Rogue Assistance please

Reason

For anyone who doesn't know, I rolled a rogue recently on Terenas named Unreasonable. As I have never played the class for an extended period of time, I need some assistance if anyone wouldn't mind lending a hand.

I'm up to lvl 14 and so far I'm 3/3 Imp Gouge and 2/2 Imp SS. I'm needing help with a build that might suit what I'm looking for. I love the fact that rogues can stealth so two things that I do want are Master of Deception and Camouflage. I do think I'm going to go with duel daggers however the fact of duel swords have crossed my mind. I'm not sure if I want Imp Sap or not but I'm leaning more towards the "not" side of it.

Any advice on the class would be helpful. I do know that my stats on my armor/weapons need to be +agi and +sta so I'm not completely lost. lol.

I found a lock picking guid on WoW.com so I'm good with that. However, would I need to use the Easy Lock, or whatever it is called, from our Mods Pack?

I'll maybe update this later on other questions just incase I find some other things or have questions.

Take care all and have a great day,

Chris

I believe the LP mod is only used for the LP'ing of someone elses locked boxes when they trade with you. If I am right it is worth it I think.

As far as not going with an imp sap build, or instance type build, I would suggest the build that Rueage uses. He uses a combat build that he likes.

For stats AGILITY, AGILITY, stamina and a little strength never hurts. Never sacrifice agility though. Agility = crit chance.

Weapon choice is all by preferance really. I am training swords, maces and daggers. They all have advantages and I have noticed there are some nice choices for each as you go through the levels. My preferace in weapons is speed then dps. Quicker I can hit you the more dmg overall I can do to you. Since I ambush alot I use a dagger in main and mace in the off atm. Out of stealth I reverse the order. Right now my dagger is 1.4 and my mace is 2.3 in speed. The sacrifices some speed for dmg, but it is a fairly quick mace at the level i am at. There was not an equal or better sword at L40 so mace it was.

Last edited:
What are advantages of going say Duel Swords over Duel Daggers and vice versa?

Also, I never ever see anyone using Duel Wield Specialization or Dagger Specialization. Why is that? I thought something like this for a Duel Dagger Rogue would be rather well. Maybe I'm wrong, which I probably am since I'm new to the class. lol. http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?whxb0xZGci00eZV0x0h

My build is great for pvp'ing, if you are solo'ing/leveling, I would suggest sticking with swords. Easy Lock mod is used for opening people's lockboxes, it is very handy as it will show you what level is needed to open a particular box and it adds a button to the standard two on the trade window for ease of opening.

Duel Swords vs Duel Daggers..... Interesting question. I would say dmg over time. Daggers or generally quicker so you can build up more dmg over time. Swords are generally slower but have a higher dps. You can do some major dmg with your finishing moves using a sword, but it will take you longer to get your points up since it is slower.

Looking at your build, if you go that route you will probably want to move one point into blade furry, maybe from dagger spec.

There are rogues that do both dual & dagger spec, I am one of them.

I am not a PvP'er so I focus more on just doing as much damage as I can. My build is the combat dagger build (10S/25C/16A) The build focuses on very high white damage and crits and still allows for high damage backstabs.

For PvP'ing the 21/8/21 is alot more flexable, gives you alot of options.

Combat swords is also nice, it does not do as much damage as combat daggers in raid conditions but it does more damage in one on one fights with mobs. When the mob is either attacking you or moving around alot combat swords rock.

It is important that you use the highest damage dagger in your mainhand... even if it is lower in dps if you are going to be doing backstabs & ambushes. See below for example
Eg: (Static 700AP)
Widowmaker> 42-78 (31dps) 1.9spd
BS> 503/1157 on crit
AB> 779/1558 on crit

Julies>33-66 (36dps) 1.3spd
BS> 481/1108 on crit
AB> 743/1486 on crit

Anyhow just my two cents... have fun.

Here is my build. I am just level 39, so don't think I know this is best. I just like the damage I think this build will do.

Thanks for the kind words so far everyone. I do appreciate it.

Another question that I have is about a rogues poisons. Since rogues like to use this feature on their blades, are the Vile Poisons, Imp Instant Poison, and/or the Imp Deadly Poison talents anything worth looking into?

I once had 5pts in improved instant and it just rocked I was very happy with it, the only down to it is that most bosses in raids are immune to your poisons. Doh!

That build is interesting, 50 energy for ghostly strike seems like alot to me and you lose lethality (+30% dam on crit for SS which you have already boosted the base damage by 6%) which kind of hurts. Also you miss out on a possible extra combo point and energy gain after using finishing moves. It is one of those things to play with, for me the energy is huge... it is really what holds a rogue damage in check(from being insane)... the more you can generate the better.

The points spent in the combat tree are perfect though, if going swords those are the best ones to have. The other items I mention only compliment your combat build even more... I really really like RIP, it is awesome and for only 10 energy.

Later

I enjoyed having imp sap while leveling. Lots of humanoids are in groups of two or more. Imp sap, ambush (high crit chance plus extra combo point in the subtlty tree), sinister strike, evis. Fight is over and now you have a sapped mob standing there just asking for a backstab.

I preferred daggers while soloing. With all the CC abilities you have (blind, cheap shot, kidney shot, gouge) it is easy to get backstabs off. Also, ambush tends to take 25% of the health of mobs your level. It is NICE. Also, with fast daggers and slice and dice you can really lay down some poisons.

Etoh's spec is in my signature, but it's really for instances.

After everyone's kind words for helping me out, this is the build that I decided on. Please post your thoughts and opinions. I decided on a A17/C33 build. Obviously, the link below would be for a lvl 59 Unreasonable as I have 1 point left over that I'm not sure on where to put it at. :)
http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?fhe0oxZGeV00Ez0co

Let me know what ya think. I'll be going for a dagger build.

Last edited:
What did you want to do with this build? Imp gouge would be good for soloing, but not so great in instances or with a group. Also, if you are PvPing, isn't Master of Deception pretty much required? Adam would know. I'm not sure.

example42 said:
What did you want to do with this build? Imp gouge would be good for soloing, but not so great in instances or with a group. Also, if you are PvPing, isn't Master of Deception pretty much required? Adam would know. I'm not sure.

My goal is actually to make an end game rogue. I have ALWAYS wanted to Bloodfang set and that is going to be my goal with this rogue. Maybe I shouldn't go with a dagger build and maybe go with a sword rogue for end game for the more dps?

Back