Something to Ponder -- Mac OS

tjguitarz

Why doesn't Apple release their OS for stand-alone sale (so I could put it on my non-mac computer)? I know they make a big chunk of change from the computers they sell, but now that Apple/Mac is a household name (thanks to the iPod), it seems like they would make a killer off wide distribution of the OS.

Just a thought, because I'm sick of windows and too incompetent for Linux...

...what's wrong with Windows? And there are Linux distros that are extremely easy to use - and - and -

I've hated Macs ever since the first one we owned crashed completely.

Mac OS X is a completely different operating system from Mac OS 9 or any previous version, because it is based on BSD.

At this point, Mac OS is for people who either don't know very much about computers and want to learn one way of doing each task that is fairly easy to remember and always works. The downside is, it is a pretty inflexible operating system unless you are very familiar with the Unix underbelly.

Linux is like Mac OS without the shiny custom windowing system or commercial support, but it's also free.

They don't release the Mac OS on other computers because they can make people pay extra for the Mac hardware to get at their excellent OS. Also, it makes their tech support a LOT easier when they control both the hardware and software variables.

And, for the record, there are a LOT of things wrong with Windows.

Mac OS X is a completely different operating system from Mac OS 9 or any previous version, because it is based on BSD.

At this point, Mac OS is for people who either don't know very much about computers and want to learn one way of doing each task that is fairly easy to remember and always works. The downside is, it is a pretty inflexible operating system unless you are very familiar with the Unix underbelly.

Linux is like Mac OS without the shiny custom windowing system or commercial support, but it's also free.

They don't release the Mac OS on other computers because they can make people pay extra for the Mac hardware to get at their excellent OS. Also, it makes their tech support a LOT easier when they control both the hardware and software variables.

And, for the record, there are a LOT of things wrong with Windows.
Linux ahs 3d desktop abilities like macos and the new vista.

ahh but if you update a linux machine via yum or pat or whatever ALL applications are updated all at once instead of patchwork like winders and sometimes mac..<G>

ahh but if you update a linux machine via yum or pat or whatever ALL applications are updated all at once instead of patchwork like winders and sometimes mac..<G>

It's true - I there's nothing like a good package manager to integrate tonnes of open-source programs. Still, the argument still stands of Mac OSX being neatly integrated (although restricted) in both hardware and software domains.

I love using Ubuntu, the only thing that does bug me is the amount of "hacking around" involved to get any Windows games running :(.

Sadly, Windows looks like being the only serious gaming platform for the forseeable future (that's what I use it for [and because the software I use for my university project is Win32 only])

It's true - I there's nothing like a good package manager to integrate tonnes of open-source programs. Still, the argument still stands of Mac OSX being neatly integrated (although restricted) in both hardware and software domains.

I love using Ubuntu, the only thing that does bug me is the amount of "hacking around" involved to get any Windows games running :(.

Sadly, Windows looks like being the only serious gaming platform for the forseeable future (that's what I use it for [and because the software I use for my university project is Win32 only])
on my linux machines i don't even try to get windows anything running. Linux isn't windows..and isn't meant to run windows. I don't do enough gaming where that's a huge issue..also my main box is windows right now but my laptop and all of my servers are linux only. Integration? MOdern distros do that. Jsut because it doesn't say apple on everything doesn't mean it's not stiched together. in pclinuxos click an mp3 and kaffeine launches. web browsing is done via konqueror or firefox(your choice). Mal by evolution or thunderbird(your choice).

Thge key is your choice and also the fact that things just work..:)

Integration? MOdern distros do that. Jsut because it doesn't say apple on everything doesn't mean it's not stiched together
I didn't say that Linux distros are NOT integrated, just that OSX software IS. Apple have control/influence over a lot of software that runs on OSX and all of the hardware, so this is possible.

Linux distros have many core apps that are nicely integrated, as you say, but whenever I am setting up a Linux box for my needs things inevitably come down to fiddling about with config files and scripts (ATi fglrx, anyone?). This, I guess, is a necessity from having an OS that can run on a whole spectrum of machines, rather than being tied to a handful of specific PCs.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Linux offers me in terms of freedom and flexibility and undoubtedly, the integration and ease of use has increased dramatically in the past few years. My point is simply that OSX generally provides a better experience for a novice user, who wants things to "just work" (and work at their full capacity).

EDIT: can't believe I am arguing the pros of an Apple OS :confused:

I didn't say that Linux distros are NOT integrated, just that OSX software IS. Apple have control/influence over a lot of software that runs on OSX and all of the hardware, so this is possible.

