So you celebrate Easter...

Dark Virtue

...and you celebrate Christmas. Two holidays steeped in pagan origins and traditions.

Suprise, I'm not going to ask why you celebrate those holidays.

Instead, I am wondering why the majority of Christians don't celebrate the TRUE Holy Days set forth in the Bible.

I'm talking about the following:

Passover
Feast of Unleavened Bread
Pentecost
Feast of Trumpets
Day of Atonement
Feast of Tabernacles
The Last Great Day

Now I say majority because I know there are Christians that DO honor God by remembering these days he set forth.

I know, I know, there's that whole New Covenant thing that is used to explain away the need to observe these days. But shouldn't Christians still observe them, even though they aren't ordered by God to do so? They have great religious and historic meaning, yet many Christians don't even know what they represent. Instead, most Christians are happy playing with plastic eggs and wrapping presents.

Christ didn't command anyone to observe his resurrection or his birth. He did, however, set an example by observing God's Holy Days. As Christians, who by the very definition seek to follow Christ's examples, why don't you observe these Holy Days?

Some scriptures to keep in mind:

"These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:8, 9)

"His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast" (Luke 2:41, 42). This included the entire festival, which involved the Days of Unleavened Bread (Luke 2:43; Leviticus 23:5-8).

"Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem" (John 2:13

"After these things Jesus walked in Galilee; for He did not want to walk in Judea, because the Jews sought to kill Him. Now the Jews' Feast of Tabernacles was at hand" (John 7:1, 2). (In spite of the threat of bodily harm, Jesus the Christ still attended this feast (verse 10), and also explained the true spiritual significance of the Last Great Day (verses 37, 38))

"[Teach] them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19, 20)

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome." (1 John 5:2, 3)

Many theologians today believe Paul removed the obligation to observe these days. Yet, Paul made his personal practice plain: "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1). The New Testament shows that Paul kept the Holy Days.

I could go on and on...

So...do you observe God's Holy Days? I'm interested to hear why or why not.

Thank you.

Dark Virtue Christ didn't command anyone to observe his resurrection or his birth. He did said:
With that quote right there, You have summed up my problems with many Christian denominations.... Christ commanded us to follow Him and His example. Not to argue over doctorine(spelling?)

Sorry, going off topic. To answer your question, I have and still do try and observe the Holy Days. However, I only observe them after I understand them and what they mean. (Maybe I'll post where the various feasts and Holy days came from.... At school now, so do not have the time...)

My Parents brought me up observing them. However, when I was younger, they would explain to me every year why we were celebrating.....

Christ never commanded us to observe His birth or Death.. Christians do celebrate them by giving gifts because they want to remember the sacrifice. It is done in rememberance... We give gifts in rememberance of the Greatest Gift... Jesus coming to earth and His death on the Cross....

I observe some of those, I don't even know what the others are.

You of all people should know why we celebrate the resurrection. If it wasn't for the resurrection, Jesus' life here on earth would be in vain and the whole Christian following would be no more.

Even still, if I didn't celebrate ANY of these days, it would not stop me from getting into heaven.

DarthDapor said:
Well actually DV these are Jewish holidays, and I just happen to be a gentile.:D

Read your Bible, you will find examples of Gentiles observing these days.

Besides, we're talking about following Christ's example, remember?

Goose62 said:
I observe some of those, I don't even know what the others are.

You of all people should know why we celebrate the resurrection. If it wasn't for the resurrection, Jesus' life here on earth would be in vain and the whole Christian following would be no more.

Even still, if I didn't celebrate ANY of these days, it would not stop me from getting into heaven.

You set up a nice little strawman, then beat him down, all while avoiding the point.

Would you mind explaining which days you observe and which you don't? As a Christian, why aren't you familiar with God's Holy Days?

This isn't about what will get you into heaven and what won't, it's simply about observing/recognizing Holy festivals that God set forth. NOT the ones man set forth, but those instituted by GOD.

I knew this was going to be a "GOTCHA" thread. Just to satisfy your need to prove that most "so-called Christians" don't observe the Holy days you mentioned: I only celebrate, and know of, Passover and Pentecost.

But as I mentioned above, observing these or not, in light of eternity, who will go to heaven; someone with a genuine relationship with Christ and DOESN'T observer these days, or someone that observes these days just for the bragging rights?

Well I just had to post something here, I was about to burst. First off, how about a timeline for the crucifixion.

