Scammed at the AH, Blizz won't help.

ewoksrule

Man I messed up last night. I love the AH and I hate it some times. I was buying low and selling high this past week to store up a little cash towards my mount fund, when 1 bad move erased all my work.

I went to buy a stack of mageweave cloth...I was scanning the prices and saw one for 45s so I bid on it and went looking for something else when I noticed that all of the sudden I had no cash left!!! I went back through the bids and found out I bid 45gold!! on a stack of mageweave :( /cry

I petitioned a GM and sent the seller an email asking to cancel the auction due to my error. Blizz wrote back that they were sorry but could not reverse auction bids. I have yet to hear from the seller. Late last night the auction finished and I won my mageweave....blah

Anyways, I am pretty upset. That was almost all my cash on this server. I am posting this mainly to warn people that anyone can make these mistakes so be careful in the AH. I have spent countless hours in the AH and still made a newbie mistake. So be comforted if you fell for one of these bogus high priced bids as well.

Its very easy to put 45 in the g slot instead of the s spot......I hope it was an honest mistake on the sellers part and he agrees to help you.....I know I've made that mistake putting up stuff myself.

ewoksrule said:
[...] I was buying low and selling high this past week to store up a little cash towards my mount fund, when 1 bad move erased all my work. [...]
Paladins mounts are free, by the way. But 45g IS a lot of money to lose, i dont care who you are. If you are making money by playing Stock Exchange, I can think of a better way to do it. Mining and Herbalism. Mining Iron will get you big bucks and some of the lower herbs, like Blindweed and Fadeleaf sell for a pretty penny also. Playing Stock Exchange can make you money, but theres no guarantee.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me! free mount! yay that is comforting.

Yeah I have mining and am just starting to make money as I have hit iron phase.
I was considering herbs as well, right now I have enchanting solely to DE stuff and sell the mats.

Stock Exchange is really fun for me, but I agree that it is not guaranteed. Plus it takes lots of time running "10 minute a pop" Auctioneer scans.

heh...personally, i find mining rather inefficient for cash...
I earned my first epic mount (the sheep that everyone makes fun of!! >.<) by farming leather in stv. That seemed to rake up the coins quite a bit faster.

(Some will recall that during that time I OWNED THE THICK AND HEAVY LEATHER INDUSTRY. 70% of all thick and heavy leather sold on the AH at the time was mine.)

I've told this story before, but once I put up a single shadow silk for ~50s starting bid and by accident i made the buyout 90g instead of 90s. When I realized my mistake I had already posted it and figured that it would either expire or someone would make a low bid. Much to my surprise I came back a while later to find 90g sitting in my mailbox, someone had actually bought it. Even more to my surprise to buyer never asked about having any of his money back, though if he had I imagine I would have at least given most of it back. Even though I've never interacted with him outside of that one auction he earned a permanent spot on my freinds list for that.

You have to be very careful when buying stuff like that...cause blizz won't do a thing. Most scammers put up stuff for the regular 30s or something and sneak in a 30g to one of the stacks. People who buy in bulks keep hitting accept and sometimes fall for it.

It was alot worse about a year ago before they fixed how prices are presented in the AH. It used to be that if there was a 0 in a monetary column, it didn't show at all, like this:

40s 30c
40s 30c
40g 30c
40s 30c

Now it show 0's for place holders like this:

0g 40s 30c
0g 40s 30c
40g 0s 30c
0g 40s 30c

So that its easier to spot the 40g item admist the 40s items. And then they added invoices so you could see who you bought the item from and who bought your items so you could more easily resolve such issues.

It still all comes down to, buyer beware. Welcome to the open market game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

And I wasn't laughing to be mean or anything, more that I've accidently put stuff up for hundreds of times its value and I'm jealous. lol

heh yeah its cool, I don't mind amusing you with my blunders ;-)
I now have 20 mageweave bandages that cost me about 2.1 gold each to use... I better be bleeding real bad to use em.

ewoksrule said:
heh yeah its cool, I don't mind amusing you with my blunders ;-)
I now have 20 mageweave bandages that cost me about 2.1 gold each to use... I better be bleeding real bad to use em.

haha

Sad to hear that, I've sometimes seen the opposite things happen where someone puts up something worth 50g for 50s ..

Back