TF2 Gamenight - Custom map style!

Elihu

Tribe of Judah Staff Manager
It's time to break out your wrenches, axes, machetes or whatever else you like to use and join us for another exciting gamenight.

We will be playing mostly custom maps for this gamenight, testing out new maps and getting feedback from players (clan and non-clan) to see what maps should be added to rotation and which maps should be rotating a ceramic bowl.

When: Monday, January 14th @ 7 PM CST until 10 PM CST.
Where: our server (see my sig for details)
Why: Because we can thanks to our members donating for our own server!! (keep those donations coming so fragging can keep getting better)

For any new members, be sure to read this thread to get invited to the official ToJ steam community.

We look forward to seeing you all there.

It's time to break out your wrenches, axes, machetes or whatever else you like to use and join us for another exciting gamenight.
BONESAW!

We will be playing mostly custom maps for this gamenight, testing out new maps and getting feedback from players (clan and non-clan) to see what maps should be added to rotation and which maps should be rotating a ceramic bowl.
Or the circular file.

Please click here to download a pack containing the maps we plan to play during the Jan. 14 game night.

When a player joins the server and does not already have the current custom map installed, the server will automatically download a compressed version of the map from a web hosting account (provided free with our game server). That web hosting account only allows so much bandwidth per month, so the more people who download and install the map pack linked above before joining the server, the better.

EDIT: And in case our sig images give out, the address of our TF2 server is 8.9.3.149:27015.

Thanks for the info and maps guys. I will try to be there Monday night. It is awesome that you guys keep organizing events. The more the better. Oh, and an unrelated question, does TOJ have a Call of Duty 4 PC clan, or a Two Worlds PC Clan? Just wondering.

Thanks for the info and maps guys. I will try to be there Monday night. It is awesome that you guys keep organizing events. The more the better. Oh, and an unrelated question, does TOJ have a Call of Duty 4 PC clan, or a Two Worlds PC Clan? Just wondering.

Not yet BigD, but I have to be honest that a CoD4 clan would rock. I find myself playing CoD4 online almost as much if not moreso than TF2 right now. The sniping action leaves me giddy.

That being said, I believe that the powers that be in ToJ are willing to help provide webspace, etc. for those interested in creating a game clan within ToJ as long as the person wanting to create it has a solid gameplan in mind about growing the chapter. You'd def. need to have a chat with Tek7 to learn of anything else on this though.

Not yet BigD, but I have to be honest that a CoD4 clan would rock. I find myself playing CoD4 online almost as much if not moreso than TF2 right now. The sniping action leaves me giddy.

That being said, I believe that the powers that be in ToJ are willing to help provide webspace, etc. for those interested in creating a game clan within ToJ as long as the person wanting to create it has a solid gameplan in mind about growing the chapter. You'd def. need to have a chat with Tek7 to learn of anything else on this though.
That's a big 10-4, good buddy.

If anyone's interested in starting and leading a CoD4 chapter, then they should e-mail or PM me with a plan of action and I'll do my best to get them set up.

To be honest, I'm surprised the possibility of a CoD4 chapter hasn't come up before now; I think a CoD4 chapter is definitely feasible, given the game's popularity.

</offtopic>

Just out of curiosity: How many people have downloaded the ToJ TF2 server custom map pack so far?

I just DLed the custom map pack now. Although I'm not sure what folder it's supposed to go in? The 'maps' folder is empty except for another folder called "soundcache", is this the correct folder, "maps"?

I just DLed the custom map pack now. Although I'm not sure what folder it's supposed to go in? The 'maps' folder is empty except for another folder called "soundcache", is this the correct folder, "maps"?
Find the folder with other files like cp_dustbowl.bsp and extract the files in the map pack there.

7-Zip = Open source zip format. You can get utilities for your flavour of OS here.

And actually, I think Tek is incorrect. The default maps are located in a different directory than where you put custom maps, at least that's the way it is on my computer. The default maps are in with the system files, custom maps should go into the /maps/ directory, which, if you haven't installed any or played on any server that has custom maps, should be next to empty.

And actually, I think Tek is incorrect. The default maps are located in a different directory than where you put custom maps, at least that's the way it is on my computer. The default maps are in with the system files, custom maps should go into the /maps/ directory, which, if you haven't installed any or played on any server that has custom maps, should be next to empty.
I might be mistaken. I typed my last post from my desktop; I have TF2 installed on my notebook.

I tried to find a tutorial for installing custom maps, but wasn't able to find one with a quick google-fu chop.

