So.... are there any artists here?

ChickenSoup

Banned
Yes, Lazarus, I'm bored. Oh, and for the record, photoshopping doesn't count and being a graphic designer (MaidMirawyn, that means you :p) can count, I guess, but that's only because there's a bunch of people on here that do. I want everyone to feel like they're included :p

I used to sketch, I was all right I guess and now I'm pretty bad at it because now I think in larger terms of shades and colors that a pencil can't capture. I do miss the exactness of detail one can achieve with pencils, but really it takes too long to do stuff when I could just complete broad strokes with a brush it just inconveniences me. Lol. I now paint in oils, I think I posted my picture before, so yeah. I had, in the past, taken a picture of this barn 20 minutes from where I live and painted it and it's kinda funny because one of the people on my soccer team this year lives there.

"Hey, I pained your barn! Well, I painted a picture of it. Umm.... so, how about that food? Ever had it? Good stuff, food."

Back when I was a DBZ fan, I used to draw the characters. At first I just copied, but then it got to the point where I could freely draw them and they actually looked pretty good!

As for being an artist, I'm an author and a guitarist!

I used to be an artist too. I made a perfect picture of Sonic the Hedgehog which was copied from a small manual of the game. Unfortuately, I should of kept it. That was my best drawing! I also like to draw weapons, mainly guns, I do a decent job at it.

However, I am exceptionally good drawing with pylons in the Use Map Setting game from Starcraft; Drawing Contest. Best I've made with pylons is a M-16 assault rifle and Chain Chomp from Super Mario 64. :cool:

And believe me, drawing with Protoss Pylons is very difficult.

In a way, whatever picture I can look at, I can duplicate it on paper or on the mini-map of Starcraft.

...Sqweak

The Gerbil is a artist or at least I call myself that. I rarely finish artwork though because I eventually can't stand looking at it and start something new :( . I paint with a wacom (digital pen) and Photoshop 7. I do use Photoshop's blending modes, blur effect, etc. but all artwork is 100% original, no photos, so I don't think I am a "photoshoper". Oh and Kraniac I'm a Bob Ross watcher too :) although I prefer techniques like Jerry Yarnell's. Bob's technique is great, but, seems somewhat limited (Bob himself was a great guy too!). I don't paint with real paint though just in Photoshop. There are tons of other digital painters out there. I'm not going to post any links here though as many sites have artistic nudity and sometimes people stretch the definition of that to far. In the future I was planning on posting some of my artwork here, but, I am not ready to just yet. I'm also looking into getting into blender to create 3d models for games, but, that's in the future too.

I want to make a video game one day so I've dabbled in C++, Music creation, digital painting. Sadly I usually get everything set up...and never do anything -_- Out of all of it I do paint a decent bit though :)

Sqweak...Scribble...Sqweak

How's that Wacom pad? I've been wanting to get one for a long time.

I've got the Wacom intuos 2 it rockth much :D . I can honestly say of all my stuff if my house burned down it's one of the few physical items I would miss. Sadly though they came out with the intuos 3 just after I got mine and it supposedly has rotation support which would be useful. The intuos 2 only reads the angle of the pen, location and pressure of it, not the rotation. With the intuos 2 (don't know about the intuos 3) the 9 x 12 model and bigger sizes come with a different mouse. I've got the 9 x12 and I think it's the perfect size for me, a bigger one would be to cumbersome, although, one could get by with a smaller one I think. The Wacom mouse I never actually use though. I've never tried other brand digital pens, but, I did a lot of looking around to see what people use and the Wacom is definitely the most popular. I've used mine enough that the spot where I lay my hand on it is starting to discolor, but, It's always worked perfect and I've had it for years. I was also told when I bought it that it had a lifetime guarantee from Wacom, but, I've never actually tested it. You will need to buy extra nibs for it (the plastic part at the end of the pen) as they wear down. One dollar per is overpriced, but, I don't go though that many. Anyway all in all I really, really like my wacom, painting and coloring in Photoshop is a great experience with one and in painter X (different program) it's supposed to be even better!

So you know if you are rich (I'm not I saved for a year for the Wacom alone) a lot of times you can get bundled deals with Wacoms http://apps.corel.com/promotions/wacom_px/index.html?itrkid=ppup . Of course I'd shop around, this is just a quick google because I knew Corel has done this in the past. You may already know it, but, I've sent you a PM with the link to the premier site for digital artists. I am not going to post it here because I am uncertain where it falls in forum regulations regarding objectable content and there is really no reason to post it. I drool over the skills those people have with Photoshop/Painter + Wacom :p

Last edited:
I'm not going to post any links here though as many sites have artistic nudity and sometimes people stretch the definition of that to far.

yeah I use a site to market my paintings and a lot of paintings are, erm, not for children, to put it lightly >_> <_<

I actually posted the link in a topic but found out about the nudes and had to delete the whole post :eek:

My opinion on what is art

Does coding count as artwork? I also do audio and video editing/mixing whenever I get the chance.

