PVP Mage Items.

Odale

I am making Klangdon into a PVP mage and I dunno what I'm doing. :D

I have a few questions:

First - What glyphs should I get? I picked up some that seem obvious (such as Glyph of Ice Barrier) and others that don't seem so obvious (such as Glyph of Water Elemental).

Second - Is enduring Winter better to have than Torment the Weak?

Third - Who wants to let me in their 1800+ Arena team? XD

Fourth - The third question was a joke.

Fifth - Would having mining and herbalism (extra stam and a heal) be worth it for a PVP mage?

Sixth - Thanks for the help! :)

Glyphs: You definitely want Ice Barrier and Evocation. The third one is a little up in the air. Blink or Water Ele or et cetera or maybe even so forth. I actually have the glyph of forstfire atm...probably gonna change it soon, though.

To Question 2: No. Torment the Weak is EVERYTHING. I actually don't even have a single point in Enduring Winter.

#3: If you find someone, let me know

#4: inorite?

#5: Herbalism is nifty, especially for Ice Block/Lifeblood. The extra stam is...meh. I'd say JC, BS, or Enchanting would be better for the extra spellpower. You don't need crit rating as frost because that's what Shatter is for.

I can't, for the life of me, see the advantage of using glyph of mana gem over Evocation, especially if you're playing 2s without a healer, or doing BGs when you may or may not ever be healed...ever.

EDIT: Although I did mean to mention glyph of Polymorph earlier and simply forgot.

I use the following glyphs..

Evocation
Ice Barrier
Mirror Image

I used to use the Mana Gem one..
Personally I have Alchemy and Herb..Herb for the HoT, and Alchemy b/c u can use the endless mana and health pots in arenas plus the Flask of North.

Now I remember what I was gonna say...Mana Gem glyph is wayyy more beneficial over the Evo glyph in several areas especially if you have a healer.

First Evo is primarily a 2s glyph w/o a healer, so if you are doing 2s I'd say go 4 it especially w/o a healer. Reasons not to get it.

1. 3s or 5s will have heals..or a good team will.
2. Evo is easily interrupted by silence, charge, Hammer of Justice...well you get the picture.
3. Mana Gem not interruptible and generally will restore more mana.

Now speaking primarily from a 2s perspective.

I don't use the Polymorph glyph b/c neither I nor Camm have any DoT's.
The Ice Barrier glyph is a life-saver...especially when a dumb warrior does Whirlwind or whatever it's called and then double-charges you. OP
I use mirror image b/c at times we've won matches simply b/c we caught the other team off-guard w/ so many ppl there..An Extra Gnimish = Extra confusion..
Don't use the Eternal Water glyph..the Freeze ability by your pet is tantamount at times especially if it means them getting just out of range of the Killing blow b4 there healer can get to em.

I don't claim to know it all about arenas or frost mages...but the Frost mage has been my passion since WoW..first came out.
At least you got the most important factor right Klangdon......Gnomes Rule All!!!

One other thing use the following macro..it stops everything you're doing to cast Silence

---------------------
/stopcasting
/cast Counterspell
---------------------
A silenced healer = pwned

Heres another awesome macro I use...

This sets your target as your Focus then sheeps them, leaving you free to pwn another target. When sheep breaks or runs out use the macro again to recast sheep on your focus w/o dropping the selection of your current target..

Ex...Target Bob the priest cast Polymorph Macro, switch to Bill the dumb warrior, throw everything u have on him...
Uh oh..sheep is breaking..recast Polymorph Macro and continue beating down Bill w/o switching your target to Bob.

You can also set up another macro like this for Counterspell, just change /cast [target=focus]Polymorph(Pig) to /cast [target=focus]Counterspell
However keep the first macro for CS as well in the event you have 2 casters...theres no point in cs'ing a sheeped target.
-------------------------------------------------------------
/clearfocus [target=focus,dead][target=focus,noexists]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [target=focus]Polymorph(Pig)
/stopmacro [nogroup]

Last edited:
I can't, for the life of me, see the advantage of using glyph of mana gem over Evocation, especially if you're playing 2s without a healer, or doing BGs when you may or may not ever be healed...ever.
I don't know about you but a mage evocating is a huge attack me sign.

I don't know about you but a mage evocating is a huge attack me sign.

A mage evocating out in the open, within your range is a huge attack me sign. A mage who used inivs, ran behind a pillar, or back to the starting room, etc...is safe for at least 2 to 3 seconds against anything that is not a hunter or warrior...or mind-reader.

Much like has been said: Evocation is best for 2v2 and Battlegrounds. It's particularly effective in 2v2 with a Rogue who can hide away or CC/stun the enemies while you heal yourself. You will rarely run out of mana in 2v2...but you will be chased relentlessly by the other team.

Last edited:
A mage evocating out in the open, within your range is a huge attack me sign. A mage who used inivs, ran behind a pillar, or back to the starting room, etc...is safe for at least 2 to 3 seconds against anything that is not a hunter or warrior...or mind-reader.

Much like has been said: Evocation is best for 2v2 and Battlegrounds. It's particularly effective in 2v2 with a Rogue who can hide away or CC/stun the enemies while you heal yourself. You will rarely run out of mana in 2v2...but you will be chased relentlessly by the other team.
It's desperate times if you have to invis + evocate to leave your partner against 2 others by himself, especially since you're not doing anything while it's happening.

It's desperate times if you have to invis + evocate to leave your partner against 2 others by himself, especially since you're not doing anything while it's happening.

Well, yeah. A 60% channeled heal is desperate times, but just as you can be interrupted by a stun or CC, you also have some great CCs to allow you the time. Polymorph, Frost Nova, Ele Freeze, Blind, Kidney Shot, etc.

Plus, Evocation is currently only like 6 seconds with decent haste and you probably wouldn't channel the entire duration.

I dunno, it probably won't come into play that often (i would think) as a frost mage since your spells don't cost a bajillion mana and you have Ice Barrier to at least mitigate some damage. I mean, unless you get focused or you're really squishy.

Usually when I'm on a frost mage, they don't have time to evocate. I'm in their face the entire time pretty much.

EDIT: And when I see them going invisible, I wait till the split second they go invis and fan of knives them out of it. Or, if they are arcane I switch out to deadly poison and it ticks them out of invisibility.

Last edited:
Usually when I'm on a frost mage, they don't have time to evocate. I'm in their face the entire time pretty much.

EDIT: And when I see them going invisible, I wait till the split second they go invis and fan of knives them out of it. Or, if they are arcane I switch out to deadly poison and it ticks them out of invisibility.

And this is reason #83 why Dwarf Mages are going to be sick in PvP

Back