Problem installing Medieval II

Bonk!Ow!

Banned
It installs all the way to data_3.pack, then it says that the data_3.pack is an "improper function" (maybe invalid function? Not sure, but the screenshots will be up soon)

Here are the troublesome files:
troubleske9.jpg

(at one point I cleaned it off just in case it was dirty and it got to data_4.pack and then stopped working with the same error message)

It had scratches on the CD (this is disc 1 of 2, just fyi) and I took it to a local video store and had it repaired and it STILL doesn't work. :(

EDIT: Screenshot
troubles2cz5.jpg

Last edited:
<--- His flogging stick is his Windows Vista-run Laptop.

Have you tried to update your vista?

Last edited:
<--- His flogging stick is his Windows Vista-run Laptop.

Have you tried to update your vista?

I can try

btw so far the fixes provided on the links CorpFox gave don't work such as copying disk to HDD but I will try the memcheck thing

I can try

btw so far the fixes provided on the links CorpFox gave don't work such as copying disk to HDD but I will try the memcheck thing
Try to update vista.

As far as copying the CD to the HD... it will still want the CD as the program was fashioned in such a way that it will read from the CD anyway.

Read it as: "See if you can update vista".

I just checked, and there's 7 "optional" updates that have never been installed from who knows how long ago, including one or two graphics card related ones and several others I don't remember the names of. Updating as we speak/type

including one or two graphics card related ones and several others I don't remember the names of. Updating as we speak/type

Don't let vista update your drivers. It has _really_ bad hardware detection and will install a old driver that is incompatible. If your lucky it will work, but I have seen several boxes crippled by that "feature" and you end up with a really old driver.

Don't let vista update your drivers. It has _really_ bad hardware detection and will install a old driver that is incompatible. If your lucky it will work, but I have seen several boxes crippled by that "feature" and you end up with a really old driver.

um so how am I supposed to do it, manually? Like go in the device thing and update it manually or something

It had scratches on the CD (this is disc 1 of 2, just fyi) and I took it to a local video store and had it repaired and it STILL doesn't work. :(

What did the local video store do to repair it?

Have you tried it on a Non-Vista PC/Mac?

What did the local video store do to repair it?

Have you tried it on a Non-Vista PC/Mac?

They put it in this machine

I don't know how to describe it

Also, the XP computer won't even run the disc, I am beginning to think it is Gamestop's fault for selling me crappy discs

EDIT: Hey wait a second there are still scratches on this thing, I hate this so much. I usually have good experiences with Gamestop but I guess there's a lesson to buying a game that says new but isn't factory sealed... d'oh time to do something about taking this thing back somehow and ordering an actual new copy from WalMArt :p

Last edited:
I usually have good experiences with Gamestop but I guess there's a lesson to buying a game that says new but isn't factory sealed
And it seems as though it's standard procedure for GameStop.

GameStop's business model (sell opened packages as new, buy back games at pennies on the dollar, and sell used games at 10% discount) is broken.

If you want a new game, go to a legitimate retail establishment.

If you want a used game, search on eBay or find a local used games store that isn't a national chain.

Back