Red blinky light - take care of those original PS3s

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
TL;DR: Get a warranty if you haven't thought about it, and try to clean out your PS3 with air if you can. Extended warranty is $45 for 1 year, 60 for 2. I am the "I never buy warranties" type of guy, and I will be getting a warranty.

K, so I recently got the red blinky light (similar to YLOD, but a tad different). Basically, heat got to the board over time and caused connections to wear out. There is a self fix, but that typically doesn't last very long. I will be sending it off shortly for Sony to service it, as my wife was very adamant that it needs fixed quickly. I thought I'd throw some info in here.

First, be aware that apparently the launch-era consoles, especially the 60gb model, are starting to drop. The reason for this (typically) is that the goo binding GPU or CPU (forget which) wears out after about 3 years, and takes about a year after that.

I just wanted to encourage folks to take a serious look at adding an extended warranty to your PS3 if you have an older console.

Other tips:
1) Apparently having your console sitting vertical is supposed to be better for it, heat-wise, due to horizontal alignment blowing the heat down (which causes the heat to rise back up into the console).
2) Dust that thing out often. You can't get to the real innards without taking it apart, but try to get what you can by vacuuming it.

Back