Tech Help Needed

Switcheroo

We're having problems with the DVD writer on the church office PC (built by me). I think it goes back to a Nero install several weeks ago, but I'm not sure.

First the WMP and Itunes refused to properly rip audio CDs. Data CDs were ok at this time. Then the drive began only to recognize discs intermittently. I made a registry change to get the drive back, then I uninstalled Nero. Drive worked fine for data CDs again, but but not audio. Reinstalled Itunes, since it seems Itunes 10 has a bug for this very problem. Still didn't work. The secretary emailed me today to tell me that Explorer no longer sees the drive.

I'm at a loss - not sure if this is hardware or software related (and I don't have time to pursue both). The drive is a LiteOn SATA drive with Lightscribe athat's only 18-24 months old, and has been fine until this point. I think the Nero (free with the drive, not sure which version) install started this, but the obvious fix (uninstall) didn't help.

I'm going in tomorrow morning to try and fix this. My current plan of action is this: Uninstall Itunes and WMP, un-or reinstall the drive (with another Sata cable if we have one), and reinstall the media software. If this fails, I have an older IDE drive that I may be able to use (if the MB supports IDE), until I can figure this out (i.e., have more time).

My plea for help is this: Does my plan sound reasonable? Am I missing something obvious that is an easy fix (e.g., an XP bug)? I have to get them running so the work can get done (we're a small church and this is the main office PC, plus we have an event Tuesday nite).

Thanks in advance.

When CD drive problems crop up, I usually start troubleshooting with a can of air and a cleaner disc.

Thanks for the replies. It probably does need to be cleaned. I deleted the upper filter (didn't find the lower). Strange thing was that I did this a few weeks ago. Still has some issues (itunes wants drivers, WMP rip is way too slow, etc), but I got the drive back. The rest will have to wait until Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for your help!

Back