[b said:
Quote[/b] (James @ Jan. 12 2005,9:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And ToJ,is not a clan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]this is a christian clan.

rock.gif
Okay....Now I'm confused

No need for confusion...if you are ever unclear about something, feel free to question it. I'll support why I said ToJ is not a clan.

From the FaQs:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can I join Tribe of Judah if I'm already a member of another clan or guild?
Yes. We allow Christian gamers who currently belong to another clan to also join Tribe of Judah. ToJ is a gaming fellowship, not a clan, and thus we do not require members to leave their current clan to join.

Then we need to get this straight, are we actually a clan or not?

1. Half of the people I talk to, or read posts from on this forum say that ToJ is a clan. The other half say it isn't.

2. We behave like a clan (wearing clan tags and competing in the TWL as a clan).

3. This group was originally advertised as a clan when I saw it in a forum post which originally peaked my interest to begin with.

I would really like to know if this is a clan or not. From someone who actually knows the truth, please.

If it isn't a clan, than why do we engage in the clanlike activities (i.e. Tags and competitions)?

I love wearing the ToJ clantag, but if we actually aren't a clan then I have been making a fool of myself for almost a year now... Because not only have I been wearing a clantag for a non-clan, but I have also been advertising ToJ as a clan both on my website and to all the people I talk to in real life.
sad.gif

We are a community. But i guess that could be classed as a non competitive clan. We do have comp teams in some chapters that go into leagues but due to the fact toj covers a number of games its difficult to pin down.

You wear the tag if you are christian and play games. In one sense we are a clan, in another sense its a way to find christians online. Wear the tag, dont consider it a foolish thing. We do not accept non christians. Toj is a statement of faith,

from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Main Entry: clan
Pronunciation: 'klan
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Scottish Gaelic clann offspring, clan, from Old Irish cland plant, offspring, from Latin planta plant
1 a : a Celtic group especially in the Scottish Highlands comprising a number of households whose heads claim descent from a common ancestor b : a group of people tracing descent from a common ancestor
2 : a group united by a common interest or common characteristics

Ok, #1b) we can trace ourselves back to a comeon ancestor (Jesus)(Does anyone need to hear the new creation verse?).
#2) our common interest is Jesus, and our common characteristic is our faith in Jesus.

Well??? James I think you are right, so keep wearing that tag. And, according to the charter established by our founding members (does anyone need to see the verse on authority?) we are also a community.

WE ARE BOTH! We are a clan, under Jesus Christ, and we are a community, under Jesus Christ, established by the founding charter.

TRIBE OF JUDAH

Main Entry: tribe
Pronunciation: 'trIb
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin tribus, a division of the Roman people, tribe
1 a : a social group comprising numerous families, clans, or generations together with slaves, dependents, or adopted strangers b : a political division of the Roman people orig. representing one of the three original tribes of ancient Rome c : PHYLE
2 : a group of persons having a common character, occupation, or interest <wow this looks familiar
wink.gif
>

Judah - and our connection with Christ
Hebrews 7:14 (KJV)
For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

Let us no longer worry about if we are a clan/community, let us continue in the work we are all CALLED to do.

Be at peace James, you have not done anything foolish. If anything, I hope the "non-christinas" have seen Jesus in you.

MAY OUR GOD BE PRAISED FOREVER AND EVER FROM OUR MOUTHS, HEARTS & MINDS!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Wow. Three pages of posts. Hot topic.
smile.gif

First, I'd like to say that the question of whether Tribe of Judah is a clan or not is not a critical one. True, it can be confusing. Even I find myself correcting myself when about to call ToJ.

Strictly speaking, ToJ is not a clan. It is a gaming fellowship. Or gaming community. Whichever term you are comfortable with. I say ToJ is not a clan because we do not operate as most clans operate. Admission is not based on skill; it is based on a common faith. Yes, we wear tags to identify ourselves as members, but I wouldn't call those "clan tags." And yes, ToJ does include competition teams, but I don't believe that nails us down as a clan, either.

HOWEVER, I do understand it can be difficult to explain all this to those asking about ToJ. I will not be offended if someone refers to ToJ as a clan or does not correct someone else referring to ToJ as a clan. As long as people understand that admission is not based on skill but rather sharing the basic tenets of Christian faith, then I'm not overly concerned what our group is labeled.

Clan, fellowship, community. We're not a clan, but I don't get too bent out of shape when people call ToJ a clan.

Now, moving on to my next topic. ^^

I did want to commend Phix for his desire to make unbelievers feel invited in this community. While we certainly do not want to cater to unbelievers at the expense of members, we do want to express Christ's love to them. Our charter remains firm on admission standards: one must be a Christian to join ToJ. I do not believe that unbelievers have any reason to take offense at this; most reasonable people understand that people group together when they share a common faith. They also understand that there is a difference between rejecting others and declining membership to those who do not meet the requirements.

I don't believe there's any reason for people to respond harshly when discussing the matter of admission requirements, though. A simple "the charter says so" will suffice. Instead of continuing this debate, I would like to discuss ways we could reach out to unbelievers as Christ did.

Phix: If you're willing to post them, I'd love to hear your suggestion. I hope to nudge ToJ further into the realm of outreach this year and am looking for ways to do so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even the ones that are, blood relatives to certain ToJ'ers?
rock.gif

You dont become christian by association.. Its a decision you have to make yourself.

Honestly I believe though our servers are great times for all of us, which I am on very frequently and see many individuals enjoy it, alas there are times where the Christian message seems to fall very short.

With the censorship bot, people can still see the *'s and then that gets everyone rounded up and they start going around it and whatnot, there needs to be a more forceful yet "loving" reaction to this. We need a few more dependent admins, just using the CS server as an example, to kind of enforce I standpoints and everything even when it comes time to kick individuals we must inform them of what they have done wrong.

