priest corner: holy vs. disc

Chunlin

i heard that holy is better in raid?
but doesn't disc have better group heal?
so is holy better in raid for tank heal?
do we have any holy priests?

I'm a Holy Priest, haven't done any raids yet (almost got the gear to start), but I think it boils down to the need of the raid as to what is better. Holy priests are good for straight up Heals/AoE healing whereas Discipline is for damage mitigation. I *think* that Discipline would be better tank heals, and I know Holy has better group heals with Serenity and CoH (and the Lightwell, but that is dependent on the players rather than the healer and shouldn't be trusted to be used), as well as the mastery buff that works with Prayer of Healing (and all direct heals).

My take is that they are equal but different.

It depends on which mechanics you like. I like bubbles! I dislike chakra thing.

But, I would hold off any changes until after the next patch.

It really depends on your personal playstyle and your typical raid composition as far as healers go. Having both a holy and a disc priest in the raid is ideal so if you already have one I would go the other way. One boss where a disc atonement build really shines is on Halfus Wyrmbreaker. I've heard of guilds stacking disc priests just for that fight because it works out so well.

When I first started to heal at the end of WoTLK I was Disc, then I went Holy,. now I'm Disc again... haha.

I think overall I like Disc more. You can still land fairly large heals in Disc and it has lots of toys to play around with (smite healing is amazing).

# The duration of Levitate has been increased to 10 minutes, up from 2.

# The mana cost of Power Word: Fortitude has been reduced by approximately 68%, making it roughly equal to the cost of Mark of the Wild.

# The mana cost of Power Word: Shield has been increased by approximately 31%, but its effect has been increased by 208%.

# The mana cost of Renew has been reduced by 24%.

# The mana cost of Shadow Protection has been reduced by approximately 65%, making it roughly equal to the cost of Mark of the Wild.

# Talent Specializations

* Discipline

o Focused Will now procs when the priest is critically hit, in addition to its current effect.

o Improved Power Word: Shield now also increases the amount absorbed by an additional 15/30% when cast on oneself.

o Pain Suppression is no longer dispellable.

* Holy

o Blessed Resilience will now proc when the priest is critically hit, in addition to its current effect.

o Chakra states now last 1 minute, up from 30 seconds.

o Desperate Prayer now heals the priest for 30% of their total health, up from a very subpar value.

o Holy Concentration now increases the amount of mana regeneration from Spirit while in combat by an additional 15/30%, down from 20/40%.

o Holy Word: Chastise now has a 30-second cooldown, up from 25. In addition, it properly breaks from damage.

o Lightwell's health has been increased by 50% (for PvP purposes).

o Serendipity now has Spell Alert and Floating Combat Text feedback support.

o Surge of Light can now also proc from Flash Heal and Greater Heal, and can now also critically hit.

# Glyphs

* Glyph of Mind Flay no longer requires Shadow Word: Pain to be on the target.

* Glyph of Pain Suppression has been renamed Glyph of Desperation and now allows Guardian Spirit to be cast while stunned, in addition to Pain Suppression.

* Glyph of Psychic Horror now reduces the cooldown of Psychic Horror by 30 seconds, down from 60.

* Glyph of Spirit of Redemption has been converted into Glyph of Prayer of Mending, which increases the healing done by the first charge of Prayer of Mending by 60%.

I think as your gear gets better you'll be less worried about it. I used to sweat bullets over my mana... but not anymore due to improved gear. Heroic level gear IS that much better.

mmmm i used to love love love healing on my priest......then i tried a pally :p that's my suggestion.. go pally ^.^ so fun.

From what I've seen in raids, both specs are viable...as far as just heals I'd say holy is the way to go. When the patch comes disc will be more viable than it is now cause of the bubble change. I'm always biased towards holy though.

I would add that holy's Circle of Healing is probably the most useful healing spell for many many bosses. So many encounters require AOE healing and holy is definitely way better at that than disc.

I respecced my 2nd spec to Holy(for the 1st time ever I think actually) and I have to say that I like the chakra mechanic.

Back