Sunday, September 26, 2010 - Hebrews 10:26-31

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
For if we deliberately sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment, and the fury of a fire about to consume the adversaries. If anyone disregards Moses' law, he dies without mercy, based on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think one will deserve who has trampled on the Son of God, regarded as profane the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know the One who has said, Vengeance belongs to Me, I will repay, and again, The Lord will judge His people. It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God!
Hebrews 10:26-31, HCSB

This passage from Hebrews is rather uncomfortable, but perhaps all the more necessary in a culture that tends to approach "spirituality" and "religion" for what they can take from it to add to daily life rather than as a source of absolute truth.

It states the truth plainly: We have no excuse for habitual sin. It's important to note the author isn't talking about all sin, but rather those sins we commit without repentance.

The verse doesn't call these habitual sins "foibles" or "mistakes" or "quirks" or any of the many euphemisms Christians tend to use to play down their faults. Paul states the truth, uncomfortable as it is, clearly and without escape. We are called to face Scripture head on and this passage is no exception.

I used Hebrews 10:38 in today's message - it was "rather uncomfortable" as well. Thanks for this passage.

Back