I have found myself speaking to individuals when using profanity that we don't allow profanity on our server, that the server is a christian-rules server, and we would appreciate it if they would follow our rules. And I generally get a great response from them, in apology, and then in gameplay. We need to set a stronger basis and actually make the christian servers used for christian activities. I understand that there are flaws with general gameplay and people are very sidetracked...but I wouldn't think it would be a bad idea for ToJ to actually shut the server down during certain hours, 1 or 2 times a week, for ONLY ToJ players to join in and discuss amongst themselves.

Half of the people in ToJ I have never even seen. I think this could build a more firm christian society among us Christians, and allow us to reach forth.

One of the most important aspects of outreach for ToJ right now would be implimenting and starting the Bible study's. I would be glad to teach one or two, or however you would wish, and we can close the servers down for this maybe, or just have them on teamspeak, but using the server allows for individuals to see what we are doing. We could in time open the Bible Studies up to nonbelievers or nonmembers via a signup process on cgalliance or toj websites.

There are many different ideas and ways of doing things, I just have a few and they are not solid or perfect in any form just a few ideas of my own.

Take care and God Bless,
Sean aka Phix
Tribes of Judah Public Relations Coordinator

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] We need a few more dependent admins

wow didnt think you would turn to the dark side of the force so easily...
rock.gif

On a lighter note.. Bible studies have been tried and have not been successfull so far due to lack of staff. They are being tried again i assume by the current team working on the cga prayer letter. So please direct any comments about studies to them.

I dont like star wars
smile.gif
But what I meant by dependable is that there is like never an admin present when one is needed. "Active" is a better word I guess.

<3 rizz:blues:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phix @ Jan. 15 2005,8:28)]But what I meant by dependable is that there is like never an admin present when one is needed. "Active" is a better word I guess.
Hm. Though other members have approached me with similar concerns before, all have not been aware that there is an admin paging bot. I don't believe the problem is the lack of active admins, but rather that most members do not know such a paging bot exists or how to use it. I believe a more sensible solution would be to better "advertise" the paging bot. I have personally answered several pages and I know other admins are active than me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phix @ Jan. 14 2005,10:28)]alas there are times where the Christian message seems to fall very short.
While I agree that there is more we could be doing to reach out to unbelievers, I also must step back, look at how far we've come in the last five and a half years, and see that we've blessed a large number of people. We've encouraged believers, been a positive witness to unbelievers, and blessed many people through our game servers. So while we need to be looking forward to what more we can be doing to "make disciples of all people," I wouldn't agree that the message ever falls "very short."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With the censorship bot, people can still see the *'s and then that gets everyone rounded up and they start going around it and whatnot, there needs to be a more forceful yet "loving" reaction to this.
While admins may get frustrated from time to time, it's been my experience that this is the exception and not the rule. Most admins politely ask that players follow the rules and most players, in turn, try their best not to swear again. We are constantly striving to show an "agape" love toward players and I feel we are successful far more often than not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We need to set a stronger basis and actually make the christian servers used for christian activities.
Hm. Shutting down the Counter-Strike servers, even temporarily, might not be the best way to hold Bible studies or similar activities. Christian Gamers Alliance staff members are currently working on starting a Bible study program, but that would take place on the CGA TeamSpeak server.

Still, this is an idea that shouldn't be immediately dismissed. Even if we do not use the CS server for the actual studies, we could at least advertise upcoming Bible studies on the server. *shrug* Just an idea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We could in time open the Bible Studies up to nonbelievers or nonmembers via a signup process on cgalliance or toj websites.
If plans proceed on the same track as they are now on, anyone wanting to join in a Bible study on our TeamSpeak server would only need to create a free account to log on. The studies would be open to anyone who obeys the rule set forth for the studies (e.g. no swearing, let the teacher finish his introduction before beginning discussion, and so on).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would be glad to teach one or two,
Excellent! I believe we'll be seeking out Bible study leaders soon, so please send me an e-mail at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org to help me remember when the time comes. My short term memory is not the best. ^^;;

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are many different ideas and ways of doing things, I just have a few and they are not solid or perfect in any form just a few ideas of my own.
And I appreciate them! As long as suggestions are presented respectfully, I don't mind discussing them in the least.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You dont become christian by association.. Its a decision you have to make yourself.

Well, I'm an accuser, so you see my point, Rizz.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With the censorship bot, people can still see the *'s and then that gets everyone rounded up and they start going around it and whatnot, there needs to be a more forceful yet "loving" reaction to this.

Its the 'maturity' level thats happening. I dont know the age range, But I know one is 13 and another is 48, so that gives a good range of 'maturity'.

13 years old: being less mature, but somewhat, humorous.
48 years old: being fully mature, but somewhat, strict.

So if your between that age group, your likely to be half and half...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe a more sensible solution would be to better "advertise" the paging bot. I have personally answered several pages and I know other admins are active than me.

But seriously, who would want to be up at 10 pm pt/11 pm mt/12 am et/7 am euro, its very doubtful anyone can just wake up in the middle of the night and kick/ban someone/some people. I, personally know thats the time most hackers/swearers would be, heh.

You want to do a admin a favor, make a demo, snapshot/status/condump via to steambans for hackers; make a demo, status/condump via email admin/s for swearing.

0_0

At risk of turning this into a CS admin war.. Like the many we have had before.

1. We have admins online most of the day. If not on the server then watching on RCON or on instant messenger.
2. We have a paging bot. Use it.
3. If there are none around then record a demo or condump and email it to one of the admins.
4. Join steambans and submit any hacker demos yourselves.

There are multiple tools for people on this server. Anyone who complains about a lack of admin is not paying attention.

And we dont have any admins that are 13. o_O

Back