Thursday, February 7, 2013

Japesland

"Jesus Wept."
John 11:35 (NIV)

Today's verse may come across as a joke at first (I've heard many people reference John 11:35 in a joking manner due to it being the shortest verse in the Bible), however, this verse came up in my daily reading a number of days ago and struck me for how serious it actually is!

Despite the brevity of John 11:35, we must realize the importance of what the two words, "Jesus wept" actually mean to us. Now for a bit of reference, this verse is located after the death of Lazarus, but before Jesus raises him from the dead. What is happening here is Jesus is actually weeping for Lazarus. While we cannot determine the exact reason for why Jesus did so (as is often the case), we can assume that he was weeping in sympathy for Lazarus and the pain his sisters were going through. While this may not seem too terribly important, the weeping of Jesus just further goes to show how Jesus truly was not only fully God, but ALSO fully man!

I hope this verse can be a blessing to you, and if you ever hear it referenced for its brevity, you can reflect on the importance of it.

Have a blessed week!
-Japesland

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Last edited:
The miracle of the incarnation summarized in two words.

Interesting twist on this verse tho. Is Jesus weeping for Lazarus who he knows is a) going to be brought back b) going to a much better place or for Marry and Martha and the others who "just don't get it" yet.

Back