Some thoughts about the guild

Update to the original post: the guild name will officially be "Called from Darkness". This has been put down here on the forums, on the website, and for the pre-launch guild. I removed that part from the original post.

Last edited:
Most things won't be decided until we get significantly closer to release, since there is always a chance that we will be forced to change our ideas later on.

I c wut u did thar.

My and my broski (pteskittles from WoW) may try this out

I went back and added/changed a couple things in the OP, since it was a bit outdated. Most importantly, I changed the server type and guild structure sections to as they appear below.

Server type: We will be playing on a PvP server located in the US West (Pacific) time zone unless I get a strong reason to change that. We already have an adversary (Lions of Judah) who have set up their guild that way, so if we wanted to change that then either they would have to change it as well or we would no longer be able to be on the same server as them.

Guild structure: Assuming we get a fairly large number of members, I intend to eventually have more than one guild leader. I will be the only one for the time being, but I have no desire to maintain that situation if the guild gets big. The process for determining that will probably be fairly democratic, but I won't nail that down until we actually need to worry about it. The guild will obviously have officers at some point regardless of membership totals. My plan would be for officers to be chosen by the guild leadership. As of now, we have one officer - Sklurb, our web designer.

I went back and added/changed a couple things in the OP, since it was a bit outdated. Most importantly, I changed the server type and guild structure sections to as they appear below.

Instead of having more than one guild leaders, isn't that the point of having officers? Kind of like the way Redeemed has there's set up? Guild Leader, Officers, Class Leaders, Guild Banker.....etc? We could also make more or less positions depending on the situation guild. And yes, we could vote for positions on monthly, quarterly, yearly basis? just my thoughts or unless you already thought of this? :eek:

Instead of having more than one guild leaders, isn't that the point of having officers? Kind of like the way Redeemed has there's set up? Guild Leader, Officers, Class Leaders, Guild Banker.....etc? We could also make more or less positions depending on the situation guild. And yes, we could vote for positions on monthly, quarterly, yearly basis? just my thoughts or unless you already thought of this? :eek:

Redeemed still has multiple guild leaders, though. The idea is that you have more than one person with equal level of authority that way. I have been tossing back and forth the idea of terms for the guild leader position, but haven't really worried about it much, since we won't really have to worry about that sort of thing until well after launch. If I had to pick right now, I'd probably either have no term lengths or long term lengths for guild leaders. The guild leader spot would essentially stay in the same hands until either that person decided to step down or until a vote was called for an election. That way the leader would be able to kind of determine for himself when he needed to step back instead of feeling like he had to wait for his term to end. But like I said, that's one that I haven't really tried that hard to figure out, so I'd love to hear thoughts about it.

As I said in the other post, my intention would be that officers be appointed by guild leaders - at least initially. I think it could be a good idea to have a system in place to call for addition/removal of an officer via a voting process, but my overall concept of the officers is that they act sort of like the President's cabinet - a group of people appointed to spread the work around as necessary.

Redeemed still has multiple guild leaders, though. The idea is that you have more than one person with equal level of authority that way. I have been tossing back and forth the idea of terms for the guild leader position, but haven't really worried about it much, since we won't really have to worry about that sort of thing until well after launch. If I had to pick right now, I'd probably either have no term lengths or long term lengths for guild leaders. The guild leader spot would essentially stay in the same hands until either that person decided to step down or until a vote was called for an election. That way the leader would be able to kind of determine for himself when he needed to step back instead of feeling like he had to wait for his term to end. But like I said, that's one that I haven't really tried that hard to figure out, so I'd love to hear thoughts about it.

As I said in the other post, my intention would be that officers be appointed by guild leaders - at least initially. I think it could be a good idea to have a system in place to call for addition/removal of an officer via a voting process, but my overall concept of the officers is that they act sort of like the President's cabinet - a group of people appointed to spread the work around as necessary.

It would be nice to have most of the officers set up for the guild so that we could start out a bit more organized. Maybe we could hold a forum vote for people who are interested. Since we have 42 members now, it would seem that having at least 3 more officers would help you out in leading the guild well.

It would be nice to have most of the officers set up for the guild so that we could start out a bit more organized. Maybe we could hold a forum vote for people who are interested. Since we have 42 members now, it would seem that having at least 3 more officers would help you out in leading the guild well.