The Chronology of Christ's Crucifixion and Resurrection

Tuesday: Jesus Christ ate an early-evening Passover meal with His disciples (at the beginning of Nisan 14, Jewish reckoning) and instituted the New Covenant symbols (Matthew 26:26-28). Jesus was then betrayed by Judas, arrested and during the night brought before the high priest.

Wednesday: Jesus was crucified and died around 3 p.m. (Matthew 27:46-50). This was the preparation day for the annual, not weekly, Sabbath, which began that evening (Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:31). Jesus' body was placed in the tomb at twilight (Matthew 27:57-60).

Thursday: This was the high-day Sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread (John 19:31; Leviticus 23:4-7). It is described as the day after the Day of Preparation (Matthew 27:62).

Friday: The high-day Sabbath now past, the women bought and prepared spices for anointing Jesus' body before resting on the weekly Sabbath day, which began at sunset (Mark 16:1; Luke 23:56).

Saturday: The women rested on the weekly Sabbath, according to the Fourth Commandment (Luke 23:56; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus rose around sunset, exactly three days and three nights (72 hours) after burial, fulfilling the sign of Jonah and authenticating Jesus' Messiahship.

Sunday: The women brought the prepared spices early in the morning while it was still dark (Luke 24:1; John 20:1). Jesus had already risen (Matthew 28:1-6; Mark 16:2-6; Luke 24:2-3; John 20:1). He did not rise on Sunday morning, but at sunset the day before.
This can be found all over the place, but I took it from this website.
www.GNMagazine.org

So we see that Jesus perfectly fits as our Passover lamb. And He was in the ground for 3 days and nights, not just a day and a half. So why should you observe Passover instead of Easter, or any God ordained Holy day for that matter?

Leviticus 23:1 And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying,
Leviticus 23:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which, ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.
God just told us these are His feasts.

Mat 26:17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
Mat 26:18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
Mat 26:19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.
So we also see here that Jesus observed the feasts appointed by God. Passover is being observed here.

Are we to be followers of Christ and do everything He did?
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
So the answer to that is a resounding YES!

And why dont people follow Christ and all His observances?
Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoreth me with their lips, but their heart is far, from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
People following the traditions of the past. God doesn't honor traditions, he honors His Holy days. So why keep following old pagan traditions? Now is the time to change!
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I wil spew thee out of my mouth.
Do you want to be the lukewarm church who gets spewed out because you were stuck on your traditions?
Goose62
But as I mentioned above, observing these or not, in light of eternity, who will go to heaven; someone with a genuine relationship with Christ and DOESN'T observer these days, or someone that observes these days just for the bragging rights?
Observing these feasts does not get you into heaven, only a relationsip with Christ will do that. However someone who does have a close personal relationship with Christ will observe these feasts out of obedience to Christ for telling us to observe them. By not observing them we are missing out on so many blessings and the story behind the story that goes with them. When you learn about them you will find out why things were done the way they were in the Bible. All the symbolism that is wrapped up in it is just amazing so many things can be explained, it just has to be experienced to believe it. You will have answers to questions that you didnt know you had. Its not about bragging rights, its about obedience.

Goose62 said:
I knew this was going to be a "GOTCHA" thread. Just to satisfy your need to prove that most "so-called Christians" don't observe the Holy days you mentioned: I only celebrate, and know of, Passover and Pentecost.

How is this a "gotcha" thread?

I'm trying to figure out why Christians don't celebrate obvious Christian holy days. Do you really NEED to be required to, under penalty of everlasting torment?

Its real easy if you don't relize that its one of those days!
Dark Virtue said:
most Christians are happy playing with plastic eggs and wrapping presents.
So your saying that the Grinch really did steal christmas?

DarthDapor said:
Its real easy if you don't relize that its one of those days!

Is that another way of saying you can't explain it?

All I'm asking is that you clarify the difference between celebrate and observe. You're the one claiming the difference, so you're the one that needs to elaborate.

I am confused because the definition of celebrate is, "to observe a holiday, perform a religious ceremony, or take part in a festival"

To me, they're synonymous.

I am also asking how you celebrate/observe God's holy days, and which ones you celebrate/observe.

Where in the New Testament does it command us to keep the feasts? Where did Jesus give this ordinance?

