Tek's Writing Challenge: Neirai the Forgiven

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
heh... we'll see if I can keep up to you "real" writers. My English prof has been encouraging me to try my hand at writing a biography of sorts, so I think I'll try give it a shot. I'll also try to work on my story whenever I feel inspired to write anything good for it.

<<Biography>>
<Openstance>

Memory is an interesting thing. It can often be misconstrued, reconstructed incorrectly, or even plain old fantasy. I don't pretend to believe that my memories are accurate or even at times real; I have memories which I undoubtedly got from photographs that my parents kept that I can remember vividly but that I know are false because the photographs were taken before I was born. This is a basic human experience -- the vast majority of our events are mere fabrications of our minds.

The first memory that I have is a picture in my mind. I'm sitting with my mom and brother and sister in the front row or just-behind-front row of a high school auditorium. We're on the right side of the auditorium. In front of me is a stage. My father is up on stage playing his guitar. This was my first remembered church experience. It's kind of apt that my first memory is a picture of a church worship service, surrounded by family. Family, worship, and music in general have always been integral to my life.

What's funny about this memory is that it has always been my first memory. Even when I was a young child, I could never put a finger on an earlier memory. It's like I never existed before that moment. It's like the movie of my life opened with me in the front row of that little church in a high school, listening to old vineyard church choruses. Okay, they weren't old back then, they were cutting-edge songs.

The first memory that I can interact with has had a similar effect on my life. Maybe a healthy one, maybe not.

We lived in a little condominium complex in the north of Edmonton. The condominiums are organized into six little groups of about 18 houses that all point towards an inner courtyard of concrete. Nowadays when I visit it looks almost like a prison to me -- but back in the days of my childhood it was a paradise, an eternal playground full of children, laughter, and big wooden planters.

Off towards the end of the three-hundreds, where my house was, lived a little boy that I only remember seeing once. He was not a particularly healthy young boy; that is why I only remember seeing him once. He was usually sick at home with something that I wasn't old enough to understand, other than that it made his mother really sad and made his father work from home. His was the first home that I ever went over to play at without my parents. I'm very certain that my parents were around -- but I never saw them.

I don't remember anything about the day except that at some point in the day we went down to see his father. His father was happy to see us and showed us his work. It is the first time that I ever remember seeing a video game. I know this isn't true, because his father was working on making a video game that I remember as being "like Mario but for girls." If you are a video-gamer, I know that right about now you are probably chuckling at the idea. I'm not surprised. The memory of that video game screen is the only memory I have of that game. It probably flopped if it was ever completed. The kind of girl that plays video games is not likely to be interested in Mario for girls -- she's likely to be interested in Mario.

Anyhow, that part of the memory is fleeting at best. The part of the memory I remember is the game that he let us play. It was in black and white game on a monitor that could produce color. The game was clunky and eventually crashed during play. And it had the most profound impact on my young life. I never forgot that game. I spent a lot of my young life searching for it -- either in the recesses of my own over-active imagination, or in books, or in other games.

The game consisted of a party of four adventurers that scoured the countryside in search of something that I couldn't understand. Being able to read would have helped. I still remember the images of my party: four identical warriors who my friend, whose name I remember as Adam, said were the best choice to pick.

It would be a long time before I would find that game again. When I eventually did, I learned to call the four cloned warriors Fighters and the game Final Fantasy.

Day 2: Cousin of the Laughing Dogs

Disclaimer: The premise of this short story is controversial and reflects a semi-paranoid theory of mine, but not one that I have researched in any way, shape, or form, nor that I care to research in any way, shape, or form. Any correlation between names or titles of works in this work are purely coincidental and not intended to insult or denigrate any living person.

I used to enjoy my job. It's not a bad job, although if you listened to my wife's younger brother, it is a disgusting job that promotes and endorses sin. I'm a journalist for Lives magazine. To a point I agree with Tom; my job is to dig up celebrities' dirty laundry, copy it down into word form, and then make sure that there is enough of it to give a copy to every man, woman, and child in America.

Sometimes I feel like a vulture, but not often. The last time I felt that way was the two weeks up to and the week after the death of Cecilia Morgenessen's great aunt, of the consequences of secretive drug use and her congenital diabetes. I felt like I had watched the old woman die with a sense of glee and impatience for the story, and that I had betrayed a friend. Of course, I only felt that way about Cecilia because of her wonderful, engaging portrayl of Liesa Runningwater in Last Moon Standing. We all did.