My personal definition of what is "art" is anything that is created with the purpose of evoking emotion in mind (not just an idea). The emotion conveyed could be anything from love/hate, to "this is cool", to a simply aesthetically pleasing form. The medium or which of the 5 senses used doesn't matter either. Basically I can't create a piece of artwork without thinking how a person will react emotionally to it. I guess it's conceivable that coding could do that, but, I don't think many people create code with that in mind. Audio/video editing/mixing could be an art, but, like Photoshoping other peoples art it's hard to say where the author's art and the editor's art start/stop.

Of course the definition of what makes good or bad art is even more subjective. What I consider to be bad art is...

:( Things that are clearly conceived with "shock" value in mind I do not consider good art. The cross in urine that got press a while back would be bad art. I'd feel the same if it was a Buddha in urine. I consider erotic artwork bad art too for the same reason, it's a cheap way of getting noticed by using controversy or base human desires.

:( I consider art that has a meaning so esoteric that no one can understand it to be bad art. The object of art is to convey emotion when it doesn't do it well it's bad art. That doesn't mean art should not provoke thought only that a understanding of it should be attainable by observing it alone.

:( Art that is done without a decent amount of effort or thought in it's creation is bad art. Drawing a 3 second stickman would be bad art.

But art can be...

Art does not have to be pleasant to look at to be good art, like some holocaust artwork. The emotion conveyed does not have to be positive.

There is a thing as artistic nudity, but, what exactly is and isn't is sometimes hard to say (although there are people who clearly create some under the guise of being artistic when it's not). The artwork of William Bouguereau is probably the best I have ever seen, but, he painted a lot of nudes (in addition to a lot of Christian themed artwork). The fact is I think the artwork is so good I could not look at it in a lewd way if I tried (neither do I believe it was created with erotic intent), but, I'd have to watch myself on other artwork. It comes down to the intents of the artist and viewer, but, then all sin does. Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Last edited:
Gerbil, that is one of the best descriptions of art I've read. I might not agree with whether or not you could look at a nude painting as long as you don't lust (if you're to do all to the glory of God, I don't see how, exactly, it's going to be very constructive ;) ), I like how you explained what bad art was, per se.

I SLAY ALL OF YOU DIAL UPZ!!!

filmnoir3hi7.jpg

I had, in the past, taken a picture of this barn 20 minutes from where I live and painted it
Hehe, when I did paintings I saw this painting of a barn somebody did on a TV commercial and I replicated it sort of... It was pretty good except the bunny i put on there which stood straight up on two legs and had pricked up ears... Come on, I was only 6 or so >.>

William Bouguereau the best oil painter I have ever seen

Gerbil, that is one of the best descriptions of art I've read. I might not agree with whether or not you could look at a nude painting as long as you don't lust (if you're to do all to the glory of God, I don't see how, exactly, it's going to be very constructive ;) ), I like how you explained what bad art was, per se.

Thanks!

So you know though I don't go deliberately looking for nudity and then make the excuse it's "art" (not that I don't sin and fail on looking at other things though). Neither do I think an artist's skill alone makes the art moral, I just don't think all nude art is immoral. I guess it's up to the context of the painting. Though I can't help but be moved by the William Bouguereau's incredible skill... no God given skill. The first time I saw his stuff I was drooling over the composition, values, color, and a couple minutes later I go "oh she's nude" :p , but, another person may have different thoughts over the same picture. Once again I certainly do have to avoid looking at some things and there are others no one should look at. A figure can be fully clothed and still be inappropriate too if it is erotic. I think it compares to when the Bible talks about eating the food offered to idols.

Also from a technical perspective understanding the underlining figure as a nude does help when drawing clothed figures. Example, Umm :eek: the female breast goes to a umm point which indicates which way it is facing (they angle out on most women) of course there is really no need for them to be explicitly provocative. You only need to understand it's there and effects the shape of the clothed figure. To do that though you kind of have to study something that shows you that. I've got many "how to draw etc." books the best being from Burne Hogarth and Jack Hamm. Both drew um those in somewhat and I am assuming that's why.

Fun Fact: Jack Hamm was a Christian too, he gave a lot of his Christian artwork to be freely used in the promotion of the Gospel :) I googled looking for the site that had his work, but, found a better one that covers lots of Christian Comic artists :) Check it out http://www.christiancomicsinternational.org/pioneers1.html#Anchor-JACK-48213 it appears perfectly safe.

Anyway enough about nudity (how does the Gerbil get on to these subjects T_T :p ). Here is the non-nude William Bouguereau's "The Flagellation of Christ" it always moves me seeing it. In the interest of not "slaying" dial up'ers I will not upload the high resolution image. Oh and the image is the property of the respective owners blah, blah, etc. etc. (of course he died 100 years ago). I'm going to take it down later because it's on my fathers web site so if it does not show that's why.

The_Flagellation_of_Christ.jpg

Fitting of the word "Masterpiece"

Last edited:
Okay, so, does book arts, artists trading cards, weaving, ceramics, and calligraphy count? And printmaking, and occasionally drawing?

Back