Priest Raiding Requirements

Avesther

The low down on teh PRR because I've been asked over and over again. Now it will be in black and white for all to read:

Karazhan (while on farm and the utlimate group make up is determined by the Kara run leader, for best success, follow these guidelines):
Healer -
Healing : +1000 unbuffed (if you specced for divine spirit, including the spirit buff)
Mana regen : 100 mana per 5 while casting
Mana : 7,000 unbuffed
Spec: Holy - Disc or Disc - Holy with a focus of taking healing over dps talents.

DPS -
Shadow damage : +750
Spec: Shadow for both VE (not necessarily improved) and VT
Mana : 6,000 unbuffed
Spell hit : No more then 6% with 5/5 shadow focus (max benefit from +hit is reached at 16% with 5/5 shadow focus (10% +6%))

Beyond Karazhan:
Assuming you are exalted with the Violet eye, these specs should be fairly easy to attain. Final raid make up is upto the raid leader and that may mean being pulled into a 25 man raid before you even have these stas.

Healer -
Healing : +1600 unbuffed (not inlcuding spirit)
Mana regen : 140 mana per 5 while casting (not including spirit)
Mana : 8,500 unbuffed
Health: 7,500 buffed with an option of getting over 9,000 buffed
Spec: Holy - Disc or Disc - Holy taking all healing talents over dps\pvp talents 41 holy/20 disc or 38 holy / 23 disc for spirt are preferred healing specs.

DPS -
Shadow damage : +950
Spec: Shadow for both VE (not necessarily improved) and VT
Spell hit : No less then 5% and no more then 6% with 5/5 shadow focus
Health: 7,500 buffed with an option of getting over 9,000 buffed
Mana : 7,500 unbuffed

At this point, the raid leaders have not come to me asking to determine specs for a disc priest or how they could be used in the current content we are progressing through. If you would like to persue a raiding career as a discipline priest (41 points for pain supression) please talk with me first.

Raider Status
To clarify, raider status only gets you into priority queue order on progression raids. Once the boss we are learning is deemed on farm status (generally defined as 3 consecutive kills where each kill took 3 or less attempts), the raider vs non raider priority disappears and the raid invites will be determined by who signs up and first come first served.

The raider status is prestigious in that you get to go to new content first, the draw back is it will cost you as a priest dearly as you will go through alot of consumables and alot gold in repairs. If you are not prepared to put up with the required outlay of resources, that it perfectly fine. You will get your opportunity to experience the boss kills once they are on farm and not necessarily as costly to go and enjoy.

To become a raider as a priest, I look for people who:

1. Understand the priest class, either as dps or healing.
2. Are willing to check their ego at the door and accept constructive critism of their performance. That critism may not come from me or another priest but from a dead tank who you were assigned to heal. (It should be noted that should any guild member make deragotory remarks (ie...you stupid healer, l2heal etc) instead of being constructive (ie...I'm taking 7k damage every hit, be sure you aren't waiting for me to take damage before starting to heal, it might be too late by then) please let me know immediately and if I'm not available, let a raid or guild leader know)
3. Come prepared to the raids they are invited to. Do you have consumables, candles, mana potions, bandages?
4. Are not just about raiding: Do you volunteer your healing\dps services to 5 mans in the guild. Are you willing to help somebody do something you utterly bored with doing, is the whole concept of raiding one of those fun things in the game to do, but not the end all be all of the game?
5. Are concerned about their personal perfomance so that the performance of the raid and guild will improve by your improvements. Improvements come from meeting gear requirments, getting the best enchants and gems, and most importantly, practicing your skill as a healer and\or dps'er.
6. Gaining loot is somewhere near the bottom of your priority list for the game. You are the type of person who can get as excited for somebody gettting a piece of gear as you would for yourself. The rush for you comes from downing a boss and overcoming challenges with friends and family.

If you feel you have what it takes to be classified as a raider, give me a shout in game. Or, if you contact a raid leader or a guild leader, they'll talk to me and we will get the ball rolling.

These may change over time and I'll post changes as necessary.

Last edited:
are you accepting pallys as priests if we promise to raise both hands and wear cloth?

The spell hit cap is actually 16% so you need 6% through gear alone, along with 5/5 shadow focus. As far as your unbuffed mana pool of 8500 for beyond Kara, IMO that's a tad high, especially for where Redeemed is as far as raid progression. Quantam had an unbuffed mana pool of around 6800 and I NEVER went OOM. It's all about stacking the +shadow dmg. Reach your spell hit cap 1st, and then max out your shadow dmg as high as possible. Doing this = win. I want to see another shadow priest get as much shadow dmg as I had so the shadow priest can reclaim the top DPS spot on those WWS reports lol. Is +1290 shadow dmg unbuffed while being spell hit capped really that hard to get? Come on guys don't be lazy. :D

all the cool pallies wear cloth already, especially us tanks:)

Blouse of the Righteous Protector, Skirt of the Champion and Merciless Lamellar Heels is not on this tankadins gear shopping list... So last fall...

Another note about mana pool size, based on how much +shadow dmg you have and the length/needs of the boss fight, you have to decide how hard you can DPS to make it last the whole fight. And FYI if you have to choose between doing mind blast or shadow word: death only to conserve mana, do shadow word: death as its more mana efficient.

<snip> especially for where Redeemed is as far as raid progression.<snip>

Ummm... we dropped Mag, Lurker in the past few weeks, and are going to kill Al'ar soon... we are progressing fine.

NOTE: Can you tell Mordos is protective of the progression thing?

No shadow priest with up to Mag progression can have both 1290+ shadow dmg AND an 8500 unbuffed mana pool while being spell hit capped. You can only see those types of numbers when gearing up in BT/Hyjal.

Actually Insanity's main Shadow Priest raider has almost identical stats as myself only a little higher +damage and they are progressing nicely in BT. Look up Tolone on the Armory.

I relooked at Arakk's, Strongtowers and Alhana's armories and determined 8500 maybe high, 8000 is entirely plausable but 7500 seems to be entirely attainable given our progression and bumped mana down to reflect that. I also bumped the too hit down to 6%, forgot to the 1% built, unable to do anything about it , resist rate.

And no, Pallies are not priests regardless of how much cloth you wear.

Don't forget you need 8k health (Able to have that for a boss fight when needed

And should be atleast close to Exhalted with:
CE
Sha'Tar
Aldor/Scryers

Is there a nice gear wish lists for leveling between 60-70 as a priest to meet the minimum requirements listed above?

Make your frozen shadoweave and spellstrike sets for when you hit 70, bracers of havok and cloak of the black void as well to start with.

It's all coming, give me time. The bible wasn't written in a day and I promise, I won't take as long to write all thise out!

And yes, Having the Frozen Shadoweave and Spellstrike sets crafted will go a long way for SPriests.

is wearing a skirt or dress required? because I really like to wear my Dickies when I work. They're so comfy.

...Is +1290 shadow dmg unbuffed while being spell hit capped really that hard to get? Come on guys don't be lazy. :D
When I quit, I came close (or so I thought.. =P) and would have had it done if I was as interested as I was when I started Odd. The gear is accessible to you, Quantam proved that to us while he played, but it requires an insane amount dedication to achieve.

Last edited:
Back