It can be hard to be a journalist for a tabloid. Actors are strange people. Some are much better actors off camera than they are on the silver screen. Sometimes you interview an actor and you know that the information that they gave you is a phoney as their characters' names. You never know who to trust.

Recently, however, I've had a sinking feeling that I'm not like a vulture at all. Maybe a vulture isn't a strong enough word. Vultures wait for their food. Not all animals, or people, can claim the same amount of patience.

It started two days ago when Robert Davins bumped into me at the water cooler. He was, of course, the highly decorated Editor (Foreign Movies) here at Lives. As such, it was rare that he would have cause to shoot the breeze with me. But on his way out of the room he suddenly stopped and turned to me.

"Van Rotterdam -- you're a fine young writer. Good with making the story seem more interesting, more like a story, less like a report."

I stammered. "Wh-- hey, thanks, Mr. Davins."

"Please." he flashed a businesslike grin. "Call me Robert."

We small talked for a while, mostly about the job. It wasn't long before he mentioned the lack of good stories that we'd had in the last week.

"About all we've had to work with has been a few cases of celebrity drunk driving. But with Clive Zharon getting kicked off Renegade: Midnight L.A. for getting caught tanked on Monday, we really can't play that card."

I nodded, sympathetic. "What about controversies?"

"Nobody's come out of the closet for a while, and frankly speaking, if the person who does isn't a noted homophobe, we really can't use it. People are getting sick of the whole issue. I mean, we've had our share of news, but nothing's happened that deserves a front page."

"Yeah." I was silent for a while. "What we need is a real scandal. Like-- a celebrity marriage crisis or something."

Davins smiled thinly. "I wish. But even then, those happen all the time."

I frowned. "It would have to be the right marriage. Like, say, Rick Barnet and Freida McTilley."

Davins' eyebrows raised. "Why them?" Then he caught on: "You mean because of the baby?" McTilley had just given birth to a daughter. The delivery had been very difficult, but both mother and daughter were doing fine.

"Right. Frieda has had to depend on Rick now more than ever. If he were seen to be hanging around with someone else, it would make some people think that he wasn't the supporting husband they thought he was, and others think that he just couldn't take the strain of the difficult birth. Instant sympathy and instant gossip."

"Genius, Will." My first name. I felt a stir of happiness in the back of my mind.

"That's not all, Robert." I was in my element now, I hadn't even noticed that I was trying to sip an empty styrofoam cup. "He needs to be seen with someone else, someone for whom participating in an affair would be a scandal in itself."

Davins chuckled. "Got someone in mind?"

I laughed. "Amelia Cardingham?"

Davins' eyebrows shot up in shock. "Why, you devi-- little Ms. Conservative Values herself? Why her?" A hint of a half-smile seemed to say he knew the answer, but he wanted to hear it.

"Well, for starters, she's a very beautiful woman, and very similar in looks to Frieda when Rick and her were first dating. The 'pre-matrimony' model. Secondly, tomorrow she's releasing The Perfect Housewife, a movie that will only enhance her reputation as a family-friendly actress. Third, she's actually not all that conservative -- it's just her image. Perhaps she might feel it is time for her to shed some of that image. It stopped her from being able to act in Ninja Bankai II, after all, and that movie would have made her an instant celebrity. Oh, and of course, her family-friendly fans would be appalled. Nothing makes a story sell better than sympathy, gossip, and the feeling that the reader's been betrayed."

Davins nodded. Then he caught sight of his watch and cursed. "Sorry to cut this short, but I'm late for a meeting with the big guy. I'll talk to you later."

I was feeling great about my job for the rest of the day, but today I'm not sure. Maybe it's the picture on the front page of Starline that shows Rick Barnet kissing Amelia Cardingham as they wait to see The Perfect Housewife that makes me feel less like a Vulture and more like a Hyena.

Warning: Non-fictional musings ahead, bound by lack of sleep and a fairly morose mood swing!

So, it's the end of another year of college. And, being one of the three soundmen (or rather, soundperson, given as we have two soundmen and a soundwoman) working at the college, I was asked to come to the graduation banquet to make sure people could hear the toasts, speeches, and well-wishes that would be presented there.

You know, as happy as graduations are for the graduates, they really suck for those of us who are not grads.

