Thursday, October 4, 2012

Japesland

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures
-1 Corinthians 15:3

Hey everyone!

Japesland here! I know I haven’t been too incredibly active in the forums around here, but I have been extremely active in the CGA IRC (check it out at irc.gamesurge.net #cga) and have been wanting to get involved with Verse of the Day for a while. Well here we go! This is my first go at this so bear with me. : )

I originally wanted to start my focus with Job (my goal is to focus most of my verse contributions on the Old Testament and Scripture’s existence as the prime source of world history, with the presupposition, of course, that it is the God-breathed, inerrant Word of God), however, just a few hours ago I attended a lecture by leading Apologist Dr. Gary Habermas on the resurrection of Jesus Christ, so I decided last minute to change my direction.

In 1 Cor 15:3, we have a focus on Paul’s statement that Christ literally died for our sins according to the Old Testament scriptures (the Tanak according to the Jews of the time), which of course points to our salvation. This is an important message, however one that I am sure you have long accepted.

Here I would like to point out the former half of the verse, where Paul states “what I received I passed on to you.” The implication here is that Paul’s Gospel was received from a direct source! This may seem insignificant to most, but from a historical standpoint, this is huge! Paul is widely regarded to Biblical skeptics as producing the most trustworthy of the Bible’s writings (please note that I said this is from the view of skeptics) as well as a brilliant philosophical mind. Without going into too much detail, the most well-regarded writer of his time from a contemporary standpoint is saying that he received his information directly to pass onto us! Paul met with a resurrected Jesus as well as the disciples who saw his death and resurrection firsthand!

Anyway, there is much more to say on the matter, but I’ve already gone far longer than I intended, so I leave you with this. Even from the most skeptical point of view, Paul here has given testimony to passing word directly to us from the proverbial horse’s mouth! I don’t know about you, but I find this something to be excited about!

I hope you gained a little something from my contributions today and I hope God has been able to speak to you through this verse as He did to me (through Dr. Gary Habermas). I apologize for posting so later, I’ll try not to make it a habit, but classwork today seemed to get the best of me. I look forward to next time!

Back