raid specs that offer a chance to be 2 things

My toughts are, choose what you want to do, Heal, DPS, or Tank and go all out on that. Far to often you loose allot by trying to surve duel purpose. But do what you think is fun.

For a priest to be an effective healer, they have to put a minimum of 13 points into discipline to get 15% of their out of combat mana regen to occour while in combat. We need to go 23 into discipline to get the synergies of divine spirit\improved divine spirit in the discipline tree and spirtual guidance in the holy tree. So nearly all the priests have discpline talents to support their holy talents. But rarely do they go down two trees to be able to do two things unless it is while they are grinding levels.

Also, as Mordos eluded to, dual or offspeccing doesn't come without costs. Understanding what you give up and how to compensate for it (if its even possible) is half the battle. Actually compensating for it is another half the battle, and then living with the fact that the compensation you have to pay to equalize the equation isn't enough is the third half.

In the end, do what you find is fun, because if you don't find it fun, it ain't worth doing.

What are you looking to do? You seem to be confused as to why you are going into protection?

Kings, concentration and Guardian's Favor are useful for a PVP healing build but concentration, improved devotion aura and guardian's favor are poor choices for tanking. The talents you should be looking at early in protection to aid in tanking is precision, toughness, anticipation and at a minimum improved righteous fury.

To make me happy... duh.

lol.

Brug,

On one note, there's a difference between having fun and benefiting the raid. Some people have fun by raiding, so there's little difference and the way you specc becomes much easier. However, there are other people whose views of fun are centered on other aspects of the game, such as Battlegrounds or Arenas. If you try to specc for PvP and raiding at the same time, it's likely you're not going to fulfill your maximum potential in either regard.

I would suggest find whichever you enjoy most and go for it, don't try to juggle it.

I don't know why you would want to specc into protection when your main specc is Holy; it won't help you in farming, tanking, or anything else. If you DO find you have some talent points left over, Ret is probably 2nd best tree to spend them in.

Last edited:
Brug,

I just looked at your current talents on the armory (44/17) and I can fairly say that you have a solid specc for raid healing.

its not bad, and you could probably tank some 5 mans decent but you wont be able to offtank too far into Kara with it. When I first went to Kara fully geared and specced for tanking I could offtank to curator but even then stressed the healers a lot on the big arcane protectors around curator and you wont have holy shield which is 35% of my mitigation

Brugalin, we need more healers than we do tanks. You don't have to drop healing if you don't want to.

we have more than enough tanks too, ask the 3 or 4 that get left out of gruuls each week:) week before last we were short on healers and sandric respecced to holy for Gruuls.

Look at it this way..

In a 10 man raid you have 3 healers, 5 dps, and 2 tanks.

In a 25 man raid you have 6? healers, 15 dps, and 4 tanks.

Tanking is the most competitive specc there is. Just because there are fewer tanks in number than other classes doesn't necessarily mean you need several more. Wheretoo is right, there are many tanks that get left out of raids all the time. That's part of the reason why I moved Reuben to another account, so that he could level up faster and I could play him more.

Any given night, we can have a shortage or surplus or any given role. However, among the overall Redeemed raiding population, we are "overweight" with DPS, especially range DPS, and "underweight" with healers ... so all else beign equal, a healer would have a better shot at getting a spot But that doesn't mean that on any given night, one or more teams might have plenty of healers and not enough dps.

As far wiser raiders than me have posted above, with "hybrid" specs you can perform well in 5-mans ... but not raids, where your role is much more specialized and performance needs are much higher. I find that as a druid, specced full resto but with alternative gear sets I can do decently in 5-mans .... but wouldn't dream of hybrid raiding. For raiding, I think the close that we realistically get is asking our tanks to also carry melee dps gear (and vice versa, except for rogues).

Using specs really isn't a viable path to opening up raid opportunities for yourself. Not only because you compromise your performance, but in a raid enviroment there is a TON of learning for your specific role that makes it hard to just switch around at will ... and I would argue that there are relatively few players who have the time to learn multiple roles (on multiple toons) well enough to maintain raid-quality performance.

If you want to give yourself the best opportunity to raid:
1) Be available as much as possible. Often RL makes that impossible for many of us ... so this isn't one to stress over. Just be patient.
2) Make your gear as good as possible from non-raid opportunities ... don't just stop at the minimum requirements.
3) Prove that you can play your toon ... never feel entitled to a slot ... feel like you should earn it every time.
4) Prove that you're a team player ... often if you're fun to raid with because you're conscientious about when to speak and when not to, if you're deferential when it comes to gear, if you're prepared with consumables for yourself but also share with fellow raiders, if your macro optimization is done OUTSIDE of raid time, if you show you're willing to listen to and learn from raid leaders, if you're flexible and grateful and gracious about the opportunities you get to be on a team ... people will want to make room for you. People will give up their spot for you. People will pass on gear so that you can get it. Blessed are the meek, as they shall inherit the earth. And the pfat lewts.
5) In RL, sometimes, the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" often holds true. In Redeemed raiding ... "the squeaky wheel might get muted on vent and put in meditation in guild chat." Well, that's not so much true but it's certainly not the way to win the respect of your guildmates.

Just to provide a counter perspective to what Gilga said - I'm a hybrid spec druid healer (specced for pvp healing), I have 19 (or so) less pts in healing than gilga does. None of the 19 pts I have chosen outside of resto benefits my role as a raid healer at all. I seem to do fine in raiding. XD

Almost any talent tree has a point of diminishing returns. Once you hit that pt, you still gain *some* benefit from continuing to put pts into the tree with regards to your primary role, but there are also counter benefits at that point to diversifying your abilities because pt for pt overall (for solo, pvp, heroic, etc) other trees provide more value.

As an example for druids - There is benefit to putting the full 61 pts into resto. This is what i sacrifice: 20% threat reduction on heals, faster healing touch, more mana efficient healing touch and tranquility, stronger healing tough, un-interruptible tranquility, more spirit.

Now to talk about the diminishing returns on each:
20% threat reduction - probably the hardest to swallow losing. I am almost always the first healer dead in mordos raids. I keep up very nicely in TPS with some of our DPS. XD but on the other hand, very few boss fights do i worry about this. boss fights are generally what matter.

talents related to healing touch: I seriously cast healing touch without nature's swiftness maybe... 2 times per night. keeping that in mind, those would be 13 talent pts to modify a spell that I cast less than a dozen times in a night.

tranquility talents - I use tranquility maybe... 2-3 times a night, and with barkskin it's uninterruptible anyways.

moar spirit - spirit is quite nice for tree druids, but... not *that* nice.

Ok, now, what do I gain for saccing those 19 pts?

100% nature's grasp - key for getting rogues, wars, enhance shams, hunter and lock pets off you in pvp.

Un-interruptible by dmg roots and cyclone - uninterruptible CC? - yes please.

imp demo roar - this is probably the least worthwhile but i need it to get deeper in the tree - it still does reduce incoming melee dmg

imp bash - +2 sec on stun for pounce and bash? yes please.

Thick Hide - 10% more armor - not as useful in caster form, but it's multiplied in bear form - which is important for pvp again.

feral charge - druid intercept? yes please.

That's my thought process as I'm deciding my spec. By saccing 19 pts in spells that although they are part of my primary role, they are used infrequently, I'm able to gain significantly more survivability in pvp.

Back