I know, the now ex-students are happy and relieved and glorying in their accomplishments. But for someone who isn't living in a state of euphoria, graduations really seem to be more sad than happy. Sure, you've done what you set out to do, and you are more likely to get a good job, but the trade-offs seem immense -- a severing of friendships and relationships, an end of an era of growth, and a return to the harsh reality of uncertainty that is life.

Plus, for me, it's a whole whack of people that I've grown to know and love that I won't be seeing again. I mean, I'll still see some of them, but not many.

The part of the ceremony that sticks most in my head was the end. Two of the graduates, Jake Taylor and Ryan Squires, performed a song that they had written specially for the event. It had no name, but I shall call it "Broken, Torn, and Scarred" in honor of the phrase that showed up the most in it. The song talked about how the process of learning and growing can be painful and heartbreaking, but at the same time, how sometimes our hearts must be torn so that God can build a better person from the pieces.

Lines that stuck out to me include "I've learned to love these scars," and "Your hands tore my heart in half/but what's left is built with love."

In the past two months I've felt that my heart has been wounded, scarred, torn, and broken. This night brought some more wounds -- friends and cohorts disappearing into the night, never to be seen again, often with a bright smile on their face as they don't look back to see those left behind. It's not like I resent them; they have earned their triumphs. But at the same time it hurts because I will lose contact with so many of the people who have challenged and influenced me to greater heights than ever before. Yet, as the song says, I too will learn to love the scars that their passing has left.

I've also felt God's hands rip my heart in half in so many ways this past year. He's ripped out the chunk of my heart that refuses to trust him with the future. He's lead me into places that have broken my heart and left me gasping with pain. I've felt the burn of unrequited love and the wounds of realizing that I'm often a fool when it comes to trust and to relationships. No sooner did I start to trust God and to let him lead than I felt his hands tugging and tearing at my heart.

This is not to say that God is my enemy. Far from it; God is rebuilding my heart from the pieces that he has torn it into. For start, I have learned that God will never lead me into a painful place without going in ahead of me. I've learned that I can trust God even when I am in a place of pain. I've got a better idea of what true love is and what truth is. I'm learning to love the scars, to love the tears, and to love the wounds.

Missed a day, but I'm not torn, nor shall I start at square one because cool things were going on and I was starting work.

On that note I'm going to start on an idea that I've been rolling around in my head:

<The Perfect Summer Job>

I looked at the job description that Dave had just handed me, trying to comprehend what I was reading. If that was his real name. I was beginning to doubt.

I couldn't keep it in anymore. "This is some sort of joke, right?" I tapped the sheet of paper with my knuckle. "This isn't serious. It can't be."

'Dave' smiled wearily, as if he expected this kind of response. "Look, Geoff--- I know this seems odd, but I'm actually offering you this job. We need you on board--- the worker shortage is hitting us just like everybody else. We're low on crew and they just don't seem to be coming in for jobs. To be perfectly honest, I'm not to happy with having to offer this to an untrained college student, but if you were more experienced, you'd probably be working somewhere else, somewhere that pays better."

I couldn't keep quiet anymore. "Somewhere that pays better?! You- You're offering me eighty grand a month starting pay for a summer job and you say I'd go somewhere that pays better?" I slapped the page back down onto the table. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Plus benefits."

I blinked at 'Dave.' "Benefits? What do you mean by benefits?"

'Dave' pulled an envelope out from his desk. "Let's see..." he paged through a few sheets and then pulled three out. "Car supply, Medical coverage, Social Anonymity Fund..."

No way. First this job offers a ridiculously high salary, and now it has medical coverage and a company vehicle? Insane. There is no way they would actually be offering that much. It must be a mistake. "A company vehicle? What kind?"

'Dave' shook his head. "Not a company vehicle per se." I knew it! A catch of some sort; maybe they wanted me to supply my own vehicle for their own uses or maybe they wanted me to drive some sort of mascot vehicle.

'Dave' passed me a pamphlet. "You'll have a budget of one vehicle a week. It's cumulative, of course, so you won't need to worry if you need to replace more than one in a single week, but if you go over budget, the cost of the new one will be taken off of your pay."

Aha! The catch. Somewhere along the lines I'd be forced to replace these vehicles, preventing the company from ever having to pay me.

'Dave' frowned a bit to himself and said thoughtfully, "Of course, the chances of that being a problem are fairly slim--- with all the bonuses and bounties that you'll make, any deductions will probably not even effect your salary."

I blinked. "Bonuses?"

'Dave' looked a bit surprised. "Why, of course--- every job comes with a sizeable bonus of some sort, although naturally the company takes a 70-75% cut. Still, it should be enough to stipulate your wages."

