Starcraft 2?!?!?!

As much as I'd love to see Starcraft 2 announced, I have three concerns:
  1. The source for this so-called "news" isn't named. Anonymous sources are usually unreliable sources. (There are, of course, exceptions. "Deep Throat" and Watergate comes to mind.)
  2. Even if Blizzard does announce Starcraft 2 is in development, it will likely be four to six years until we see the game hit the shelves.
  3. Even when (not "if;" they'd be fools not to cash in on the most anticipated strategy game ever) Blizzard does begin development on Starcraft 2, most of the employees who developed Starcraft have already left to work for other companies. It would be more or less a whole new team developing SC2.
Again, I'll jump for joy when Blizzard announces Starcraft 2, but I recognize that it will be several years before it hits shelves and, even then, there's no way it could possibly live up to the hopes and dreams of strategy gamers worldwide.
  1. Yes, but we can always hope...
  2. Not necessarily. IIRC, WC3 was already well into development, for about a year or so, when it was finally announced. I don't remember how long it took for development, but I'm pretty sure it was less than 4-6 years, and even less time after development.
  3. True, but that's somewhat true of most of Blizzard's games. It hasn't really stopped them from producing quality thus far.
My one and only concern is: Can Brood War really be topped? I'm afraid to even try answering that question.

...My one and only concern is: Can Brood War really be topped? I'm afraid to even try answering that question.

IMHO Brood war wasn't as good as the original - I still play the original in multiplayer occasionally, but not BW. I guess I never liked to balance adustments the new units brought (probably just spent too long playing the original ) :eek: .

IMHO Brood war wasn't as good as the original - I still play the original in multiplayer occasionally, but not BW. I guess I never liked to balance adustments the new units brought (probably just spent too long playing the original ) :eek: .

Original was not balanced. BW balanced it near-perfectly, especially when it came to air units.

Original was not balanced. BW balanced it near-perfectly, especially when it came to air units.
Balance is a subjective thing in most cases. I would argue that the original was balanced , well at least it was after a few patches fixed some issues. Out of interest, what did you think was unbalanced in the original?

Balance is a subjective thing in most cases. I would argue that the original was balanced , well at least it was after a few patches fixed some issues. Out of interest, what did you think was unbalanced in the original?
It doesn't have the paper-rock-scissors element that BW has, ie. one strategy being countered by another strategy, which is countered by another strategy, and so on. Individually, the units are relatively close to balanced, but things like Toss air-to-air is severly lacking. BW fixes most of this.

It doesn't have the paper-rock-scissors element that BW has, ie. one strategy being countered by another strategy, which is countered by another strategy, and so on. Individually, the units are relatively close to balanced, but things like Toss air-to-air is severly lacking. BW fixes most of this.

Well, now-a-days, people use mass units, balancing isn't an option. What can beat mass Hydralisks? Mass marines with stim packs?

Protoss are lacking is because it clearly states; they are strong but slow.

I'd pick a Marine over a Dragoon.

Well, now-a-days, people use mass units, balancing isn't an option. What can beat mass Hydralisks? Mass marines with stim packs?

Protoss are lacking is because it clearly states; they are strong but slow.

I'd pick a Marine over a Dragoon.
Have you watched Korean videos? You'd be surprised.

As for what beats mass hydras, I'd go with marines and medics (M&M's) plus Sci Vessels with Irradiate. Hyrdas don't really stand a chance against that.

Toss have it a bit harder, but a good zerg army can be beat with Templars, archons and dark archons (maelstrom) with Lots and Goons for support.

Back