I'm thinking that before too long I'll start asking about who is interested in being an officer. Until the game gets close to release there really isn't that much work to worry about, so it'll be a few weeks before I'll actually add any.

SWTOR already preordered for a while now, looking forward to early play, and if I'm lucky Beta...

Just found this tread and your posts.

Up until last week I had decided to let SWTOR go by without playing it. However the beta test has proved me wrong. The game is fun.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the way the game told your story, and the deep feeling of your making choices.

Its due to this and perhaps because I have been a roleplayer in the past, I want to know how a person who roleplays from time to time would be viewed or even treated within the guild it seems like alot who have posted here are very ANTI-RP.... like almost some of the posts scare me from even thinking I could try to type messages like what my character would say.

I only ask because I fall into the category of someone who would occasionally say something that is very in character, especially since it is Star Wars and the story line really gripped me.

Personally, I don't mind RP, as long as it's G/PG-rated. LOTRO kinda killed it for me. My poor Hobbit ears! Was kinda fun replying to an RPer's e-mail in EVE Online, though.

Anyways, I'm curious as to why we're rolling on a PVP server. Now, I enjoy rolling with a crew and going Old Testament on peeps as much as the next guy (it's why I loved WAR), but what kind gankage will there be? Should I expect to be ganked by someone twice my level in starter zones?

I still rem that time we crashed the RPers in the dive bar in CO. That guy would only walk away from us, not run...LOL

Personally, I don't mind RP, as long as it's G/PG-rated. LOTRO kinda killed it for me. My poor Hobbit ears! Was kinda fun replying to an RPer's e-mail in EVE Online, though.

Anyways, I'm curious as to why we're rolling on a PVP server. Now, I enjoy rolling with a crew and going Old Testament on peeps as much as the next guy (it's why I loved WAR), but what kind gankage will there be? Should I expect to be ganked by someone twice my level in starter zones?

I think the typical response that its more intense and fun knowing the enemy is out there vs seeing a Jedi and all you can do is a rude gesture.

I would want a PVE server instead of a PVP one. I play the game to have fun, if I'm getting ganked that's not fun.
I'm the type of Sith that doesn't attack peoples unless they get in my way.

Also, lol that was good times in CO. xP

I would want a PVE server instead of a PVP one. I play the game to have fun, if I'm getting ganked that's not fun.
I'm the type of Sith that doesn't attack peoples unless they get in my way.

Also, lol that was good times in CO. xP

Getting gank attempted and winning is fun and a RUSH! Does it outweigh the ganks tho? Depends how harsh the penalty is. If all the run backs are short its not bad, but if I lose 4 mins of travel time, I might get frustrated.

Also depends how good the guards are and how many there are.

I don't think the ganking will be that bad in this game. When you die you have two options, you can either have a medical probe revive you where you died or you can go back to a med center. If you have the probe revive you then you get 12 seconds of stealth to get health back and all that. If someone is camping your corpse that probably doesn't help much, but if you want to choose the other option and go back to the med center then you wouldn't be in the same place anymore. I suppose it might be possible for someone to camp your corpse at a med center, but those are often in places with guards and such. In addition, you won't run into anyone from the opposite faction on the first two planets at the least, and I didn't see anywhere that I could obviously run into a Republic player until level 26-28 or so. I think the ganking shouldn't be that bad in this game.

As for RPing, I don't have a problem with people doing it sometimes, but it isn't my thing. I love the player storylines and all that, but I don't really care to make up more stuff to add to it. If you want to talk in character from time to time you are free to do so without getting made fun of or anything, but you probably won't be able to expect anyone else to really respond in kind.

As for RPing, I don't have a problem with people doing it sometimes, but it isn't my thing. I love the player storylines and all that, but I don't really care to make up more stuff to add to it. If you want to talk in character from time to time you are free to do so without getting made fun of or anything, but you probably won't be able to expect anyone else to really respond in kind.

Valid point. Humm... Welp guess I will have to be ok with that or move to pvprp server....Ill think about it.

I have been thinking about pvp servers, since we have a republic guild and a sith guild we can have the best of both worlds. A sith guild on pvp and republic on pve/rp. Any opinions?

Back