<To be continued>

<The Perfect Summer Job>

I looked at the job description that Dave had just handed me, trying to comprehend what I was reading. If that was his real name. I was beginning to doubt.

I couldn't keep it in anymore. "This is some sort of joke, right?" I tapped the sheet of paper with my knuckle. "This isn't serious. It can't be."

'Dave' smiled wearily, as if he expected this kind of response. "Look, Geoff--- I know this seems odd, but I'm actually offering you this job. We need you on board--- the worker shortage is hitting us just like everybody else. We're low on crew and they just don't seem to be coming in for jobs. To be perfectly honest, I'm not to happy with having to offer this to an untrained college student, but if you were more experienced, you'd probably be working somewhere else, somewhere that pays better."

I couldn't keep quiet anymore. "Somewhere that pays better?! You- You're offering me eighty grand a month starting pay for a summer job and you say I'd go somewhere that pays better?" I slapped the page back down onto the table. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Plus benefits."

I blinked at 'Dave.' "Benefits? What do you mean by benefits?"

'Dave' pulled an envelope out from his desk. "Let's see..." he paged through a few sheets and then pulled three out. "Car supply, Medical coverage, Social Anonymity Fund..."

No way. First this job offers a ridiculously high salary, and now it has medical coverage and a company vehicle? Insane. There is no way they would actually be offering that much. It must be a mistake. "A company vehicle? What kind?"

'Dave' shook his head. "Not a company vehicle per se." I knew it! A catch of some sort; maybe they wanted me to supply my own vehicle for their own uses or maybe they wanted me to drive some sort of mascot vehicle.

'Dave' passed me a pamphlet. "You'll have a budget of one vehicle a week. It's cumulative, of course, so you won't need to worry if you need to replace more than one in a single week, but if you go over budget, the cost of the new one will be taken off of your pay."

Aha! The catch. Somewhere along the lines I'd be forced to replace these vehicles, preventing the company from ever having to pay me.

'Dave' frowned a bit to himself and said thoughtfully, "Of course, the chances of that being a problem are fairly slim--- with all the bonuses and bounties that you'll make, any deductions will probably not even effect your salary."

I blinked. "Bonuses?"

'Dave' looked a bit surprised. "Why, of course--- every job comes with a sizeable bonus of some sort, although naturally the company takes a 70-75% cut. Still, it should be enough to stipulate your wages."

I sighed, idlely toying with the pamphlet. This just sounded like a joke; who in their right mind would offer such a high-paying job to a college student on summer break? I thought about telling 'Dave' to stuff it. But then I looked at the pay rates and realized that if I took the job I'd be able to pay off my entire student loan over the course of a single summer. I'd be a fool to let it go.

I opened my eyes. "I'll take it. Yeah, I'll give it a go."

'Dave' smiled. "Excellent. Training starts Monday." He pulled out a bunch of forms and handed them to me. "You'll want to sign these."

I skimmed them as I signed them off and filled a few in. Some of them seemed normal enough: Social Insurance form, Medical, Compensation. Others seemed a bit odd: a waiver for plastic explosives training. One of them really stumped me: "What's this?"

'Dave' glanced at the form in my hands. "Oh, that's the request form for your L.T.K."

"L.T.K.?"

"Your license to kill."

"My what??"

And now, while I wait around for inspiration to pop in for Weavers and for A Perfect Summer Job, here is a fantasy of mine in real life. Yes, I actually have made this pact with someone. Lol.

A clash of tiny chimes. Josh looked up from the counter where he was counting his till. He sighed. It was almost closing time. He hoped that the customer would be quick, or better yet, would be just looking for a can.

Josh blinked. He hadn't seen the tall young man since 2003, when they had worked together. Josh grinned broadly as he straightened up. "John, man, how's it going? I haven't seen you in ages, man!"

John grinned. On seeing Josh, his shoulders relaxed as if a large weight had left them. "Hey-- I'm doing good. Really good, actually."

John stuck his arm down on the counter and leaned over to Josh. In a voice pitched for secrecy he confided the news that would change Josh's life forever: "I've got the money. We can start the game."

Josh looked at him in confusion for a number of seconds, then he remembered. The pact. Then he remembered what that meant. "How did you ever come up with the money?"

