"Second Skin": Documentry on MMORPGS

Shagz

Hot Docs is just wrapping up here in Toronto 'n I wanted to let you guys/girls know about a great film I saw earlier this week in the fest called "Second Skin". (trailer)

It's a great documentary about MMOs, both the good and the bad, and the various issues surrounding a phenomenon where people spend so much of their waking life and energy on. It's a pretty fair piece, it shows some of the good that has come out of MMOs, but it's hard to justify the behaviour of some of those who are addicted to games like Everquest 2 and WoW.

Production values are really good, and there are some really interesting stories and issues raised in the movie. Good stuff!

Not sure if it has a distributor yet, so watch for it at a festival near you.

Not sure if it has a distributor yet, so watch for it at a festival near you.
I live in the Midwest. I don't think we have independent film festivals. :(

Is there a site with a list of showings?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the Screenings page on the film's web site. b00, only coming to Toronto and Boston.

As a gamer with a tendency to get addicted to games (but who narrowly dodged the MMO addiction bullet) and as someone who has always been fascinated by the subject of identity (see Oedipus), I imagine I'd really enjoy this film.

Last edited:
One of the quotes in the trailer reminded me of a terrific article I read on the TIME magazine web site: Confessions of a 30-Year-Old Gamer

I even wrote a short journal entry in reply to the article, though I haven't published it.

The trailer also reminded me on Welcome to the NHK, an anime whose main character is a hikikomori.

Where in the midwest are you?

The film will be coming to Origins gaming con in Columbus, June 27th-29th.

Additionally we're working on GenCon Indy.

A number of the films main subjects (myself included) are midwesterners (Hoosiers) so we'll likely be at both screenings.

Where in the midwest are you?
I'm currently visiting Tulsa, OK, but I'll be visiting St. Louis, MO and Springfield, MO soon.

A number of the films main subjects (myself included) are midwesterners (Hoosiers) so we'll likely be at both screenings.
Eh? Does that mean you're in the film?

I'm one of the Ft Wayne boys. In the trailer you see myself and my (then pregnant) wife. Our circle of friends is one of the three central story lines of the doc.

Oh really? Crazy...

So, have you seen the film? What was your reaction to it?

Hope you don't mind a personal question, but have your gaming habits changed since seeing the film and your baby being born? (feel free to ignore that one if it's too personal)

I'd love to see this full documentary...from the trailer it looks awesome. Exposing both the good and the bad needs to be brought to light, as often the bad seems to be highlighted. Unfortunately I won't be in Columbus at that time...I'd like to, but It'd be between driving down there...and uh...well driving down there with gas prices...

Back