The Test of Love

Jeshurun

Late last night I was reading 1 John 2:7-17 and verses 9-11 got me thinking as I went to bed. It was the test of love.

1 John 2:9-11 says "He who says he is in the light and hates his brother is in the darkness.
He who loves his brother abides in the light, and in it(God) there is no cause for stumbling.
But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes".

So who is my brother? My answer is we are all brothers regardless whether we are christians or not.

If there is a problem between me and my brother I will not hate him personally. But I do not think it is wrong to hate there decisions in life.

Someone might say well if you hate my decision you hate me.

How many of us have hated a decision a family relative makes and verbally expressed our hate of it, and yet do we love them any less? Of course not!

The problem is that offense occurs and that person feels like you actually hate them but in fact you don't.

It comes down to this respecting the person even when you feel there decisions in life are wrong and loving them for who they are and not for what they say and do.

God looks down on us and hates the things we do but He does not love us any less for it.

Last edited:
Reading your post another scripture came to my mind......

Matthew 5:44 (KJV)
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Matthew 5:44 (MsgB)
I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer,

Back