Lets get one thing straight right off the bat. Keeping the Feasts according to the Torah does in fact require offering animal sacrifices. It is impossible to avoid this conclusion. Any changes to the festivals made by rabbis to accommodate the fact that there is no longer a Temple or Levitical priesthood, or, any changes by Messianic Christians to accommodate the fact that the New Testament says Christ's sacrifice has ended the animal sacrifices, makes it impossible to observe these feasts according to the Torah.

What's left is a lot of man-made tradition as a substitute to what God commanded.

Happy Easter...He Lives!

Watcher said:
Where in the New Testament does it command us to keep the feasts? Where did Jesus give this ordinance?

Lets get one thing straight right off the bat. Keeping the Feasts according to the Torah does in fact require offering animal sacrifices. It is impossible to avoid this conclusion. Any changes to the festivals made by rabbis to accommodate the fact that there is no longer a Temple or Levitical priesthood, or, any changes by Messianic Christians to accommodate the fact that the New Testament says Christ's sacrifice has ended the animal sacrifices, makes it impossible to observe these feasts according to the Torah.

What's left is a lot of man-made tradition as a substitute to what God commanded.

Happy Easter...He Lives!

Did you read any of my post? I thought I had laid most of that out pretty clearly.

Here is Jesus observing the Passover with His disciples:
Matthew 26:17-19; Mark 14:12-16; Luke 2:41-42, 22:1, 7-20; John 2:13, 23; 6:4; 13-1-30; 1 Corinthians 11:23-29

Observing the Feast of Unleavened Bread:
Matthew 26:17; Mark 14:12; Luke 2:41-42, 22:1, 7; Acts 20:6, 1Corinthians 5:6-8
Notice some of the above scriptures overlap with the previous, thats because Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread happen one after the other.

Feast of Pentecost:
Acts 2:1-21; 20:16; 1 Corinthians 16:8

Feast of Trumpets:
Matthew 24:30-31; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Revelation 11:15
Although the Feast of Trumpets is not mentioned by name in the New Testament, the theme of the day-sounding of trumpets announcing Jesus Christ's Return-is mentioned by several New Testament authors as noted in the references.

Day of Atonement:
Acts 27:9

Feast of Tabernacles:
John 7:1-2, 8, 10, 14; Acts 18:21

Last Great Day:
John 7:37-38

So its easy to see that even after Jesus had ascended, the disciples made sure to be in Jerusalem when the feasts were taking place. Why make a big deal to go out of there way to be in Jerusalem during these times if they werent there for the Feasts? As far as offering sacrifices, Jesus was and is our sacrifice that we offer to God as atonement for our sins. Observing the feasts is a matter of obedience, and it can be very blessing to see how much symbolism is wrapped up in them. God is amazing, he pays great attention to even the minutest details. Having attended a Passover Seter last week, was quite amazing. It makes me wonder with all the symbolism that is involved how the Jews still fail to see Jesus as there Passover sacrifice. As far as being able to observe the Feast according to Torah, you need to attend a Messianic Congregation during the feasts to see just how its done, its a wonderful thing to be a part of.
If you want to talk about man-made traditions, lets talk about Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday, Lent, Good Friday, Halloween, Thanksgiving....its a long list.
Why do we still refer to Jesus' ressurection as Easter? I would like somebody to explain that to me. Do your research, its easy to find I can assure you. If after you do the research and still want to call it Easter, well then I cant help you. Labeling the ULTIMATE sacrifice of our Most High God after some vile pagan sex goddess is downright appalling. Why not Happy Ressurection, or better yet, Happy Accepted Passover Sacrifice! So i guess what Im saying is, dont bash Messianic Christians. The ones who need a wakeup call are those who just got done with the easter egg hunt.

Watcher said:

Happy Easter...He Lives!

You must have missed the part where I said this has nothing to do with obeying a command set forth. This is about following Christ's example. Didn't Christ observe the Holy Days? Shouldn't you, as a Christian, follow his example?

I don't remember Christ or God ordering his followers to observe the pagan inspired Easter or Christmas. Did I miss those verses? I don't remember Christ ordering his followers to celebrate his resurrection or his birthday. I DO however, remember God commanding his followers to observe the Holy Days.

Zech 14 "16 Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD Almighty, and to " and to what? To, "celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles." Hmm, looks like God intends his festivals to be kept even after the return of Christ.

Lev 23 " 31 This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live."

A LASTING ordinance, FOREVER, WHEREVER you live.

Back