Steam's Holiday Sale!

Aye, I know the game includes some scary and even disturbing content, but I figure I'm only out $5 if I decide to stop playing it.

Certainly we all have to be mindful of the content we put before our eyes but that's not the only concern. After all we aren't spending our money we are spending God's and we have to be mindful of the types of things we support with our money. I mean just because we can tolerate something in a game doesn't mean we should be funding it. Of course I am sure you know that Tek I just didn't want people to get the idea that I was only concerned about being given the willies :p (I've never been scared in games except by surprise). I almost bought Bioshock myself so it's probably not that bad I just want to give kudos to Keero for his information :) (kudos to Keero it sounds funky :p) .

Last edited:
And for the record, the gameplay is good and the story is well thought out, but I just didn't agree with all of the mature content. And yes, I almost screamed like a girl. Many times. :p

Certainly we all have to be mindful of the content we put before our eyes
Aye, of course. That's why I passed on purchasing No More Heroes for the Wii after Elihu rented NMH and shared his thoughts on the game. It's also why I decided not to purchase Doom 3.

After all we aren't spending our money we are spending God's and we have to be mindful of the types of things we support with our money. I mean just because we can tolerate something in a game doesn't mean we should be funding it.
Aye, agreed, though I think the mature content in BioShock is vastly different from that found in Grand Theft Auto.

Think of BioShock like the Pan's Labyrinth (Metacritic score: 98) of games. Staying with the analogy, Grand Theft Auto titles, which glorifies crime, violence, and misogyny is more like the movie Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (Metacritic score: 11).

I would recommend Pan's Labyrinth to older viewers who are prepared for violent and disturbing imagery, making sure they understand the nature of the film. I would not recommend Pan's Labyrinth to younger viewers under any circumstances.

I wouldn't recommend Grand Theft Auto titles to anyone.

EDIT: Maybe comparing Grand Theft Auto titles to Biodome (Metacritic score: 1) would be a better analogy.

Last edited:
Aye, agreed, though I think the mature content in BioShock is vastly different from that found in Grand Theft Auto.

I never bought BioShock because the theme is utterly unappealing. When playing the demo you pop shots of chemicals every few minutes. You are pretty much giving some of the worst drug offenders a run for their money. Plus I am not a huge fan of horror games.

mature content in BioShock is vastly different from that found in Grand Theft Auto.

QFT. I would not even consider getting GTA while I almost got Bioshock myself (I like the art style and the story sounds decent). My objections to Bioshock are a bit harder to place. See the thing about the horror genre is while being scared is not immoral at the far end of the spectrum are things that ultimately glorify evil. It's like the nightmare on Elm street movies. Freddy isn't the antagonist in the films he's really the protagonist he always comes back, his power and his personality are what many people come back to the movie for. Bioshock is far, far, removed from Freddy, you aren't evil (well there is the little sister choice thing) nor do you have satanic ties. It's just when a game makes me uncomfortable enough to think about these things I've got doubt. So when in doubt I pass. I'm not holding your purchase against you, like I said I almost got the game myself. I was probably much, much, more tempted to get Fallout 3 (and still am XD) which looks like a wonderful game... but they all cuss like sailors, you can sell people into inferred sex slavery and you can almost take a shower in gore among other things :/. Also they already have plans to make a Bioshock 2 and 3 (and movie :rolleyes:) and I'm not looking to get involved with "sequels".

I'm am still thinking about getting L4D hmm.

Last edited:
Okay, I just got HL2: EP2 and L4D.

Interestingly, no tax.

I hope there are decapitations in-game. :D

Unfortunately, with this wireless adapter, downloading looks like will take over a day. :(

BAH! 150KB/s! :mad:

Last edited:

Interestingly, no tax.

I hope there are decapitations in-game. :D

Unfortunately, with this wireless adapter, downloading looks like will take over a day. :(

BAH! 150KB/s! :mad:

No decapitations sorry :/... the heads just explode o_O :p The game has some seriously good co-op but it's not worth much solo IMO.

QFT. I would not even consider getting GTA while I almost got Bioshock myself (I like the art style and the story sounds decent). My objections to Bioshock are a bit harder to place.
I played through the first 30 minutes of the night and have decided to shelf BioShock--not because of content that will make the average player uncomfortable (as an aspiring writer, I'm of the opinion that most audiences need to be made uncomfortable to inspire a positive change), but because battles run like a slideshow on my notebook. Even on low graphics settings, I don't get full frames per second.

I'll likely take 10-15 minutes today to research ways to improve my framerate, but if I'm not able to get at least 20 FPS during battles, I'll shelf the game and come back to it after I build my next desktop gaming rig.

Coming back to the topic of the Steam holiday sale, I was very, very excited to check my e-mail yesterday morning and find that I'd received the Dawn of War Everything Pack from a mysterious "Mr. X." (I have a guess as to Mr. X's identity, but I'll keep quiet on that account.) I've installed the main game and all its expansions and plan to start the DoW single-player campaign later today.

Corpfox: Add me to your Steam Friends list if you haven't already. My Steam ID is [toj.cc]Tek7 and you can view my Steam ID page here.

I'll try to get you in contact with other L4D players. I usually see 7-9 people on my Steam Friends list playing L4D in the evenings.

I am usually up for L4D though I don't play late at night unless it's the weekend.

I'll likely take 10-15 minutes today to research ways to improve my framerate, but if I'm not able to get at least 20 FPS during battles, I'll shelf the game and come back to it after I build my next desktop gaming rig.
Well, I updated my video card drivers, did some research on tweaking BioShock, tried a few tweaks (there weren't may to try), and didn't see much of a performance boost.

With that, I deleted BioShock from my computer. I plan to return to the game after I build my next gaming rig (which will likely be in 2010 or 2011).

Wow! L4D Multi-player is INSANE!

I tried SP, its ok. MP is much better, especially in Versus Mode.

Though, I haven't gotten used to the pounce and melee attacks.

Going through the map is confusing too.
I have to follow my teammates since I just started. :p

And apparently, I'm having connection issues with the game itself. :(

Back