"Well, at first it was just hard work, then I started playing the stock market, then I started investing my wealth in profittable organizations. Eventually I ended up bailing out some failing companies that I knew would turn out to be winners if they just had better financial strategians controlling the books." John stretched a bit. "And of course you heard the news today about Drycor."

"Oh man-- that's a huge amount of cash being thrown around... half a billion dollars for Drycor, Inc. It's craziness." Josh even had an incredulous look on his face as he recalled the news story. "Yeah, they're calling it the biggest buyout in world history."

John smiled slyly. "You do know that my share of that deal was sixty percent, right?" He paused to let his words sink in. As soon as his friend showed signs of recovery, he continued: "And that's the fifth such deal that I've signed off and benefitted from in the last two years."

Josh frowned. "Wait a minute, dude. Your name isn't even attached to Drycor. And if you really signed all these deals, wouldn't you be fabulously wealthy?"

John chuckled. "I am, trust me, I am. But the game comes first. It would look really odd if the game started right after I amassed a huge fortune. People might catch on. I'm not giving you such an easy handicap."

Josh stared. "So we're actually going to do this?"

"Yes. You know the rules. Sometime this month, you have to 'die.' I'm going to 'die' right away. Then you've got five years to establish your 'empire' and to set up the clues to lead to you. The first person to get an agent into the same room as the other person and to put a yellow sticky note on their back with the words 'check mate' wins."

Josh licked his lips. "What about the money?"

John grinned. "You'll find that you're already 1.2 billion dollars richer."

Josh's tongue froze mid-lick, then disappeared back into his mouth. "So the game begins in five years, eh? Well, man, let's do this. The world will be a more interesting place, that's for sure."

John stood up. "Yes, that's for sure." He held up a bottle of coke. "To the world, and to the game. May they both make each other more interesting."

Josh nodded.

A clash of tiny chimes. Josh looked down at the counter where he had been counting his till. He sighed. It was almost closing time, but now he didn't really see the point of finishing the job. He looked out the window at his friend's retreating back. Just in time to see his friend hit by a speeding semi. John's body was thrown by the impact and landed in a sickening heap.

Josh went back to his counting. The game really had begun. The game! He felt excited and sick at the same time.

Two in one day! Yup. Warning: the following is not fiction and is intended to be inflammatory in some ways. It's also intended to make you think about the way Christian culture treats the sacred and the secular.

Crazy,
but that's how it goes
Millions of people
living as foes
Maybe
it's not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Life's a bitter shame
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

I've listened to preachers
I've listened to fools
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned
to rule and control
The media sells it
and you have the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeh-h

Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles
I'm mentally numb
Crazy,
I just cannot bear
I'm living with something
that just isnt fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and whats to blame

---Ozzy Osbourne, Crazy Train

If you're like us, calling all riders,
Roll up beside us, no place to hide us,
All freedom fighters, let's unite us,
Switch on your nitrous, .and..let's..go

Destination, for navigation,
Man up ya stations, feel the sensation,
Surround invasion, with communication,
Move quick, we might, avoid contamination

Down, here comes the sound,
Everyone pound, your feet, to this phenomenon,
Now, let's make it loud,
Let's show 'em all how, you move to this phenomenon
Roll! Open you soul, maybe lose control,
inside of this phenomenon,
Just, let yourself go,
and let everyone know,
you move to this phenomenon

Don't let these spiders, crawl up beside us,
They want to bite us, and inject the virus
Raise up your lighters, praise to the righteous,
We need you to guide us,
get..prepared..to..go
If you're like us, calling all riders,
All freedom fighters, let's unite us,
Switch on your nitrous, ..and..let's..go

Can't take it anymore,
Shake until we move the floor,
What are we waiting for?
Let's go!
I'm tired of bein' ordinary,
Don't care if there's people staring,
I'll rely on Your strength to carry me on
I'm not invisible like you,
next time things get a little messed up,
I'll shine, but I'll never be see through,
I'm fine, just tryin' to wake the rest up

---Thousand Foot Krutch, Phenomena

Why is it that those who have set themselves up as opponents of the Truth have more to say about truth than top-rated Christian bands?

Why is it that Ozzy Osbourne is writing a song about going against the societal tendancies of racism and hatred, while Thousand Foot Krutch is writing a song about, about... about... umm... hmm. Good question. Someone fill me in here?

Finally, why are Christians condemning Ozzy's Crazy Train as being bad, evil, or even Satanic music, and choosing instead to listen to music that had nothing to say? Where is the evil in Crazy Train?

