It seems Firefox tried to add too much to their system and it is becoming more and more annoying. If you all tell me the script and ad blockers on Chrome are up to the task, I will give it a go. Thoughts?

[7F]LarryBoy;372521 said:
Yeah, Firebug is awesome. Just a note of caution, it does chew up a hefty amount of resources while it's running...

Like Windows Vista doesn't? hehe

I am now interested in Chrome for the same FF2 to FF3 upgrade reason; and honestly have been oblivious to Chrome until you guys lit up my life. Anyone that knows me will tell the rest of you that I am non-geek-but-cool-anyway so just pick up your jaws at my ignorance and let's move on now :)

Is Chrome more simplified/less resources? Honestly Firefox is still far ahead of IE but if there's something better I will definitely give it a go.

Back