Linux distros have many core apps that are nicely integrated, as you say, but whenever I am setting up a Linux box for my needs things inevitably come down to fiddling about with config files and scripts (ATi fglrx, anyone?). This, I guess, is a necessity from having an OS that can run on a whole spectrum of machines, rather than being tied to a handful of specific PCs.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Linux offers me in terms of freedom and flexibility and undoubtedly, the integration and ease of use has increased dramatically in the past few years. My point is simply that OSX generally provides a better experience for a novice user, who wants things to "just work" (and work at their full capacity).

EDIT: can't believe I am arguing the pros of an Apple OS :confused:
the issue with nvidia and ati is that they have not allowed via legal means to have their drivers open source. They are both too scared to allow their drivers to be open sourced because they don't want to give away their "trade secrets". That's not Linux's fault..blame the hardware folks. PCLinuxos makes it pretty easy to install the ati/nvidia drivers. Ati's drivers are nowhere near as complete as the nvidia drivers(again blame ati). Every machine i have installed a linux distro on i don't mess with config files. If the distro doesn't work i try another one. The best way is to look at your hardware and research which distro is best. Although ubuntu and pclinuxos are the two frontrunners in my experience.

If you're looking for a desktop Linux OS, OpenSuse or Mandriva come to mind as having excellent overall hardware support and being fairly easy to install and run.
I actually like OSX because, as a computer technician, the near-indestructible BSD UNIX core leaves me to fix hardware problems. I like Windows because it gets broken so often I make my real money off it. I like Linux because it never quits (unless I, as root, break it), and even though it's not yet a gaming OS, all my IMPORTANT work gets done there.
Dual boot is a good thing.

If you're looking for a desktop Linux OS, OpenSuse or Mandriva come to mind as having excellent overall hardware support and being fairly easy to install and run.
I actually like OSX because, as a computer technician, the near-indestructible BSD UNIX core leaves me to fix hardware problems. I like Windows because it gets broken so often I make my real money off it. I like Linux because it never quits (unless I, as root, break it), and even though it's not yet a gaming OS, all my IMPORTANT work gets done there.
Dual boot is a good thing.
with opensuse signing the patent agreement in violation of hte gpl i shy form them. Mandriva is nice too.

Look, you could get a Mac computer, but the high-and-mighty fanboys never tell you how expensive all their computers are. notebooks start at 1-1.5 thousand bucks and that frightened me enough not to look at their iTV (which has only a scroll wheel, for whatever reason) or their... whatever they call the desktop computers.

EDIT: I just checked--the desktops (iMac) start at $999 and their laptops (iBook) start at $1090. So all the high-quality whatnot is gonna cost you.

Look, you could get a Mac computer, but the high-and-mighty fanboys never tell you how expensive all their computers are. notebooks start at 1-1.5 thousand bucks and that frightened me enough not to look at their iTV (which has only a scroll wheel, for whatever reason) or their... whatever they call the desktop computers.

EDIT: I just checked--the desktops (iMac) start at $999 and their laptops (iBook) start at $1090. So all the high-quality whatnot is gonna cost you.
buy a windows machine with the proper hardware setup for your os. Then add in office, anti virus, anti spyware and any other applications you want to use(if you don't want to have to use free software). Then factor in your time for systems management for security and patching of all of the applications. The costs even out very well. With the apple products you get a fully working multimedia system OUT of the BOX..no need for addons.

MacOS and Linux automatically update themselves AND the installed applications. Windows doesn't.

Int he end it's down to a matter of choice. from a technical and usability standpoint it's anything but windows. From a familiarity and installed base viewpoint it's windows..:)

buy a windows machine with the proper hardware setup for your os. Then add in office, anti virus, anti spyware and any other applications you want to use(if you don't want to have to use free software). Then factor in your time for systems management for security and patching of all of the applications. The costs even out very well. With the apple products you get a fully working multimedia system OUT of the BOX..no need for addons.

MacOS and Linux automatically update themselves AND the installed applications. Windows doesn't.

Int he end it's down to a matter of choice. from a technical and usability standpoint it's anything but windows. From a familiarity and installed base viewpoint it's windows..:)

SpyBot and AdAware are free and extremely useful, as is ZoneAlarm (a good firewall)

I hardly spend any time patching or anything, which is something Linux and Mac OS fans have always berated me about but never came up with a particular set time that it all took up. I spend less than an hour a month doing all that. Maybe I'm just lucky :)

EDIT: That "less than an hour a month" seems a bit much, actually. Once a week I check for updates and in a few minutes it's all set.

Back