Yes, I do realize that Ozzy is not a role model. But he's got something good to say in Crazy Train. Something that Christians can, and possibly should, rally around.

I appreciate the reminder about how good 'Crazy Train' is - I cued it up a couple of nights ago in a small Karaoke party and man can I NOT sing that high! :p But I do agree with what you say. Think of this though - Crazy Train deserves to be a classic because of the quality of the lyrics and music, the relevance of the lyrics, and especially how they work perfectly together. Lots of other Ozzy songs are lying in the rubbish heap of music history (and for good reason) but they were undeservedly popular when they were new, just because they were Ozzy. Same is true for CCM - not-so-great songs can have amazing popularity and radio play-time just because they're the latest thing by a popular CCM artist. It might not seem fair, but over time the cream does mostly rise to the top, and the dregs do mostly get sifted out.

Hey, wanted to mention too how very impressed I am with your writing Nerai - I'm looking forward to seeing more as you're able to post.

Paul

I need to budget my time and energy better, by the looks of things.

...I'm almost ready to put out another chapter of my "weavers" story.

Something I thought of today while stepping over an insect on a sidewalk. This may be a bit weird/disturbing for some of you. My apologies, this is not intended to be sick and twisted. In fact, it is intended to interact with "how could a good God create a world that includes pain?"

Why they call them Dragonflies.

Dragons only mate every two millenia or so. It's not that Dragons don't form long-lasting committed relationships that span centuries and even eons, which cause us mere mortals to call Dragons "his mate" or "her mate." Rather, it's that Dragons rarely ever mate. You know, have intercourse and all that. It's more accurate to say that Dragons have an aversion to mating.

Oh, don't give me that! I know just as well as you do that Dragons have that sort of appetites -- in fact, I would even go so far as to say that they are extraordinarily virile creatures. Ever since they reach puberty at about fifteen to sixteen centuries of growth, Dragons are practically driven towards reproduction. And for a very good reason: if it were not for the fact that Dragons' eggs tend to produce more than one -- normally two but sometimes even three -- Dragonspawn, the Dragon race would die out completely. Add to that an aversion towards intercourse, and one can easily see why the mighty beasts have not completely covered the earth with their kin.

You see, Dragons are sentient beings, with intellects on par with (and sometimes surpassing) our own. It has taken us a long time to figure this out, due to the fact that Dragonnal culture is vastly unlike our own. But, as foreign as their concept of love may seem to us, it does in fact exist. Marriage may never enter the mind of a Dragon, since the concept is either foreign to them, or a silly thing that we mortals do to amuse ourselves whilst waiting to be eaten, depending on how sheltered they are. But romance -- after a fashion -- is in fact a staple part of their societies.

Thus, Dragons may form a tangible bond of love between each other. As with humans, the Dragons involved may feel a real sense of loss and sorrow if such a bond were severed. It is for this reason that Dragons almost never mate, and then usually only after many heated discussions or out of sheer necessity. Understanding why requires some close observations into the Dragon's mode of repopulation.

The first thing to understand is that, once sexually mature, a female Dragon is almost always carrying an egg. A mature female Dragon can carry an unfertilized egg within itself for a period of about seven millennia before it become sterile, in which case it will be replaced within a year. The only reason a mature female Dragon will not carry an egg is because she has just given birth, in which case she will, again, replace the egg within a year. Unlike the females of our species, a female Dragon will always become fertilized if she engages in reproductive behaviors. This means that any mating will unequivocally result in offspring.

The other thing that must be kept in mind is the magical nature of Dragons. All Dragons belong to a brood or Dragonflight which is imbued with certain mystical powers; these powers include large wings, brilliant scales that make up armor, elemental adaptation, and tremendous powers of the will and mind which can sometimes surpass that of a human being. These powers are not native to Dragonkind, but are imposed by the ingestion of a special fluid by the female Dragon during pregnancy. This fluid is found at the base of each alpha male's limbic system. Without the ingestion of this fluid, the Dragons' offspring will be simplistic crocodillians without wings or mystical powers. These creatures are known as "Drakonids," and giving birth to them is considered shameful in Dragonnal society.

As I said before, Dragons tend to choose not to mate. Perhaps this is because raising a family takes a lot of sacrifice. Often, the males in the relationship will push the females towards starting a family. This is seen as the male's prerogative, because the mainstay of the sacrifice is placed on them. For, after an evening of intercourse, the female must bite the head off of her lover.

Last edited:
Back