Maybe someone could write up a thread detailing where and how to download and install the custom map pack?

/bump

TF2 custom map game night tonight (Monday, Jan. 14) starting at 7 p.m. Central.

If you haven't already downloaded the custom map pack, download it here.

Woot for custom maps! This ought to be a blast. Look forward to seeing alot of you there for some fraggin' fun!

Just a head's up, I found out I have to teach a class tonight, I won't be on until much later than I expected, probably 8:15 CST (9:15 EST). Hopefully things are still going strong by then. :)

Awesome gaming last night guys/gals, definitely some great moments in those matches. I regret missing the earlier matches!

Of the maps played, I pretty much liked them all, with a couple of comments:

- seems like Freezers would do well with a larger player count, doesn't seem to be sniper friendly
- Wolf is a good map, but I think it works best with smaller player counts, and some people didn't know where point B was

Any other thoughts?

First off, thanks to all who came out and helped make Custom mp gamenight a success. I personally had a blast, even got a few friend invites out of it, and hope that everyone else did too. It was refreshing to play some new maps.

Now, down to the nitty gritty. Down below is a list of maps I enjoyed and maps I did not like that much.

Liked: Lazytown, Freezers, Turbine
Not liked: Dirtwork, Snofort
On the fence: Castle, Wolf, Warpath

Maps that I got positive feedback on were:
Lazytown (lots of good feedback, could be good for smaller amount of players), Castle (good for large amounts of players), Turbine, Freezers.

**On a side-note, Shagz, where is that screenie you took of Tek and Offnickle from last night??

With the assistance of last night's gamenight, the officers hope to have a discussion about what maps should be added to the rotation. We also hope that everyone had fun and we will try to plan another custom map gamenight sometime in the near future. (tons of customs out there)

Awesome night of gaming. It was encouraging to see the server packed out for a good chunk of the evening.

A few notes:
  • Most players seemed to like most custom maps. The feedback overall was positive.
  • I thought we'd have problems packing out the server last night because we were running customs. Instead, the server filled up as quickly or more quickly than when we run standard maps. Scheduling an event ahead of time and having several ToJ members show up helped, of course.
  • cp_lazytown was a favorite, but it's clear that the map needs a timer of some sort. We had a few people singing "This is the map that never ends" over voice comm--and with good reason.
  • cp_wolf received lukewarm reviews. If we're going to drop any maps from our current set of customs, I think it should be cp_wolf. It's a good map; it's just more difficult to navigate than others.
  • We skipped ctf_mach2 during the playtest because we'd already played the map on several previous occasions. ctf_mach2 is a solid map and a good choice for a smaller group of players.
  • People liked ctf_freezers_v2, but it was clear that the map is much more fun with 14 or more players on the server. If Valve updates TF2 to allow for conditions in a map rotation (i.e. only change to this map if there are already 14 or more players on the server), then I think ctf_freezers_v2 would shine. I still think it's a solid addition to the rotation.
I wasn't around for the entire night because I had to do laundry. I missed cp_castle, cp_warpath, and most of cp_wolf.

Liked: Lazytown, Freezers, Turbine
Not liked: Dirtwork, Snofort
On the fence: Castle, Wolf, Warpath
I forgot about ctf_turbine_v3 and ctf_dirtwork_b3. I'd played both of these previously on the FISH (Christian Crew) servers.

I didn't think we played ctf_snofort_final last night. I thought we'd decided to cut that rotation because of file size? (The map weighs in at over 20MB compressed.)

I think ctf_turbine_v3 was one of the highlights last night--at least for me.

I like ctf_dirtwork_b3, but I understand that it's more difficult to navigate and "flatter" than other maps (and thus more frustrating for classes who can't rocket jump, grenade jump, or double jump). The sewer passage is also confusing.

If we had to cut two maps from our set, I'd say cp_wolf and ctf_dirtwork_b3 would be the first on the chopping block.

I don't think there was a single bad map in the set, but some maps were more fun than others (as was expected).

I am runnning out the door to a meeting.

However, I will have some input later on this.

There are still some maps out there that we did not try that are solid.

1. Toy Fort CP
2. Snow Fort (I really like this one)CTF
3. Labor CP

I did feel we had a few issues over voice comm. They seemed to go down when we took all talk off.

I hate castle and dirtwork unless low gravity is on for dirtworks.

I also like the idea of a timer. If after like 20 or 30 minutes the map changes no matter what.

Back