Too much profanity?

just get Elihu to record "Ahhh, palmolive!" for being vomited or spit on.
That is a brilliant idea.

What no singing?
That is a terrifying idea.

But seriously, maybe we should each record a few sounds to contribute to the sound pack and make a "humor" alternative to the stock profanity filter sound pack. Could be a lot of fun.

Hey Patriot,

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod. I made my own profanity filter for L4d1, and was about to make a L4D2 version. So you saved me a *lot* of work. Thanks!

Hey Patriot,

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod. I made my own profanity filter for L4d1, and was about to make a L4D2 version. So you saved me a *lot* of work. Thanks!
/bump for newly approved post

Hey Patriot,

Thank you. It's nice to know that it's being used and appreciated.

FYI: It has not been updated for "The Passing" yet. I don't have a time frame on this being done yet. I have very little computer time (gaming or otherwise) at home so it takes a bit for me to work up to making these things. God first, family second, then chores etc., computer play time a distant last. =)

Patriot! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been wanting a profanity patch for l4d2. I finally sat down this weekend to try and embark on doing in myself. I quickly became overwhelmed realizing the amount of time it was going to take. So I spent the last 45 mins or so googling and found your thread here. A huge thanks to you for your work on this!!! I am very happy.

Thank you Thank you and Thank you!! Me and my family really enjoy playing the game but the language makes you want to put on the bottom of a list of games to play. The filter working good and added it to all our pcs ! We are looking forward to adding The Passing to the list. :)

*Groan*

Demand is increasing. I guess I'll have to get off my lazy rear and start work on "The Passing". . .

Once that is done I'll post it to a mod site and endure the unending flames about my virgin ears, mixed up priorities, etc.

It only takes a small group of people to change the world...

Patriot! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been wanting a profanity patch for l4d2. I finally sat down this weekend to try and embark on doing in myself. I quickly became overwhelmed realizing the amount of time it was going to take. So I spent the last 45 mins or so googling and found your thread here. A huge thanks to you for your work on this!!! I am very happy.
/bump for newly approved post

Heh, just took a look at the new dlc files. Only 2146 sound files to run through. Given that the original set had 7107 I guess that's not too bad. Give me a week or so and I'll try to have the first test ready.

Once that is done I'll post it to a mod site and endure the unending flames about my virgin ears, mixed up priorities, etc.

I hope our gratitude outweighs the grief you get from those other people that just don't understand. Thank you again for providing this mod!

I hope our gratitude outweighs the grief you get from those other people that just don't understand. Thank you again for providing this mod!
QFT.

And to quote from two wildly different sources: "Haters gonna hate" and "Sinners sin." These secular lyrics are unexpected sources of wisdom for members of the Christian gaming community (especially those in positions of leadership).

I've been active in the Christian gaming community for over a decade and I learned a long time ago to set two standards for behavior: One for Christian gamers and one for everyone else. "Sinners sin" and it's not reasonable to expect them to behave any differently. (There are, of course, many non-Christian gamers who exhibit good sportsmanship. I don't mean to dismiss their contributions to the communities in which they participate.)

So the next time someone posts another inane message mocking your efforts, click here and shrug it off.

Yes, haters are indeed going to hate, but you have a group of like-minded gamers, bound together by a shared faith, to support you.

profanity filters are great, aren't they? By the way, if you need humorous sound clips... I have a couple i could do...

I may have overestimated the completion time. . .I just finished up the last set. 199 files replaced either with a comparable sound byte or a blank sound file depending on the context. I should be able to create and post the mod file tonight.

@Joshinator: No offense, but I'm not much on a humorous sound set. I prefer to keep the game as close to the original as possible (minus the language). On the other hand, you are more than welcome to modify the mod I create to your heart's content (assuming you own the game).

@dhtjohnnyrotten & Tek7: I appreciate the support. I intended to post the previous version but was too lazy to get around to it. This time around I'll put a little more effort into it so it can reach a wider audience. If there are this many here that want and use a filter there must be many more out there that would be willing to use one but don't have the time/knowledge to create their own and haven't found this site.

Okay. Version 0.4 is now uploaded in place of 0.3 (now up to 33MB). I've done minimal testing and can't tell if it is working or not. The file structure is all messed up with The Passing and I'm making an educated guess at how it should be in the vpk. I did notice that Francis seemed to be stuck on a certain phrase at the beginning of the first chapter. It may be a sign that it is sort of working. I might try rebuilding the sound cache to see if that changes anything. Link is the same (quoted below for your convenience).

A couple things:
  1. Please don't download this vpk if you don't own the game.
  2. If you download this vpk and run it please provide me with feedback on whether it is working or not. If you hear profanity, please let me know which character and what area on the map if possible. I don't have the time to run through the maps 18 times to test this, but if each of us runs through 1-2 times and provides some feedback then I think we could call it fairly well tested.
  3. Sewer is a good spot to test as Nick and Coach get pretty vulgar in the mucky water.

http://cid-e936cddc0ccfa026.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L4D2

Instructions:
Download the .7z file
Unzip the .7z file with 7-zip
You should be able to double-click on the vpk to install it or you can manually move it to your L4D2 addons folder (left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\addons).
Enter the game
Go to Extras->Addons and ensure that Profanity Filter v0.4 is selected
Test to see if profanity is removed

If it doesn't appear to be working try the following:
Open console and type snd_rebuildaudiocache
Wait for the bar to finish traveling across the screen (took 10-15 minutes for me)
You will probably have to force quit L4D2 as both Tek7 and I had this problem (reached the end of the loading bar and then stopped doing anything).

The download link isn't working at the moment. :(

Any chance you can re-host somewhere else?

Hmm, it's the same link as before. It's working for me (which doesn't mean much). I have no other host to upload it to unless you have any suggestions.

Are you logged in with your "Live" Id? You might try logging in here and then try clicking on the link.

I have very little computer time (gaming or otherwise) at home so it takes a bit for me to work up to making these things.

I'll be happy to volunteer my time if you decide to outsource any future work. Just let me know.

I'll be happy to volunteer my time if you decide to outsource any future work. Just let me know.
Thank you sir.

Has anyone been able to download the latest version, or is everyone having the same issue as Tek7?

Back